Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Any Sabre 36QBOK's out there?

Our Sabre 36QBOK is scheduled to come offline on July 25th and hopefully we'll pick it up later that week. I wanted to know if anyone else has one, what are your thoughts on this new unit?
bjlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlowe
Our Sabre 36QBOK is scheduled to come offline on July 25th and hopefully we'll pick it up later that week. I wanted to know if anyone else has one, what are your thoughts on this new unit?
No ........ but congrats on the new unit when u get it!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Always Learning

We picked ours up this past Saturday and we've spent 2 nights in it now. It's pretty, but HUGE. Be aware, I'm a newbie when it comes to RV'ing.

Little surprises... it has 2 sewer connections. My dealer sucked with their "demo" even after I told them I was completely new to RV'ing. They barely gave me a sewer hose, much less any help in figuring out the 2 tanks. One of the 2 is under a slide pretty far, so it should get hooked up before hand.

There are little things here or there, but I assume that's with everything.

Overall, we're VERY happy with it.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We picked ours up this past Saturday and we've spent 2 nights in it now. It's pretty, but HUGE. Be aware, I'm a newbie when it comes to RV'ing.

Little surprises... it has 2 sewer connections. My dealer sucked with their "demo" even after I told them I was completely new to RV'ing. They barely gave me a sewer hose, much less any help in figuring out the 2 tanks. One of the 2 is under a slide pretty far, so it should get hooked up before hand.

There are little things here or there, but I assume that's with everything.

Overall, we're VERY happy with it.
Thanks for the feedback! We're in the exact same boat as you (newbies purchasing the 36QBOK). Glad to hear you're happy with it. We chose this model over the Sandpiper/Sierra 365SAQ. Hoping that we made the right decision.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Always Learning

We looked at about 60 different units (mostly online based on specs + floorplans). We were only ever able to walk through about 1/2 a dozen of bunkhouse models at dealers + RV shows. I kept a spreadsheet of all of the models with columns for each of the main features that we were interested in. Ironically, after all of that - we ended up buying the Sabre sight-unseen except for pictures straight from the manufacturer. It was nerve wracking to say the least!

The unit is high. I am planning on ordering the quadra-steps to get the last step a little lower AND will pick-up a fold-up step for times where it's just too much. With a shorter wife, an 8 year old daughter and 6-week old son - we want it as easy as possible.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Always Learning

One other thought as I was writing up my first trip report...

Our camper did NOT come with levels on the outside in order to level it. I ended up buying an 18" level from Walmart ahead of time and used that on the floor inside of the door.

The problem was - "level" changed, depending on where you put it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Forgot to ask you about scissor chocks...do you think that you need them or do you have enough stability the way it is?

I plan to get TVs and brackets for the master and rear bunkhouse so Sabre Sam's info was on this in another post was helpful!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Always Learning

I am going to get a pair of Rotochoks for each side. Right now I have 4 wheel chocks on one side. I'd personally be more comfortable having wheel chocks on both sides.

To be honest, with the knock-off JT's (UltraFab eliminators), there is more movement than I expected. Maybe I did something wrong - the's VERY possible. We are out until Sunday and then go again on Thursday of next week, so I'll play with them some more. But, I'm not getting the scissor chocks because of movement - I am getting it because I like them better than regular wheel chocks.

Another thought, this is a TALL fifth wheel - it's quite a bit off of the ground. The 3 steps aren't nearly enough for the site that we're on (the high-side is the opposite side). We actually have a step stool at the bottom of the steps. I plan on investing the $500 in Quadra Steps and step supports when I can. It'll bring the steps down a bit and then I'll still get an extra folding step for when it's needed.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Always Learning

As for the TVs... I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get the wall-mount brackets. I think I might just get the quick disconnects for the cable and plan on throwing the TVs on the bed/couch for travel. The Walmart TVs I bought were TV/DVD combos, so it should be just a single cord that I have to deal with. (That is until we start hooking up the Wii in the bunkhouse. LOL, this sooooo is NOT camping! But we're travelling quite a bit in it.)
Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

I like your stories. We are looking at the 34TBOK. And yes, many will say that this is not really camping, but the memories we are making for our boys is priceless....
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #11
jhw

Sabre 36QBOK

We took delivery of our 36QBOK in June. It's our second camper. First was a 33 ft bumper pull bunkhouse. The Sabre is a whole new ball game. It's BIG but manageable and it pulls like a dream with our Chevy 3500HD Diesel Dually. One word of caution when opening the living area slide. Make sure the door to the kids bunk room is closed. If it's not the door handle might catch on the slide trim and cause a little...uh... problem . I mounted a flat screen above the window in the front BR and mounted another one in the kids BR. I've read that you should not mount a TV to an outside wall but I can't see the harm in doing so. We'll have to let time determine who is right.

I have had a couple of pretty significant problems. The door on the outdoor kitchen was defective on delivery. A few of the rivets connecting the door to the hinge pulled through the metal leaving the door hanging uneven. The dealer took the measurements on the spot and ordered a new door assembly the day I took delivery (at least he said he did). It's been about six weeks and the door still has not arrived. The second problem I'm having is with one of the bunkhouse slides. It stuck open after we returned home from our first trip. I managed to close it and I took it to the dealer for repairs. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago and they still haven't fixed the slide or the door. They claim that the factory has to authorize the warranty work and they won't fix it until they receive the authorization. So between the door and the slide I'm beginning to grow a little impatient. But I believe I have a dealer service issue instead of a factory issue. I intent to contact the factory tomorrow to check out the dealer's story. Bottom line...this is a nice unit and we are looking forward to some great trips over the next few years. I"m disappointed in the quality issues we have experienced thus far but I'm counting on the folks at Palomino to make it right.
jhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhw
We took delivery of our 36QBOK in June. It's our second camper. First was a 33 ft bumper pull bunkhouse. The Sabre is a whole new ball game. It's BIG but manageable and it pulls like a dream with our Chevy 3500HD Diesel Dually. One word of caution when opening the living area slide. Make sure the door to the kids bunk room is closed. If it's not the door handle might catch on the slide trim and cause a little...uh... problem . I mounted a flat screen above the window in the front BR and mounted another one in the kids BR. I've read that you should not mount a TV to an outside wall but I can't see the harm in doing so. We'll have to let time determine who is right.

I have had a couple of pretty significant problems. The door on the outdoor kitchen was defective on delivery. A few of the rivets connecting the door to the hinge pulled through the metal leaving the door hanging uneven. The dealer took the measurements on the spot and ordered a new door assembly the day I took delivery (at least he said he did). It's been about six weeks and the door still has not arrived. The second problem I'm having is with one of the bunkhouse slides. It stuck open after we returned home from our first trip. I managed to close it and I took it to the dealer for repairs. That was 2 1/2 weeks ago and they still haven't fixed the slide or the door. They claim that the factory has to authorize the warranty work and they won't fix it until they receive the authorization. So between the door and the slide I'm beginning to grow a little impatient. But I believe I have a dealer service issue instead of a factory issue. I intent to contact the factory tomorrow to check out the dealer's story. Bottom line...this is a nice unit and we are looking forward to some great trips over the next few years. I"m disappointed in the quality issues we have experienced thus far but I'm counting on the folks at Palomino to make it right.
Welcome to the sabre family.
Welcome to forum.
Good luck and have fun!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Finally Arrived!!!

Here's my 36QBOK that I ordered from RVW. About to go camping with the family in a few hours when the wife gets off work.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

We too are new 36 QBOK owners. We took delivery last Monday and it is back at the dealer for a heavy 14ga wire that was hanging under the rig when we got home with it. I really hope thats not a bad 'omen'. And one of the latchs on the OS kitchen door is junk. I'm not totally nieve, I know there will be issues with it, I just hope there minor ones. Time will tell.
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
We too are new 36 QBOK owners. We took delivery last Monday and it is back at the dealer for a heavy 14ga wire that was hanging under the rig when we got home with it. I really hope thats not a bad 'omen'. And one of the latchs on the OS kitchen door is junk. I'm not totally nieve, I know there will be issues with it, I just hope there minor ones. Time will tell.
Congrats on your new 36qbok!!!

Yes, there'll be plenty of little things that they could've done better. We've made a punch list and will hopefully get them resolved during the winter months. I hope that you get a chance to get your camper out before it gets too cold. We're spending Thanksgiving with our in-laws in North Alabama!

Post some pics when you get a chance...B
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Always Learning

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
I'm curious what the wire hanging from under it was... I know from looking under somethings, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a stray piece of scrap.

And, the latches on the outdoor kitchen leave a bit to be desired. On one of ours, it's so loose that it barely catches. One of the 2 locks themselves were installed upside down so that it looks into thin air and unlocked into more thin air. I will tell you - ensure that you have it locked for travel! Through a miss in communication and standard procedure, my wife and I had ours come open while we were driving down the road!

Overall, though - our issues have been minor. A couple of little things here and there. I love the heck out of this thing! Yes - pictures, pictures are a MUST!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #17

Securing the outdoor stove cover

FYI,

I used chain links purchased from the local home supply store to help secure the cover on the outside stove. Without it, the cover would fling more than 180 degree backward and warp the metal where the hinges are located.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #18

We have had our 2013 Sabre 36QBOK for a few months and have camped with it a few times. We have had a few small issues but all in all are very happy.
Jdulworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #19

Does anyone have any recommendations over the 34TBOK vs. 36QBOK? Trying to decide which way to go. Wondering what the room difference is around the in the master between the 2 and if the main slides are the same size or not.
kritta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Always Learning

It actually appears that you get a slightly more spacious master bedroom in the 34TBOK, but smaller bunkhouse and are missing the 1/2 bath. I can tell you - we LOVE our 1/2 bath with the door directly from the outside. We also love the 2-slides in the bunkhouse - it really opens up the room for the kids and our guests (who get stuck with the kids).

The deciding factor for us was the slides in the bunkhouse and 1/2 bath. I can tell you, my wife and I are (ahem) "healthy" in our stature and we're comfortable in the master bedroom of the 36QB.