Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Battery Storage

Wondering what is the best way to store battery. If I leave the 32rcts plugged into house power will the battery be properly charged over the winter? Or should it be removed from the trailer and stored indoors with a trickle charger? Already have motorcycle and boat batteries on trickle chargers and prefer not having to purchase another charger or handling another battery.
rpresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #2

I dont know a ton about this other than what i have found here...but the general feeling is the Converter that charges the batt. while installed in the RV is generally not the best and can and will overcharge the battery if that is the only method you rely on. Its more designed to maintian the batt while the 12v stuff is used during a trip.

I pulled my battery out and put it on a battery tender.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
DDC

I leave mine in the trailer and plugged in and so far have never had any problems even though we are in Ontario and it gets cold.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Team

i have a disconnect switch on my 2 batteries and i just leave them installed.
come spring, they are barely discharged.
no need to keep the trailer plugged in.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #5

I store my battery in house basement on battery tender as TT is stored at local farm w/o power. Believe you would be fine using convertor to keep battery charged. (one less battery tender to buy)
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #6

Found this valuable info on RV battery charging. http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/05/rv-b...rcharging.html
Now does anyone know what type of converter comes in a Palomino Saber 32RCTS? Or where it is located. I would suspect it is close proximity to the battery.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpresley
Found this valuable info on RV battery charging. http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/05/rv-b...rcharging.html
Now does anyone know what type of converter comes in a Palomino Saber 32RCTS? Or where it is located. I would suspect it is close proximity to the battery.
You can save some money and batteries by reading the "Trojan Battery" web site . They make em and suggest do not charge all the time. Instead allow to decay a small amount and then recharge. Most important maintain liquid levels.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

[QUOTE=VinceU;284816]You can save some money and batteries by reading the "Trojan Battery" web site . They make em and suggest do not charge all the time. Instead allow to decay a small amount and then recharge. Most important maintain liquid levels.[/QUOT

Thanks, already saw that link. It made sense until I spotted this lengthy report.

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog
Now I'm not so sure.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I leave mine in the trailer and plugged in and so far have never had any problems even though we are in Ontario and it gets cold.
I agree, I have had trailers for awhile now (years), and leave it plugged in with my converter/charger running. You should have a 3 stage charger on your converter, but find your manual and check. It will work just as good as a battery tender. Just check your water level every other month or so.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree, I have had trailers for awhile now (years), and leave it plugged in with my converter/charger running. You should have a 3 stage charger on your converter, but find your manual and check. It will work just as good as a battery tender. Just check your water level every other month or so.
Is your trailer stored in cold weather?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #11

Just remember the blog is mostly anchored around solar charging and the foour steps of voltage required. For winter storage or long inactivity here's Trojans quote. I've done it this way since 1997 in various MH chassis and coach batteries, mid New Jersey. Trojan makes them, the blogger is hearsey!

STORAGE

Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.
NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK.
The most important things to avoid:

1. Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping a battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to a battery's plates and container.

2. Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80° F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.

Step by step storage procedure:

1. Completely charge the battery before storing.

2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements.

3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. See Table 1 in the Testing Section.

4. Completely charge the battery before re-activating.

5. For optimum performance, equalize the batteries (flooded) before putting them back into service. Refer to the Equalizing section for this procedure.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #12

[QUOTE="VinceU;284839"]

Just remember the blog is mostly anchored around solar charging and the foour steps of voltage required. For winter storage or long inactivity here's Trojans quote. I've done it this way since 1997 in various MH chassis and coach batteries, mid New Jersey. Trojan makes them, the blogger is hearsey!

STORAGE

Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

1. Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping a battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to a battery's plates and container.

2. Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80° F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.

3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. See Table 1 in the Testing Section.

5. For optimum performance, equalize the batteries (flooded) before putting them back into service. Refer to the Equalizing section for this procedure.[/QUO

Your proven track record has convinced me to leave it in the trailer connected to shore power. I will top it off with conventional charger and verify that it has a full charge Prior to covering the trailer.
My lack of knowledge raises another question. Does the battery disconnect isolate the battery from the charging circuit or simply assure there is no current draw from the trailer. I could measure output for each mode of the disconnect switch but figured its just easier to ask.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU

STORAGE

5. For optimum performance, equalize the batteries (flooded) before putting them back into service. Refer to the Equalizing section for this procedure.
Thanks for the info..
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #14

Keep charging

I agree. Since we don't rent campers and trailers during the winter, I have about 30 batteries wired to a four solar panel system, and I keep them charged while powering my welding shop (runs everything except the welder). Even though I am at 9000 ft elevation, the cold is not a problem if you keep your batteries charged. Here is a table showing the relationship of charge to freezing.

Electrolyte Freeze Points
at Various States-of-Charge
for a Wet Lead-Acid Battery Table

Approximate State-of-Charge (SoC) Approximate Electrolyte Freeze Point
100% -77°F
75% -35°F
50% -10°F
25% 5°F
0% 20°F

Hope this helps.

Lon Black
Colorado Camper Rental
COcamper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpresley View Post
My lack of knowledge raises another question. Does the battery disconnect isolate the battery from the charging circuit or simply assure there is no current draw from the trailer. I could measure output for each mode of the disconnect switch but figured its just easier to ask.
If its installed properly (ie, right after the battery and before anything else,) your disconnect switch should perform both of these functions.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #16

Thanks, it appears to be that way
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #17

Thanks for the reminder, just went and checked our Trojans that are sitting in the garage as it is -22 deg C here at the moment, so a little worried about freezing. Both at 6.2 v so accord to the Trojan website time for a charge cycle.

Missing camping still 5 more months to go for us realistically, although we have camped in the snow before so might try to break the trailer out before May this year.

Merry Xmas to all, have a safe holiday

Tags
battery