Old 03-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Sadly this is today's quality. Not only with factory workmanship but also vendor factory workmanship (stoves, water heaters, air conditioners, etc) . Until dealers quit accepting units like this it will not get any better. I could provide a list just as long on my new Shasta 185FQ. Bought it the first weekend in February and it is still under repair at the dealer almost 7 weeks later. I'd bail out and buy something else but then I'd have to start this process all over again.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You can't discount any one brand based on a problem unit. All brands have problem units- up to and including the $100k+ luxury trailers.

IMO, it's how the manufacturer reacts in general - do they usually take care of folks? Again, you can't take a single story of a unit/situation from hell as gospel for how things go. For instance, at the same time as my Sabre mess- another family were having huge issues and raged about Sabre. They left with a bitter taste and a bad story to tell and I ended up a satisfied/happy customer.
I hear you Doug, Yours went back to the factory for repairs, but also for the last two months your still repairing stuff. An RV is just constant repairs, from maybe major as you had to miner that you now have,,, Rear stabilizers come to mind right off the bat. All units seem to be in constant repair either major or minor....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I hear you Doug, Yours went back to the factory for repairs, but also for the last two months your still repairing stuff. An RV is just constant repairs, from maybe major as you had to miner that you now have,,, Rear stabilizers come to mind right off the bat. All units seem to be in constant repair either major or minor....

Yeah, but I definitely don't fault Sabre for any of what's happened recently. Clearly the stabilizers were no one but my fault. But I've also dealt with a converter die, the coupe of leaks we've HD, and all of my bunkhouse drawer hardware fail on me- those kinds of things, I attribute to living in something that wasn't meant to be lived in.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, but I definitely don't fault Sabre for any of what's happened recently. Clearly the stabilizers were no one but my fault. But I've also dealt with a converter die, the coupe of leaks we've HD, and all of my bunkhouse drawer hardware fail on me- those kinds of things, I attribute to living in something that wasn't meant to be lived in.
Yea, that is true, but still you think a product that we pay so much money for would be built better then they are was my point. I'm sure by now your becoming handier then you wanted to be. Also the Sabre is at the top of the line, couldn't imagine the stuff that would break on a Rockwood....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #15

I think of Rvs as more of a do it yourself kit than a complete product.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I think of Rvs as more of a do it yourself kit than a complete product.
X2 "Some assembly required."
Old 03-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
I don't think folks get upset that an RV needs ongoing maintenance. They do operate in a rough environment so vibration and weather related wear and tear is expected. The problem is most folks expect to have some sort of a grace period before they have to worry about repairs. Instead from day one they are dealing with manufacturer defects and begin to wonder what did I get myself into. The extreme differences in dealer quality and willingness to work with them only adds to the frustration.

I liken the RV industry to that of US automakers in the 70's. You didn't see improvement there until the Japanese came in and forced it on the manufacturers and dealers. I don't think a foreign competitor in the RV area is viable but if some domestic company steps up to resolve the initial quality issues successfully it could force the improvement across the industry.

I can say Palomino did good by us on the few problems I had with the trailer and finding a quality dealer locally. In the case where I did the repair Palomino had the parts in my hands in a couple of days. Since the warranty ended I haven't had any structural issues other than loose/stripped screws and having to seal roof and body joints. However I also didn't get that new RV honeymoon from repair work that I had expected and that took some of the shine off my purchase.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #18

If there is any way that some of these repairs can be delayed, you could always go to the Forest River International Rally. It's August 14 - 21 and when you register, you get to ask for repairs. It doesn't matter what, just list at least 5 on the registration site and they will fix them - free. If it is a major repair, you may have to take it to factory from there, but everything is covered. Sorry you are having so much trouble.
2 Belgian Tevurens
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #19

it's funny that people want to run half way across the country to get the factory to do a "better" repair job, when they are the ones that installed all the problems in the first place. I let the dealer do the stuff that requires costly parts, but I handle 95% of the stuff myself, even when under warranty. That's the only way to guarantee it's done to my satisfaction.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
it's funny that people want to run half way across the country to get the factory to do a "better" repair job, when they are the ones that installed all the problems in the first place. I let the dealer do the stuff that requires costly parts, but I handle 95% of the stuff myself, even when under warranty. That's the only way to guarantee it's done to my satisfaction.

No kidding!
I've said that in the past as well.

Giving them a second chance, to do what they should have done in the first place.

Shake my head.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS