Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluflame11 View Post
Has anyone tried to use their 12 volt outlets? We are camping off grid and I can not get any power to the 12 volt outlets...neither the cell phone charging station or the one in the outside compartment...any ideas??
We have used the outlets near the charging stations many times.... No problems..... Just a FYI.
Jdulworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #662

Quote:
Has anyone tried to use their 12 volt outlets? We are camping off grid and I can not get any power to the 12 volt outlets...neither the cell phone charging station or the one in the outside compartment...any ideas??
Check your fuses. Have used ours with no problems.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #663
Always Learning

We're plugged into that 12v outlet right now but we're also on shore power.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #664

Hmmm...no luck with the fuses, they are all good...the adapter I am using works fine in the truck so I guess I have to start tracing wiring
bluflame11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #665

Quote:
Hmmm...no luck with the fuses, they are all good...the adapter I am using works fine in the truck so I guess I have to start tracing wiring
Before you go tracing wire, pull the outlets and test them with a multimeter (at the wire as well as where they attach to the outlet.) . Seems odd that neither work. I didn't look in the basement of mine to check, but I wouldn't think they are both drawing from the same fuse.

Ependydad brings up a good point, I wouldn't think you would need shore power but I haven't used them without either.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #666

Well I figured it out...I popped out one of the 12 volt outlets and direct wired the wires on the back of the socket to the plug I was trying to plug in and it worked. I then plugged into the socket and I could see that it was not making contact. The middle post was to wide to fit into the porcelain insulator and it was about 2mm away from touching...I took the socket apart and spaced the stud up the width of a small flat washer so it was even with the insulator...all is good now! Working fine!

Thanks for the replies! And no, you don't need shore power for the outlets to work...I now can say that for sure!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #667

Glad to hear it. Wish I was out camping myself right now. Would be a great weekend around here weather wise but it is a pretty big weekend for us. Iowa vs. Illinois in a tug of war across the Mississippi River tomorrow morning.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #668

That sounds interesting! Sounds like someone is going to get wet!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #669

Just an update, 36qbok is doing awesome with some issues that I have PM'd SabreSam about. I'm not going to bash the unit b/c every situation is unique. I'm hoping that as I've seen many times over SabreSam will help us in every way possible.

So far this season we have traveled nearly 4800 miles with it and love every thing about it. Thank the lord we decided on the front A/C or else we may have been sleeping on the couch in the living area. Since taking delivery in April 2013 we haven't missed one weekend with it!!!

I'll keep the group posted on our situation and resolution as time goes by.
Nights Camped 2013 - Not enough!
mhuffs9017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #670
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffs9017 View Post
Just an update, 36qbok is doing awesome with some issues that I have PM'd SabreSam about. I'm not going to bash the unit b/c every situation is unique. I'm hoping that as I've seen many times over SabreSam will help us in every way possible.

So far this season we have traveled nearly 4800 miles with it and love every thing about it. Thank the lord we decided on the front A/C or else we may have been sleeping on the couch in the living area. Since taking delivery in April 2013 we haven't missed one weekend with it!!!

Sounds good...buying a camper with the 2nd AC at the beginning is so inexpensive, compared to the price of the overall unit, that it's only a win win situation to get it up front...love our dual ac setup & it's a big plus when reselling!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffs9017 View Post

That's awesome! We too have logged about 4000 miles just in the past 6 weeks or so, without so much as an issue. Yeah, a screw here or a latch there, but that's to be expected. I have to laugh though, because we bought our QBOK without the front AC, and wondered if I would regret it because we camp 95% of the time in the NE. However, we planned a trip to Disney with the grandkids and ALMOST pulled the trigger on another AC before we went down....but didn't. That said, when we arrived at Ft. Wilderness last week it was so friggin hot and humid I thought the worst. It actually was very comfortable inside. We did experience some condensation from the vents, but nothing to terrible. Kinda glad I didn't buy the AC now.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #672
Always Learning

Whew doggie- I can't imagine not having the second A/C. :-) I'm sad when we're on a 30amp site and we have to alternate it. But, those times- we out a fan on the kitchen counter inside of the door and blow cold air up to us. We then have a second fan on the dresser in the bedroom. We're prima donnas, what can I say? :-)

As for the condensation- we seem to get it if we have doors/windows open and the A/C on or are running the vent fan in the bathroom a lot.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #673
Always Learning

In other news- here's our setup for the past week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2039153741.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	37538   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3962837687.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	37539  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #674

Dang, if that's your screen room, that's seems to be a good sized site.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #675
Always Learning

It is! This campground is first come, first served but only has a limited number of sewer sites (for the non-sewer sites, they do a honey wagon 3-days a week for free). Not all of the sites are this size, but there are a few.

The only bad to this site is that we're directly across from a bath house. So it's a little noisy at times.

This is Sea Pines in New Jersey and it's one of the Thousand Trails campgrounds.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #676

Sounds good! We 'dropped in' at a CG in Georgia for a stop-over on our way to Disney last week, not that great, but it was good to hook up for a shower etc..That's the chance you take on the road I guess.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #677
Always Learning

We stopped at a place just off of I-95 in Rincon, GA coming back from Florida (to Maryland) last December. Got in at something like 10pm. It was the most level site side to side that I've ever stayed at. Literally dead on level with nothing needed. We were even able to stay hitched to the truck- just had to take some weight off of the hitch to raise the nose up. Used their water and sewer to dump and flush my tanks before we rolled out in the morning. Good enough and fairly cheap AND a pull through at that.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #678
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
Sounds good! We 'dropped in' at a CG in Georgia for a stop-over on our way to Disney last week, not that great, but it was good to hook up for a shower etc..That's the chance you take on the road I guess.
IMO...one of the best campgrounds to stay right off the interstate along I95 in GA will be Coastal GA RV Resort in Brunswick....9-10 rating on every level

Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #679

This place was Golden Isles in Brunswick....in all fairness, we didn't really have time to check it all out. If I had to give an opinion, based on the *smell* in the office and the grass at the site that hasn't been cut in probably two weeks, I'd give it a 4/10. Win some=lose some
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I am going to get a pair of Rotochoks for each side. Right now I have 4 wheel chocks on one side. I'd personally be more comfortable having wheel chocks on both sides.

To be honest, with the knock-off JT's (UltraFab eliminators), there is more movement than I expected. Maybe I did something wrong - the's VERY possible. We are out until Sunday and then go again on Thursday of next week, so I'll play with them some more. But, I'm not getting the scissor chocks because of movement - I am getting it because I like them better than regular wheel chocks.

Another thought, this is a TALL fifth wheel - it's quite a bit off of the ground. The 3 steps aren't nearly enough for the site that we're on (the high-side is the opposite side). We actually have a step stool at the bottom of the steps. I plan on investing the $500 in Quadra Steps and step supports when I can. It'll bring the steps down a bit and then I'll still get an extra folding step for when it's needed.

Please tell me more about these quadra steps. The fact that it only had 3 steps was a negative for me when buying. I did like the 4 steps that the Columbus 385 bh had. Do the quadra steps simply bolt on and I assume there is plenty enough room for them to fold up.

What brand will work and where do you get them.
Pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote