Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Any Palomino Thoroughbred Trailer owners out there

I realize that we're a minority within Palomino family (as opposed to Puma and Sabre) and definitely within the scope of all TT’s in general, but I’m pretty happy with our unit thus far. Just wanted to start a new thread within the Palomino forum to make contact and gauge any impressions, good, bad, ugly,,,, any mods... etc.

Love this forum…..

Thanks!

Sorry...

My signature didn't post

Patrick Mahoney
2011 Palomino Thoroughbred Ultra-Lite T-273
F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
pmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a palomino sabre 32 bhok-6 5er that we purchased new this year and love it ...... I guess that is why we bought it .
I am currently replacing all bulbs and lighting inside and out with led lighting. Including the marker lights and tail lights.
I am making my own winterizing kit and mounting the suction line in the same location as my fresh water / city water location for ease of winterizing along with the three way valve.
I fabricated my own stabilizers for camper wobble .
I am currently mounting a high volume computer fan in the cabinet that houses my convertor for additional heat extraction .
I am also waiting for my thin wall aluminum diamond plate to be cut so that I can install it in the front as a rock guard to my basement .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #3

Nice Mods

I like a lot of the ideas (ok all of them)... are you going to post on the Mod forum when completed. Not quite sure what you mean with the suction modification but with the torsion axles our unit seemed like a bouncy castle with all the movement of the kids in back... I was considering the Wayne's Stablizers to get for side / front / back to help. Already use the X bracing, which helped a bit but still very noticable.

Like the LED replacement.. I assume that it's a housing / bulb replacement altogether? Is that something custom or off the shelf that can be easily swapped.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

some of them are in my profile albums i have many pics yet not downloaded but working on it .
as for the suction ........ In order to winterize I have to crawl into my basement and un hook the suction line to the pump in order to hook up the line to suck antifreeze out of the antifreeze jug . So I re-plumbed my water line with a three way valve to the outside of the camper to be able to winterize my unit without crawling into the basement .
All I have to do is turn the valve which shuts off the fresh water supply attach hose to fitting and turn on the winterize supply .
no unhooking of lines and re attaching lines . Everything can be done standing outside of camper .

As far as the led replacement interior lights was as easy as pulling out the buld and replacing with this .

Name:   led48.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  31.6 KB
plug and play .
most common source to buy is LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

any questions just ask !

also see this http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-15868.html
Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #5

Great Stuff

Will look into the LED.. .probably will start with the interior first, assuming this will help a wee bit on the boondocking
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmahoney View Post
Will look into the LED.. .probably will start with the interior first, assuming this will help a wee bit on the boondocking
will help a Ton ! Which is why I am converting .
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #7

We love our Palomino. It's not the fanciest TT you can get, but man it's pretty close. Only complaint would be the storage:

Pass thru storage on front of camper, huge area, but why are the access doors so small? Geez.

There is a door about 12"X12" below the pantry that was inaccessible because they had a hinge on each side it of the door not allowing it to open. I moved the hinges to one side and now have another small storage area about 2 feet deep. What were they thinking?

Our toilet is in it's own little room. There is a medicine cabinet and a small cabinet just large enough to put toilet paper and maybe a hair dryer in. There is plenty of room for a large cabinet for towels and such. Can't figure out why they didn't add something better.

Overall very happy with it though.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
We love our Palomino. It's not the fanciest TT you can get, but man it's pretty close. Only complaint would be the storage:

Pass thru storage on front of camper, huge area, but why are the access doors so small? Geez.

There is a door about 12"X12" below the pantry that was inaccessible because they had a hinge on each side it of the door not allowing it to open. I moved the hinges to one side and now have another small storage area about 2 feet deep. What were they thinking?

Our toilet is in it's own little room. There is a medicine cabinet and a small cabinet just large enough to put toilet paper and maybe a hair dryer in. There is plenty of room for a large cabinet for towels and such. Can't figure out why they didn't add something better.

Overall very happy with it though.

Your palomina sounds like my old flagstaff 832bhss
It had an area below the pantry as well with the same door and hinges but mine housed the water pump/water filter.
Bathroom was right across from pantry and had a medicine cabinet and very wasted space cabinet under sink.
Pass through storage under front part but as you said small doors.
we found storage either very small or very wasted.
my dw removed panels under kitchen sink to open up a lot of space there.
Looking back storage was always a problem and the biggest reason we traded but not the only reason
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #9

We looked at a Palamino fifth wheel when shopping around, but were very disappointed with the quality of construction. Fit and finish was poor, and the drawer slides were junk. And they weren't that much cheaper than a Sabre which was much nicer.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I believe you wanted honest replies.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
We looked at a Palamino fifth wheel when shopping around, but were very disappointed with the quality of construction. Fit and finish was poor, and the drawer slides were junk. And they weren't that much cheaper than a Sabre which was much nicer.
What made you decide on a flagstaff versus a sabre?
Flagstaff 8528 bhss was our first choice but friends of ours bought one a week before we did and we didn't want the same as they had.
Now I'm glad we went went with the sabre bhok-6
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #11

f1100, we really liked the Sabre with the rear living room and the Euro recliners, but we have a restriction on our driver's licencing. With my classification, I cannot pull a camper over 4500 kgs GVWR. It is utterly stupid, as the Sabre's dry weight wasn't much different, it just had heavier axles which boosted the GVWR. Just more evidence of how stupid government is.
The dealer where we looked had a Palamino and a Sabre side-by-side, so it was easy to hop back and forth to compare them. I was shocked at the difference in quality.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
I wonder if they do the TT and 5'ers on different lines. We looked at TT's for 2 years before we made a decision and the Palomino exceeded or matched the others we looked at. There is really some crap out there.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #13

The Palamino we looked at was a 2009, so they may have brought them up to Sabre standards. Glad to hear you are very happy with yours.
I have yet to see the perfect camper, and doubt that I could afford it anyway!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #14

Thanks for your post- yes we have the same double sided hinge compartment as well. As this is our firt season with it- I hadn't had the chance to really get to see what's behind it. I always thought it to be some sort of access.

The only quality issue I have was on the drawers ( slides and thickness of material on the bottom of drawers. Seems like a very thin piece of luan or ??? Dealer is in another state so it's probably worth fixing myself.

Thanks again for the posting! Keep in touch!
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmahoney View Post
Thanks for your post- yes we have the same double sided hinge compartment as well. As this is our firt season with it- I hadn't had the chance to really get to see what's behind it. I always thought it to be some sort of access.

The only quality issue I have was on the drawers ( slides and thickness of material on the bottom of drawers. Seems like a very thin piece of luan or ??? Dealer is in another state so it's probably worth fixing myself.

Thanks again for the posting! Keep in touch!
I actually had 3 that had double hinges; The one I mentioned earlier, one that hides the water heater and another that hides the sub woofer.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
I have yet to see the perfect camper, and doubt that I could afford it anyway!
Well said
Old 10-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #17

got our palomino thoroughbred 831bh in aug.

we have had a few problems

1. lewaking front slide
2. front slide not sealed when open
3. electric tongue jack broke
4. now no 12v stuff works inside with just the battery. it all works when plugged in

ours is a nice unit just these minor things have been happening. we have only used it 4 times.
riggle3219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggle3219 View Post
got our palomino thoroughbred 831bh in aug.

we have had a few problems

1. lewaking front slide
2. front slide not sealed when open
3. electric tongue jack broke
4. now no 12v stuff works inside with just the battery. it all works when plugged in

ours is a nice unit just these minor things have been happening. we have only used it 4 times.

On your 12 volt issue. There should be a reset circuit breaker at or nearby your battery.
just follow the positive cable you should find it.
When you do check for 12 volts on either side of circuit breaker.
If good there then check fuses in you converter panel
Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #19

Love our 2012 T-829VRL Palomino Elite V-nose

We have only had a few months but have really enjoyed so far. We have spent a total of 9-nights camping so far. I like how the V-nose pulls.

2012 Palomino T-829 VRL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
WDH
ffsamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #20

We just purchaced the 2013 Palomino Thoroughbred 310LTD. Haven't had it out yet, but really excited. Any advice for a newby?
Steve_ShelleyTN is offline   Reply With Quote