Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #1

audio issue - interesting find

We purchased our 317 bhsk a month ago. The 317 has a tv that "swivels" from the living area to the bed room at the front of the TT. I noticed early on that they did not hook the TV audio out to one of the aux ports of the "head unit" so one could hear the TV through the 3 sets of speakers (only TV speakers would broadcast the TV audio.) Easy fix, removed the head unit and took the audio out from the TV to the AUX input in the back of the head unit....that part works fine now..

Here is the kicker, the "head unit" does not have an audio out...only 2 aux inputs. No big deal right?...wrong !...how do you watch a DVD in the bed room...I guess you could watch the subtitles on the screen...

The DVD player does broadcast through the head unit and the three sets of speakers (only because of the integration). One would think if you have another audio source (such as a dvd player) it would have an audio output to go to the TV input..

Does Jensen make an upgraded unit?

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Does your audio unit have bedroom speakers?

You can use a video splitter that can route the DVD video to the bedroom TV and you can listen to the DVD in stereo.

Composite AV Cable 1-to-2 Splitter - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #3

No "zone" in the bed room....the 317 has 3 "zones":

zone one is located below the tv (they don't swivel with the tv )
zone two is located above the couch
zone three is located out side...

I had a thought that i could "splice" into one of the zones but then i would be broadcasting over that zone AND the TV input...

I guess I could install a relay switch to break the audio to the zone, but still output to the TV input...

just seems like a big pain in the buttocks for something that they (Jensen) could have integrated for about 2 bucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Does your audio unit have bedroom speakers?

You can use a video splitter that can route the DVD video to the bedroom TV and you can listen to the DVD in stereo.

Composite AV Cable 1-to-2 Splitter - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

-Bill Thomas
Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

For all the grief that Concertone gets, that do a pretty good job delivering the audio. The second TV is always the kicker since you are dependent on the RV manufacturer to figure out how to do it as as you stated; they are not very "audiophile" savvy.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion..

not really audiophile savy...they just missed the boat on basic functionality....

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
For all the grief that Concertone gets, that do a pretty good job delivering the audio. The second TV is always the kicker since you are dependent on the RV manufacturer to figure out how to do it as as you stated; they are not very "audiophile" savvy.

-Bill Thomas
Old 04-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

I have the 2014 317 bhsk and zone 1 is the speakers facing the living room and the speakers above the couch, zone 2 is the bedroom and zone 3 is out side

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

If I understand, you have one TV in the TT. That TV swivels, the whole TV wall swivels between the bedroom and the Living room. The DVD plays through the system, but not the regular TV.

I have the same issue. Only I have 2 TV's one in the living room and one in the bedroom. I don't expect surround sound in the bedroom as that TV is in no way connected to the entertainment center. However the TV in the living room does not play surround sound except when playing a DVD. My solution is going to be to see if I can run a 1/4 check from TV out to the 1/4 jack in on the stereo. (where I could plug in an IPOD) and see if that works. I do not know if the TV has a 1/4 jack as I never looked last year. There is probably some yellow and red connections that can be made as well, TV out to Stereo in. I will explore those options as well. It seems simple enough...but nothing ever is with TT.

13 more days and I'll be camping again!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

What zone do you have for the speakers outside?

-Bill Thomas
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

What zone do you have for the speakers outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjon View Post
I have the 2014 317 bhsk and zone 1 is the speakers facing the living room and the speakers above the couch, zone 2 is the bedroom and zone 3 is out side

-Bill Thomas
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Disney camper

I haven't check my new 26BHDSK on that issue. I played a DVD but the TV was facing the living room and the tv sound was turned down. Now that's gonna bug me...
I did notice the video output from the DVD unit was only 480p, not the 720p and couldn't figure out how to adjust it. My speakers are in LR ceiling, cabinet above couch, and outside.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

I believe the outside speakers are zone 3

Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Disney camper

Yep
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

What Jensen do you have? If it's the one I had (AWM975), it has an HDMI output that will carry audio signal to the TV. I had a swivel TV and played audio through only the TV pretty much all the time. It also had an input for a remote sensor. I bought the remote sensor eye and mounted it below the TV so that the Jensen DVD remote would work from whichever way the TV was facing.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #14

Do you not have a set under the Television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjon View Post

-Bill Thomas
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #15

There should be an audio out that goes from the headunit to the TV, just like a regular DVD player. You will need to run that in order to watch a DVD in the bedroom with the TV swiveled around.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
However the TV in the living room does not play surround sound except when playing a DVD. My solution is going to be to see if I can run a 1/4 check from TV out to the 1/4 jack in on the stereo. (where I could plug in an IPOD) and see if that works. I do not know if the TV has a 1/4 jack as I never looked last year. There is probably some yellow and red connections that can be made as well, TV out to Stereo in. I will explore those options as well. It seems simple enough...but nothing ever is with TT.
Had the same situation in our last camper. Actually a pretty easy fix for this (while I am a bit of an audiophile, it is still a pretty easy fix.) On the back of your TV you should have a couple of L (white) and R (red) connections labeled audio out. There will probably also be a video (yellow) out along with this (no need to do anything with this.) You will need a set of standard RCA cables to run from the back of the TV to an open input (assuming you have one, I had several) on the back of the stereo/DVD unit. You will need to remove the stereo/DVD from the wall, which typically involves removing the face plate and probably 4-6 screws then pulling it out from the enclosure. Figure out which input port you are plugging it into and then when you want to watch TV and listen to it through the Stereo via surround sound, you should just be able to turn it to that input.

Myself I wouldn't go the 1/4 jack route is it in not necessarily visually appealing, but I like to make sure that all of my wires are as hidden as possible which is a little trait I learned during my car audio/security hobby time of life. Hope this helps!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #17

That is the problem...no output

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingwilliamsons View Post
There should be an audio out that goes from the headunit to the TV, just like a regular DVD player. You will need to run that in order to watch a DVD in the bedroom with the TV swiveled around.

-Bill Thomas
Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #18

What is the model number of your Jensen unit?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
daydreaming about camping

what are exact outputs from your Jenson head unit? According to this instalation manual there are fixed line level RCA audio output (page 4 upper left corner).
http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/downlo...ers_manual.pdf

I know that our Jensen unit does line level output to the TV over the RCA composite connection. Our TV has sound with DVD and can be used alone (turn all three speakers zones off, still get sound through TV.)

I think your problem is either an incorrect cable, or something is actually wrong with your unit.

Here is a picture of a different model with the red, yellow and white RCA composite cables in the wire bundle.
[/IMG]

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote