Originally Posted by MillerTime
Ok, I'm learning here. I understand what your saying herk. Is there a time frame or some thing to know- besides a test strip, when the acid is nolonger acid, or is it more in therory.
Reason why I ask is we always have "dead" batteries laying around at work and my shed, but when they leak it still stains or etches the floor or eats stuff up.
- be nice to just dump the water out if it was safe- I just don't know when or if it would be safe.
Batteries "die" for many reasons. Cracked plates are the number one cause of car battery failures because the lead plates are so thin.
Those batteries are no good but the electrolyte is still strong "acid." EACH CELL must be checked because ONE bad cell will ruin a battery; yet the other 5 cells are still "good."
Use a hydrometer to determine if the acid is still acid. A Specific Gravity reading of 1.000 is water; anything higher has some acid.
A fully charged electrolyte has enough sulfuric acid to read 1.277 a totally discharged one is "near" 1.000
This is the only way to tell if the electrolyte is completely discharged.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW