Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Oklahoma Proud

Ok I did more research and found a few answers.
To Op- a historical name for sulfuric (or sulphuric- alternitave names) is Oil of Vitriol, so maybe someone confused that with some thing mineral based.

- to the whole freezing batteries situation- I didn't see how the acid would be removed, leaving water- actually what happens is the opposite acording to my reaserch.

#1 automotive sulfuric acid is about 35% acid
#2 100% sulfuric acid becomes a solid at 50f, and boils at 639f and will break down at that point.
#3 when sulfuric acid is diluted with water it will drop the temperature that the acid becomes a solid. The % of the mixture will vary the temp that it becomes solid- pretty much works the opposite of a water / antifreeze mixture.
#4 when water evaporates from the acid/water mixture (which can happen at room temps- but much more effecient when at a higher temp) it the acid gains a higher concentration.
#5 that is why you add water to a battery- not acid- acid will kill it
#6 that is why hot and cold is hard on car batteries- the heat under the hood in summer evaporates the water out of the acid, and left unchecked come winter the more concentrated acid turns to a solid at a warmer temp than normal.

#7 when heat is added to a sulfuric acid in a solid form it liquifys extremely quickly- so that is why you don't jump start a "frozen" battery
#8 most people, including my self untill now don't know this and this is why they say the battery can "freeze" - which according to what I have seen in my research is the acid is just turning to a solid. I guess its a freeze of sorts but more apropriatly called "a solid"
#9 the battery acid/water mixture can freeze- but like turbs said it is a extremely low temp like in the -70s range- which most of us will never see.
#10 a slow warm up of a battery in a solid state- not like in #9 can bring the acid back to a liquid and more usable state.

I'm done now- all this makes more scence now. Btw the oppinion based answers on the web are of no help, but the scientific info on the web brings clarity to it- just look at acid info, all the battery info seems to be opinions.

Millertime over and out for good on this topic.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Luke,

I am very happy that you are happy.

Herk
Bachelor of Science Chemistry 1972
Villanova University

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #33

Post 12 by Herk said it all. H2so4 (36%) and H2O (64%) make up B+ electrolyte. That has been the industry standard for ever. You can't add more acid to make your battery better. All wet cells deliver about 2.1 volts per cell. Now the H2SO4 is already diluted with water. I don't know what the dilution ration is for battery acid but it is not fully concentrated H2SO4. As the B+ looses it's charge as explained in post 12 it loses H2SO4. The lower the charge the less H2SO4. The lower the charge the more likely the diluted solution will freeze. If it's fully charged it won't freeze until it get really cold but it does become less efficient. Absolute Zero is when all molecular motion stops (-459.67) Most water is lost due to the charging process and not evaporation. It's called gassing. When it bubbles it also brings some H2SO4 with it and that's why terminals corrode. Batteries explode when a spark occurs either in or around a B+ that has been charging. The charging creates the gassing and the two gases hydrogen (very explosive) and oxygen (best oxidizer) are ignited.
Batteries today have changed a bunch. Seldom do we see a B+ that has open cells so a hydrometer won't work. The hydrometer tells you how much H2SO4 is still in the solution therefore its state of charge. See Herk's chart.
JMTCW
TeJay
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #34

According to theTrojan battery users guide, you can also use de-ionized and reverse osmosis filtered water.

http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/T...UsersGuide.pdf
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga Camper View Post
According to theTrojan battery users guide, you can also use de-ionized and reverse osmosis filtered water.

http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/T...UsersGuide.pdf
Yep, but distilled water is less than a buck a gallon even at acme.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yep, but distilled water is less than a buck a gallon even at acme.
And a lot of folks have reverse osmosis systems in their homes, making the treated water even less expensive...

2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery