Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Battery Box

I need a new bottom portion for my battery box. It is cracking around the flange and I am afraid eventually it will split and the battery will fall out of the rig. It is a 12 volt box, measures approx. 9.5 X 15. flange to flange. This box just sits in a opening cut into the bottom of the rig. There is a flange all around the box that is screwed into the rig. It is also 5 inches deep. I need it in black. Looked around the web could not find it. Thought I would try this route before doing the real hard research.

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
I need a new bottom portion for my battery box. It is cracking around the flange and I am afraid eventually it will split and the battery will fall out of the rig. It is a 12 volt box, measures approx. 9.5 X 15. flange to flange. This box just sits in a opening cut into the bottom of the rig. There is a flange all around the box that is screwed into the rig. It is also 5 inches deep. I need it in black. Looked around the web could not find it. Thought I would try this route before doing the real hard research.

Thanks
A fairly easy fix, and may be a lifetime fix, is to put a support on the bottom of the box. A piece of 6" wide steel plate, about 1/8" thick, about 18" long. Drill a couple holes in the ends, outside of where the box would sit on it.

Place the support over the top of the battery box and center it so the holes you drilled are equal distance from the edge of the box itself. Drill holes for 1/4" Bolts (carriage type preferred) long enough to reach down below the battery box and through the support plate you just made. Put a piece of old innertube on the plate and slip it over bolts you have installed. Secure with "Nylon Locking Nuts" and pull support plate up against bottom of battery box until the bolts are supporting most of the battery weight.

The battery will never go anywhere and the stress on the flanges will be near nothing with the support bolts. When finished installing, cut excess bolt threads off so they don't get in the way when working underneath.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

Good Idea

Why the inner tube?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #4

The inner tube helps keep the metal strap from moving around due to vibration. If no inner tube a couple of globs of liquid nails would accomplish the same thing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #5

They did a recall on my 2018 compass 320 for this issue... should get it fixed for free
Beermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #6

Out of Warranty

I am years out of warranty and prefer not to bother with any dealers. I would rather take care of it myself.

Tags
battery