Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Any SABRE fulltimers?

Anyone have any experience living in a Sabre? We're looking at the 32RCTS and love the design but have no experience with the brand. Our plans are to retire and go fulltime in about a year. Any insight would be appreciated,
scorekeeper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #2

As long as you realize the Sabre is not an all season camper you should get along ok. I would be really concerned about cold temp and the lack of insulation upgrade option better add the 2nd air conditioner too. We just bought a 2012 Sabre fifth wheel model 34rlqs which we really like and have been impressed so far. We've had several campers in our day and none of them seem cold weather friendly. So again if your going to follow warm weather you should get along fulltiming in a Sabre.
clay douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay douglas
As long as you realize the Sabre is not an all season camper you should get along ok. I would be really concerned about cold temp and the lack of insulation upgrade option better add the 2nd air conditioner too. We just bought a 2012 Sabre fifth wheel model 34rlqs which we really like and have been impressed so far. We've had several campers in our day and none of them seem cold weather friendly. So again if your going to follow warm weather you should get along fulltiming in a Sabre.
Thanks for the comments. Yes we are planning to follow the sun and warm weather. We do enjoying camping in the mountains so could get caught with occasional cooler weather but that would be the exception. We would probably need the second a/c more than heat. I had heard from someone that the Sabre was designed more for weekends and week vacations than for full timing so was a little concerned if I was missing something. It seems to be a quality product from the comparisons we have done. I appreciate your comments and welcome any other suggestions or comments.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

I just traded an 08 Heartland Big Horn in on the Sabre and I know a lot of fulltimers use Big Horns and so far I can't see that much difference, I have lost some exterior storage and central vac but the fit and finish on the Sabre is has good and furniture seems better. So if you have enough exterior storage with Sabre to suit you you should be all set. Make sure you get a coat closet at entry to me that's a must. So again you could fulltime in the Sabre without any issues. I also see on the forum some folks are buying the Columbus which I thought was really nice but quite a bit more $. We bought ours at Tom Raper Rv in Fairfield, Oh and they treated us great. I hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #5

I would suggest the trermopane window option. I'm glad we went with it as our 34REQS-6 has alot of windows an it helps with heat and AC.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay douglas
I just traded an 08 Heartland Big Horn in on the Sabre and I know a lot of fulltimers use Big Horns and so far I can't see that much difference, I have lost some exterior storage and central vac but the fit and finish on the Sabre is has good and furniture seems better. So if you have enough exterior storage with Sabre to suit you you should be all set. Make sure you get a coat closet at entry to me that's a must. So again you could fulltime in the Sabre without any issues. I also see on the forum some folks are buying the Columbus which I thought was really nice but quite a bit more $. We bought ours at Tom Raper Rv in Fairfield, Oh and they treated us great. I hope this helps.
Yes this helps a lot. We were looking at a few other brands with the same floor plan but the Sabre seemed to be the best buy. I agree that the furniture is one of the best features. I appreciate the input on a dealer too since this is our first. We used to camp in an old tt before the kids became so involved in summer sports so we're having to learn a lot. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin
I would suggest the trermopane window option. I'm glad we went with it as our 34REQS-6 has alot of windows an it helps with heat and AC.
I appreciate the input. Since we're newbies I want to make sure I get a clear picture - the thermopane will give is double panes on the entire window including both the solid immovable portion and the section that opens, correct? Do you have awnings in the slide outs?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorekeeper81 View Post
I appreciate the input. Since we're newbies I want to make sure I get a clear picture - the thermopane will give is double panes on the entire window including both the solid immovable portion and the section that opens, correct? Do you have awnings in the slide outs?
Correct, the entire unit is thermopane, but you will lose the crankout style and get all sliders, either up & down or side by side. No I personally don't have awning/toppers on my slides.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

I don't have slideout awnings either. Unless you would be under trees in the fall for extended time I don't see the need for them. They get out of shape and won't roll up right
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Thanks to both of you for your input on the awnings. One dealer mentioned that the awnings would help keep the slide out cooler since they aren't as insulated as the roof. That's the only reason I could see to get them so I wondered if you had the same opinion.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #11

I know several that had the slide awnings installed and weren't happy with them. They said they were noisy in the wind. Others were happy with them so YMMV.