Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Red face Awning problems

I just brought home our Solaire 269BDSK Eclipse. It has a "Carefree" awning with LEDs. When I try to extend the awning out while the slideout is extended, there appears to be interference on top of the slideout.

What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Also....the dinette table is mounted on the standard 2 stainless or aluminum posts that are centered under the table. This setup has no anchoring or clips on the wall to stabilize it and it is so wobbly you can't even use it. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Need some pictures.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Wow! Just looked up that model and it looks very nice. Enjoy.

I'd I'm looking right, there is a kitchen slide that is under the main awning. Maybe "help" the awning stay up, until it is extended out past the slide, then gently let it settle back down and adjust as needed?
Like OC said, probably need some pictures on this one.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

That was a brain fart I guess.....It appeared that it would be a problem, but I kept extending it and it just brushed the top of the slide and extended. After rolling it in and out a few times the fabric has tightened and doesn't rub

The table issue however, looks like pi$$ poor planning. Not sure what to do with that.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

One possible solution is to either leave the slideout in until the awning is deployed or partially retract the slide. Either way, I would put one of these on each corner of the slide.
Camco Awning Rollers - 509423, Awnings at Sportsman's Guide
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
One possible solution is to either leave the slideout in until the awning is deployed or partially retract the slide. Either way, I would put one of these on each corner of the slide.
Camco Awning Rollers - 509423, Awnings at Sportsman's Guide
Just looked at those rollers. Looks like great advice. Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoug View Post
Just looked at those rollers. Looks like great advice. Thanks
For less than $10 and a few minutes work, they might save you from holes being punched in the awning.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
For less than $10 and a few minutes work, they might save you from holes being punched in the awning.
Definitely agree...that's a done deal Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Definitely agree...that's a done deal Thanks!
BTW, beautiful camper! Love the color.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Always Learning

As for the table- I've never liked the ones with only 2 support legs. Friends of ours has that and I've never been crazy about it.

Our table has 3 poles in a triangle shape and it does pretty good. Still gets tippy if someone pushes down on a single corner.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #11

Do you need the bed that the table converts to?

If not I would remove the whole works and go with a small table and chair set.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #12

I think I will see if I can't make some kind of support bracket on the wall if it will support it.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Do you need the bed that the table converts to?

If not I would remove the whole works and go with a small table and chair set.
I had exactly that in mind also. That might be an option I will explore as there are just 2 of us and we don't really need the bed space. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
gwh

Just as an FYI I have that same 269, my awning does not come in contact with my kitchen slide while opening or closing the awning.

As for the table mine is wobbly too, not beyond use but more then I would like.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:

The table issue however, looks like pi$$ poor planning. Not sure what to do with that.
We have a similar (or maybe the same wobbly table). Trailer was at the dealer a couple weeks ago for a few small warranty fixes. I was kind of whining to the service tech about the poor table table design and he immediately said they get that complaint constantly. He added it to the work order and said one of their guys was the designated table fixer. Said they could make it better - not perfect, but better.

Picked it up last night. I didn't get a chance to see exactly what they did, but the work order said they "added longer screws." Table is better. The top doesn't wobble anymore - it is very firmly attached to the legs. You can still wiggle the whole thing but a major improvement. Our dining room table at home has a similar issue because there is a single pedestal in the middle so if you lea n on the edge it moves the whole table. Short of legs on the corners, I don't how you keep a table with legs in the center from moving some. Your idea about anchoring it to the wall seems like a pretty good way to go. The first trip out, ours bounced over and was rubbing the island cabinets. Attaching it to the wall would solve that as well.

But, the dealer did improve the table at no charge under warranty.

We also had a similar "concern" on the awning when it was over the kitchen slideout. When I put a decent pitch on the awning, it actually touches the top of the slide. After a few trips, it seems like that is not a problem. There isn't anything sharp and the awning touches, but doesn't bounce or rub - just stays put. Decided the risk of closing the slide on a pool noodle or similar was worse than letting the awning touch.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
... There isn't anything sharp and the awning touches, but doesn't bounce or rub - just stays put. Decided the risk of closing the slide on a pool noodle or similar was worse than letting the awning touch.
Put one of these on each corner of the slide out.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #17

Look at this, great idea.....
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...fix-50973.html
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #18

Thanks all for the suggestions!

The 3rd leg looks like a great setup. However, my table sits crossways to the trailer and the 3rd leg would be a little harder to implement without being in the way of someone sitting at the table. I had an old Coachman some years ago in which the table was supported at one end by wall brackets. I am going to install brackets in a similar manner, the difference being that they really aren't weight bearing, but rather for stabilization.

We shall see!

Tags
awning