Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Bike rack

I have read alot of issues with putting a bike rack on the rear of a 5th wheel due to the leverage factor.
I have a 2011 Sabre RETS-6 with the factory rear cargo/bike carrier, only problem is our bikes do not fit on the rack.
I have plans on modifying the existing mounting brackets to be able to use a receiver style bike rack that will hold our bikes. According to the dealer the factory rack has a weight capacity of 400#.
The rack I want to use with the bikes mounted weights 195#, I also plan on coming up with a way to keep the rack from bouncing up and down when traveling, thinking I can use ratchet straps and tie the ends back to the end of the frame (not sure about this yet).
Anyone have the factory rack? Any modifications made? Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this or an I asking for more trouble than worth?
Sorry for rattling on just dropped oldest off at airport to report for Marine combat training and waiting on him to call and let his proud but nevous parents know he has arrived.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #2

We have a 2011 Sabre BHOK-6 with the rack. The 2012 models have a modified rack where the bike wheels fit into slots in the rack.

We are going to contact SabreSam to see if we can purchase the new rack. Interested in hearing from those owners who have the new rack.
dleitermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Sorry for rattling on just dropped oldest off at airport to report for Marine combat training and waiting on him to call and let his proud but nevous parents know he has arrived.

scottsmen: As a parent, that has to be one of the hardest things to do. I don't know if I could do that. I thank you as parents and your son !!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #4

Crusader, Thank you, yes very hard to do however it is his decision. All we can do is support him the best we can and hope for the best.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman411
I have read alot of issues with putting a bike rack on the rear of a 5th wheel due to the leverage factor.
I have a 2011 Sabre RETS-6 with the factory rear cargo/bike carrier, only problem is our bikes do not fit on the rack.
I have plans on modifying the existing mounting brackets to be able to use a receiver style bike rack that will hold our bikes. According to the dealer the factory rack has a weight capacity of 400#.
The rack I want to use with the bikes mounted weights 195#, I also plan on coming up with a way to keep the rack from bouncing up and down when traveling, thinking I can use ratchet straps and tie the ends back to the end of the frame (not sure about this yet).
Anyone have the factory rack? Any modifications made? Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this or an I asking for more trouble than worth?
The rack has different pin positions , when it's down you pin it down and it will stay
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman411
I store the generators and gas cans for dry camping back there
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #7

Have a new Sabre 31RETS-6 with the "rack" on the back. Can't really call it a bike rack as I have never seen a bicycle with wheels as far apart as the slots are on the "rack". I mounted a couple of bike blocks to a wood base and bolted it on the the "rack".

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #8

Cuttinchief,

What's the approximate weight of the item you carry in the rack?

Thanks
2011 F-250 CC/SB/6.2L Gas/2X
Nights Camped 2012 = 14
westyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyguy
Cuttinchief,

What's the approximate weight of the item you carry in the rack?

Thanks
250lbs
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

Appreciated
2011 F-250 CC/SB/6.2L Gas/2X
Nights Camped 2012 = 14
westyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
H2oski

scottsman411, First of all I would like to say THANK YOU for giving this country such a GREAT son. And also THANK YOU for raising a GREAT son. Our county will never be able to repay your GREAT son back for his sevice to this country.

I may have retired some time ago from the Army, but there is one thing I do know. Your GREAT son is in the hands of some really GREAT people and they will train and take care of your GREAT son.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack