Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #1

Baby has a new pair of Shoes

Just installed a set of Handkook F19 G rated 750-16 tires along with the spare. This is a LT tire and not a ST. It is not the exact same size as a 235.80.16, but pretty close. I know both sides of the argument on LT vs ST, but decided to go with the LT's for several reasons. We had the Akuret OEM tires and we had no problems with them in the 15 months the trailer has been on the road. With that said, I have been nervous since day one. We had about 5,000 miles on them on about 10 trips. Only one long trip to Florida last summer.

We have had tire problems in the past with other trailers, especially on my car hauler. I've probably experience 10 high speed blow outs and had damage done to my trailer on more than one occasion. The E rated tire is just taken to the max of its limits with these heavy rigs and part of my rationale is that any G rated LT tire will be better than an E rated Akuret. A friend has been running the F19 Handkook on his Montana for three years with zero issues. He had several blow outs with extensive trailer damage with Goodyear's. These were Marathons, not the G14's. He got fed up and went to the local commercial tire shop GRC and the manager recommended the Handkook's. He said that he has never seen one fail or returned.

They run 105 lbs of pressure and carry 3,300 lbs per tire. This should be plenty of tire for our Columbus 365RL. We'll see.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

Smart move. The whole broad sweep argument that all LT tires are not suitable for fifth wheels or travel trailers is not valid. Some LT tires may not be a good fit. The buyer needs to select the right tire, as you have, to handle the weight requirements of the application. Smart to go with slight overkill. The higher end, heavier fifth wheels are all offering 17.5 inch LT’s, if not already standard. Given the size and weight of today’s fifth wheels, it is irresponsible for the industry not to be using a light commercial grade, G or H rated, 17.5 inch tire.
If you had the chance to touch/handle the flimsy side walls of the Akuret's comming off your rig, you were likely questioning how they lasted as long as they did.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

If you don't mind my asking, what did the Hankook tires cost and where did you find them?
Thanks

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

I just looked on the Hankook web site, and it showed this tire under their trailer section. They sure do look like trailer tires. Nice choice in my opinion.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

I have these on my Gmc 3500 work van
.very good tires so far.1 year now
We put alot of weight on them with no issues
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Always Learning

When you make this switch, do you also have to change the wheel itself?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what did the Hankook tires cost and where did you find them?
Thanks
Mounted and balanced with tax title license and new metal valve stems $1,498 for 5 tires.

GCR tire center in town. They are a national tire dealer mainly commercial truck tires.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When you make this switch, do you also have to change the wheel itself?
No. The Columbus wheels are rated for 110 psi and 3750 load rating.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #9

That is a great value when you consider how much longer these deep groove commercial tires will last, not to mention added safety and peace of mind.
The tire has a bold tread design that provides excellent driving stability. Asymmetric groove angles reduce groove cracks to a minimum. Uneven abrasion is diminished by the insertion of kerf on the shoulder area. Four straight grooves channel water for superior traction. The tire has optimized variable pitch arrangement that provides even tread wear and low noise level. The wide rib width shoulder prevents uneven wear. The tire has an open groove angle to help avoid stone retention and drilling. The tire has long mileage tread compound, high tensile 3 steel belt, high bead filler and jointless bead wire.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafan View Post
Mounted and balanced with tax title license and new metal valve stems $1,498 for 5 tires.

GCR tire center in town. They are a national tire dealer mainly commercial truck tires.
Thank you, I am familiar with GCR, they have done some tractor and farm equipment tires for me. The nearest to me would be in Waco.

Do you happen to have noticed the speed rating on the tires by any chance?

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #11

From the internet it looks that the tire is speed rated for 68MPH.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
From the internet it looks that the tire is speed rated for 68MPH.
K speed rated tire is in fact 68mph.