Old 07-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
when i was tandem towing, my average load on the receiver hitch was 2500 lbs. up to 3k max a few times. my custom built receiver hitch for the rear of the old 5th wheel was bolted in so the frame could flex. i didn't want to weld it because of any tensile strength issues or lack of stress relieving activities, or breaking any welds. i did this for about two years. i now have a TH which i am thankful to the Good Lord for that blessing. but tandem towing never bothered me. got a lot of peculiar looks though. the whole rig measure 62'8" long. yeah, big train a coming!
so i think if you went with something on the rear, you'd be ok. just check clearances. i do like the nose carrier for 5th wheels though, that looked cool. i'll just put my bikes in the TH now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0527111022.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	17225   Click image for larger version

Name:	0512111245.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	17226  

Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
ok, got some more pictures of it, a little more clairity on how the dealer reinforced my receiver on the bumper

98 Chevy Silverado C3500 crewcab, 454 cu in & 2013 Salem Cruise-Lite 181BHXL
FRF and FROG member
Days camped in 2012 (3), 2013 (3), 2014 (6)
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
Thanks to everyone and their ideas. This is helping me try to figure out what would work the best for my trailer. Still open to more ideas. Thanks again everyone, thats why I love this site.
Hamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
The alternatives to a trailer bumper rack:

Fabricate a rack over the propane tanks.

A Swagman to fit around your WDH shank.

Fabricate a rack to fit above the truck bed. (That was my route)

Racks on the truck cab.

A front mounted reciever with a bike rack.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Hamblen View Post
I know there are posts else where pertaining to this topic. I have a puma 31kbh. I am considering installing a bike carrier to the rear bumper of this trailer if possible. I have read about bumpers twisting and bending and tearing things up due to the weight of the bikes. Wanting to know if anyone has installed one, or ideas to strengthen up bumper to support a carrier and the weight of the bikes. I am tired of putting bikes in the back of truck and taking up useful space. Thanks and looking forward to ideas.
I have a 2013 291 BHTS Sabre. A welding shop cut the tubing off my existing factory bumper (Thin 2x4 junk). He then added a 3/16" thick 2x4, added some length (to allow jacks repositioned in front of receiver)and welded all around to the frame ( you still weld the factory bumper back). We then added a factory receiver cross piece and welded that in between. Looks awesome and strong as hell. I pull a 18' Four winns runabout and have zero issues. Total price around 1K with labour. I also bought a dual receiver from a local store which pulls boat, and carries bike rack above. I have heard horror stories and "don't do that", but I am very confident in frame and welds. I add hitches to all my trailers.

fodf350 is offline   Reply With Quote