Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #521

Yes, get some they do help. Lots of choices but most will say xchock or roto chock. You can also make you own.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
Congrats! I do like the new pantry set up. I'm not sure where the space came from. It is quite large...the height makes me nervous to where I look at traffice lights, electric lines etc..and think.."can I make it under that?"

The bunkhouse door has not been an issue with us as we opted for the superlounge vs. the dinnette.

I hope you enjoy many good RV'ing experiences!!
I drove behind my husband and winced every time he went under the traffic lights. There was plenty of clearance but it did look close.

One thing that did give us trouble is a dip in the road where we turn around to back up the driveway. The rear stabilizer jacks dragged across the road. Going to have to find a different way to cross the dip or ask the town to fill in the gully. :-)
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #523

Xchocks for sale at Camping World for $36.36 each. You will want two...
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I drove behind my husband and winced every time he went under the traffic lights. There was plenty of clearance but it did look close.

One thing that did give us trouble is a dip in the road where we turn around to back up the driveway. The rear stabilizer jacks dragged across the road. Going to have to find a different way to cross the dip or ask the town to fill in the gully. :-)
I noticed you have the 2nd AC also. Seems like it's right at the peak. I measured from the ground to the top of the coach and then from the coach to the top of the 2nd AC. I allowed another 2-3" due to the curve of the roof and came up with 13'6", which my diesel pushing buddy tells me is the legal limit. I have noticed a few interstate bridges with clearances of 14'1" and the semi's in front of me barely cleared...talk about pinching a hole in your seat

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post

I noticed you have the 2nd AC also. Seems like it's right at the peak. I measured from the ground to the top of the coach and then from the coach to the top of the 2nd AC. I allowed another 2-3" due to the curve of the roof and came up with 13'6", which my diesel pushing buddy tells me is the legal limit. I have noticed a few interstate bridges with clearances of 14'1" and the semi's in front of me barely cleared...talk about pinching a hole in your seat
That was what I came up with as well. My first drive under a 14'2" bridge had me just a little bit nervous and I swear I heard the radio antenna hit (had the sunroof open and drove really slow).......
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #526

I've been eyeballing the GPS for RV's where you can input your height, length etc and it is supposed to keep you out of trouble. Also gives you info on fuel and food at interstate exits, campgrounds etc.. My buddy with the diesel pusher has one and he says he sleeps better. That is a not to far down on my list of "wants" but I just dropped $ on the Progressive EMS Surge Protector...now that was on the top of my list and I will sleep better

Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #527

My 36 qbok came in yesterday. Should be able to pick it up Tuesday. Looked at it today. What is the dry weight of most. Mine is 12990
Brandon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #528

Mine is 12349 pretty well loaded except for a fireplace.What options do u have?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #529
Always Learning

My dry weight was 12,300 but it weighed more than that by the time I picked it up do to dealer-installed options (slide covers and UltraFab Eliminators) and I drove off the lot with a partial freshwater tank. My actual wet running weight scaled was 13,800 but even that is lower than normal for us. I assume our normal weight is usually around 14,500.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #530

Loaded pretty much. Slide toppers, super lounge, bike rack, trail air root flex . 12 gal water heater, fireplace, bunk instead if couch in bunkroom. I am having washer dryer added at dealer.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #531

Looks like a dually in my future.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #532

Does anyone know the actual length from rear bumper to pin? I've not been able to find this information after a lot if time searching.

In my state, maximum combined length is 55', and I'm wondering if I would exceed that with this fifth wheel.

Thanks much.
chmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #533

I don't have mine yet to measure it but I think it is about 42'.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #534
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmd View Post
Does anyone know the actual length from rear bumper to pin? I've not been able to find this information after a lot if time searching.

In my state, maximum combined length is 55', and I'm wondering if I would exceed that with this fifth wheel.

Thanks much.
I'm from Maryland, also. The fifth wheel is 41' 10" or so a rep told me- I've never measured it. I'm pulling it with a crew cab/long bed truck. Hitched up, bumper to bumper I'm 58 1/2' long.

I emailed with the MDA State Highway Administration (SHA). The actual regulation doesn't limit you to being 55' or less. What it does say is that if you're over 55', then you should attempt to stick to highways and take the most direct route from the highway to your destination.

Not that "I've never had issues" is a legitimate argument- but , I've traveled around MD since July of last year and haven't ever had anyone bat an eye at me.

Quote:
Noncommercial power unit and travel trailer combination may be up to 65 feet BUT anything over 55 feet is required to be on specific routes:

1. Interstate system
2. State routes considered authorized "truck routes"
3. Shortest practical route between designated highways and:
a. point of origin and destination on a particular day.
b. for a distance not to exceed 1 mile, facilities for food, fuel, repairs or rest.

Transportation article 24.104.1.m
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #535

Thanks for the information Brandon327 and ependydad.
chmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #536
Always Learning

Two other things for Maryland...

1) if your gross combined weight for truck and camper exceed 26,001 pounds (not actual weights- the GVWR of the truck and GVWR of the camper), you are supposed to get a non-commercial class A license. Again, I swapped emails with SHA on this. My truck has a GVWR of 12,300 pounds and camper is 15,825 or something. So, I'm supposed to have it. There is a written and on-road driving test. The state has a nice RV Test webpage and booklet describing the test.

2) I don't have all of the details on this yet, but when I renewed my truck registration a prompt came up online about Maryland's Truck Preventative Maintenance Program and that I needed some kind of yearly inspection since my registered weight is over 10,000 pounds. I'm having a hard-time finding if this is for commercial vehicles or is also for private vehicles. I assume I'll be emailing the MVA shortly.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #537

Destin bound tomorrow! Loading it up all day. Can't wait to hit the road.
Nights Camped 2013 - Not enough!
mhuffs9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #538

Our first trip was great. Only a couple of small issues. The wife had a heater going on the receptacle just outside the bunkhouse and the kids were playing their PlayStation, and the breaker tripped a few times. Will have to investigate that, it's never done that at home. other issue was sewer connection was oddly at rear of campsite and I barely had what I needed to connect both drains, had to use the cheap blue one that came with the camper. The height of the outside kitchen wasn't an issue, thought it would be, must just be the slope of my driveway. So, after the shakedown trip I only needed to buy an additional sewer hose, and ......ordered 2 sets of quadra steps. Will transfer my stabilizers to them. $440 on eBay with shipping RV motorhome camper Trailer 24" Quad Step 27" Drop Foldaway Entry Step | eBay

2012 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Package
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #539
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
Our first trip was great. Only a couple of small issues. The wife had a heater going on the receptacle just outside the bunkhouse and the kids were playing their PlayStation, and the breaker tripped a few times. Will have to investigate that, it's never done that at home. other issue was sewer connection was oddly at rear of campsite and I barely had what I needed to connect both drains, had to use the cheap blue one that came with the camper. The height of the outside kitchen wasn't an issue, thought it would be, must just be the slope of my driveway. So, after the shakedown trip I only needed to buy an additional sewer hose, and ......ordered 2 sets of quadra steps. Will transfer my stabilizers to them. $440 on eBay with shipping RV motorhome camper Trailer 24" Quad Step 27" Drop Foldaway Entry Step | eBay
Sounds like a good time!
Depending on the slope of campsites we've been to the outside kitchen was low or just right with one being very high at o.k.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #540
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sounds like a good time!
Depending on the slope of campsites we've been to the outside kitchen was low or just right with one being very high at o.k.

Turbs
X2. Most of the time, it's a little high. Occasionally, just right. And only once where it was low. And once where it was unusably high (but, I also shoe-horned my camper onto a site where I never should have been in so that we could sleep close to some friends- we were at their site the whole time; never even put anything outside).