Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #1

Battery

How long should it last? On our way home from Orlando 14 hours by the time we got home it was almost dead. All it was used for was the fridge the whole trip and a light or 2 and the water pump on potty breaks.

It seems as though the truck should he charging it.
Brandon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Site Team

have you tested the 7-pin plug to see if the charging wire is charging? some vehicles need a fuse activated for this to happen.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #3

+1.

Test between pins 1 and 4 on this diagram. Should read Tow Vehicles charging voltage from the alternator. Also bear in mind some manufacturers turn the 7-way 90 degrees right or left. So pay attention to the orientation of the key at the "top" of the receptacle when testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way Vehicle.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	43009  

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Dan. Check the plug. If charging correctly, a long drive like that should have been sufficient so that's probably the problem. Also, check to make sure the battery was not disconnected (there may be a switch near the battery).

As for "how long should it last?" This is also dependent on the size and type of battery. A small group 24 is usually a marine battery built for double duty. These won't last as long as a large deep cycle battery. What do you have?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #5

Even if the truck was not charging the battery, it should have been in better shape. That's was a pretty light load for most RV batteries. I would have the battery load tested and check to see if the truck is charging it. BTW, measure battery voltage with the shore power disconnected. Note the reading. Now connect the truck and leave the motor running. Recheck the battery voltage. You should see an increase in voltage from the two readings.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

What would cause the converter breaker to trip?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
Assuming you're referring to the 120V breaking feeding the converter... Any number of thing could've caused this. A short on the 120V side of the converter would be top of my list. Generally, most converters pull 2-3 Amps during low consumption and battery charging. Shouldn't normally be anyway near the 15A necessary to trip a breaker. Less likely but still a possibility is a faulty breaker. Also, it may not be your breaker.

Check your battery voltage. Then connect the RV to shore power. The voltage should being to climb as it charges. Make sure your converter is functioning properly.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon327 View Post
Some of the things that can cause the converter breaker to trip are:
Defective converter, converter plus and minus connections reversed, a short on the output side which could be the battery. A battery can short internally which would cause this. Take your battery to your local auto parts house and ask them to test it. Disconnect the battery from the converter and see if the breaker still trips. If it does, it is most likely the converter has failed.
Let us know what you find.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

This is the second time the converter breaker has tripped in the last few months. When I reset it if works fine .