Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Battery cut off switch

Has anyone tried turning off there cut off switch in the 320RS what does it turn off???? We have had our 320 in storage for 6 weeks and went today to do a few things to if and the battries were dead had the switch off all this time, did not disconnect neg. cable should I have done that?? We also have 2 12 volt batt.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

I remove my batteries and place in the basement cause it gets real cold here, you had a drain thats is why they are dead, prob clock did it to ya

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A few things could have happened.
  • Most likely is, depending where the disconnect is located, the batteries could still have a parasitic drain somewhere in the line. Disconnects work best when they are close to the batteries.
  • Batteries were stored without a full charge
  • Batteries are not holding a charge for some reason. If it happens again, you will want to test them.
  • The time between charges was too long. I doubt this was it but thought I'd mention it anyway. My two 6-volts will last much longer than 6-weeks even in the cold. I live in WI and never remove them from my trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

Ideally, the battery cut off switch should kill all 12V supplied to the rig. When they are on, the propane detector and the radio are two of the biggest draws. Do a test to see if your switch is wired correctly. My buddy's switch has to be pulled out to kill his camper, but a guy that camps with us some, you have to push his in to kill his. They look like the same switch. Yours may even be switch that turns from off to on, just check and make sure it is wired correctly. You may even have a defective switch.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

Any battery will "self discharge" over time. You didn't mention size or age but most folks use a tender or top up every few weekds esp over winter. Dead over 6 weeks sounds like a bit pre mature, but others point there are lots of factors. Best to top up often, once discharged they will never come back.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Sump ting is wrong with your setup if the batteries are in good shape. You should have the batteries checked by a battery shop and also check your trailer wiring to see if you have parasitic drains with the battery switch turned off.

Maybe someone has a clamp meter to check what kind of amp drain you are seeing with the switch off.

I your battery has been drained in freezing weather it is toast and you will need new ones. Boohoo
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #7

On our Columbus 320 RS the six way leveling system panel is still on even though our battery switch is switched off. Therefore we are getting parasitic drain from the leveling system. I keep my 2 6-volts on a trickle charge just because of that. Hope this is helpful.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
On our Columbus 320 RS the six way leveling system panel is still on even though our battery switch is switched off. Therefore we are getting parasitic drain from the leveling system. I keep my 2 6-volts on a trickle charge just because of that. Hope this is helpful.

Mark/Jeannie
Hmmmm.... that is interesting, wonder why? Normally is a battery cut off is installed properly, it cuts all power. It should be wired directly in between the main + and - cables. I am going to have to look into this one so I dont have the same problem. I do not have access to power where I store my unit.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo

Hmmmm.... that is interesting, wonder why? Normally is a battery cut off is installed properly, it cuts all power. It should be wired directly in between the main + and - cables. I am going to have to look into this one so I dont have the same problem. I do not have access to power where I store my unit.
Look for small fused leads at + terminal, mine has two, one for steps other for? Niether draws power when main cut off. Hydraulic pump always connected, no usage when main is cut off.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

When I purchased my 2012 Sabre 31RETS-6 in January 2012 it did not come with at battery disconnect switch. I requested the dealer add one which they did. They located the switch in a very convenient place, on the left wall of the basement next to the 12 V plug and cable connection. They wired it into the fuse panel. When in the off position there is still 12 volt power to the front landing gear and bedroom slide. There does not seem to be any drain on the battery. The only thing I worry about is someone messing with my landing gear legs while it is at the storage facility. Goes to show you that dealer employees don't know a lot about what they are working on. I guess I should have made them change it but that would have required another trip back to the dealer. I have always installed these myself and put them near the battery and used the negative battery cable. Live and learn.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote