Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Back up Camera

I would like to install a back up camera on our Columbus 320RS. I.m not sure which type to get. I don't want to spend a lot of money and not have it work well. Is the wired or the wireless type better? Anybody tried any yet? Our Columbus is 37 feet long, so a wireless one would need to work at least that distance or more.

Frank & Kathy

2015 Columbus 320RS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Hi Frank, like back bumper discussions, there's tons of discussions on backup cameras. Do a search and enjoy. I've pasted a link below to one of the discussions. The issue with the less expensive cameras is that they are made to be put on the rear of a truck or car and do not have the power to pump the signal from the back of an RV to the TV. So, as always, folks have gotten creative and/or bought more expensive camera kits. Made a wireless backup camera system cheaply

North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
I have a Furrion Backup camera on my 5th wheel. It is wireless and does not work well. It even loses signal while sitting still. There tech support is terrible will not call you back. Stay away from Furrion
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2016 Blue Ridge. 3045RL
2012 3/4 ton GMC Z71 Diesel
Dennis Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Broke and happy
I have a similar RV the Columbus 320RK. I recentely bought a RV Rear Safety wireless camera. I installed it and found that it dropped signal way to much. I contacted waranty and they sent me antenna booster kit at no charge. Now It works very well, and will only momentarily drop signal when driving by allot of restaurants/ gas stations that have microwave or wireless noise. The night and day screen resolution is very good. Its half the cost of the trendy Voyager, and probably works just as well.

RVS-CW-CAM | Wireless Quad Camera System with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor | Rear View Safety
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
I just got mine,like the one mentioned in the installed a backup camera thread,installed yesterday.Pulled the power from the inside like in a compartment in the back of 5er.Used a phone charger plugin to bring the 12 volt down to 5 volts for the camera.I like it.I can take my truck over 100 yds away and still have great reception.I did some experimenting with wrapping the camera with a plastic bag,because it's not water proof and the picture works and looks just fine.Got another 5 volt plugin for the monitor and everything is good.I did mount the monitor in the back window so I see it from the rear view mirror.The picture that's transmitted is reversed.Works really good and I believe it will work just fine.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
Installed mine camera to day so haven't Had a chance to check it out on the road yet. It was wireless and I wired it into the center marker light for power about a ft. Down from the top. I drilled in to the Back of the trailer into the cabinet inside and mounted the antenna unit in the cabinet inside.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
Thanks for the links and info.
Frank & Kathy

2015 Columbus 320RS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Just got my rig last weekend and it has the wireless camera already on it, still have to check it out. I think its wired to the lights so I may have to have the rig hooked to the truck with lights on to get it to work. Let me know if anyone knows different.
2006 Ford F250 4x4 Amarillo Edition, 6.0 Turbo
2015 Columbus 320 RS
Kidtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
I have one for sale. Asking $300 usd plus shipping

Never Used, Brand New in the Box

Retails for $399.00 + tax

Wireless Backup Camera System
Furrion's backup camera system boast amazing features with the latest in digital wireless technology, eliminating interference from the outside environment. The powerful infrared wide angle lens camera digitally locks to the 4.2" LCD color display providing over 100ft of seamless long distant video transfer.

-Digital wireless technology
-Direct monitor pairing

Water proof (IP65), 12 volt camera
Digital wireless technology with direct monitor pairing
External antenna for long distance signal transfer
Wide angle lens
Infrared night vision
Adjustable camera angle
Shaded camera for low glare
Safety tested and FCC certified

Wireless Backup Camera System - FURRION
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Try putting the backup system on the for sale thread. Get buried here no one will see.

I have the same system it works but the receiver is to small a screen and they do not offer a larger one. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote

back up camera