Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Bit the bullet - ordered my Columbus today

Well, I ordered my Columbus 320RS today. Here's what I got:

Brown/Creme exterior
Seville Interior
Voyager Package
Low Profile 13.5 Bedroom AC
Trail Aire Ride TriGlide
Elec Fireplace
3 Slide Toppers
6 way auto-level
Stackable washer/dryer
Dual Pane Windows
32" Bedroom LED TV
Kitchen Fastastik Fan w/ sensor
Heat pump for main AC
Serta Trump Mattress
Bike Rack
Wood Plank look floor
5.5 KW Onan Genset
Winegard Travl'er (Direct TV)
18K Elite 5th Hitch with Slider & under bed mount

I decided to go with a dealer local to my home. It was a tough call, but in the end, I was more comfortable with them. Also, I just don't have the time to deal with selling my old trailer. Was it the best price? Nope! But I think a fair price.

I still have a few questions though - hopefully Chris will answer some now since I've committed to a dealer:

Are the dual pane windows frameless and flush like the standard windows? Dealer says yes.

How can I be assured that I will have a sound system that will enable a digital sound connection from TV? Also, I'd prefer the Toshiba TVs.

Confirm that the dryer is vented to the outside and that this penetration is made at the factory.

Please explain how the wiring is done for the Trav'ler. With the entertainment system in a slide, I don't see how the wiring from the control box gets to the dish. Also, if it is pre-wired, like I've been led to believe, is there a specific mounting spot for the dish with the wiring harness exposed?
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

That's a beautiful trailer. I can't get a 5th wheel. I have a cap on my truck for work. Good luck.
Attached Images

Tarcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Hey congrats on the new rv!! Its very exciting. Did they tell you how long til you get it?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Congrats, with your list of options that's going to be one fantastic 5er. Love the brown/cream exterior.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #5

WOW, is there an option you left in the book? LOL, won't it be grand? How long till you get it? What is your first trip? WOW!
ritzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #6

and still fairly cheap compared to other brands.

should take 6-8 weeks, don't have a date yet.

first trip will be their onsite campground for shakedown. then to western pa - back to work!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
and still fairly cheap compared to other brands.

should take 6-8 weeks, don't have a date yet.

first trip will be their onsite campground for shakedown. then to western pa - back to work!

Just scratching my head. Gotta ask. Why all the RV's?

As Dr. Phil would say " How can one ass ride two horses?"
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Just scratching my head. Gotta ask. Why all the RV's?
It's all part of my diabolical plan to take over the world!

Actually, I'm probably going to get rid of the Sunset Trail. I had bought that to take family trips to the beach. But the kids don't want to go these days and the only times they can really go, it's just crazy busy down there. So miserable for me. It doesn't eat anything, other than the annual tag renewal, so I don't know.

The Surveyor is for solo trips to state parks and to boondock. I've had a few fun trips in that this year. Being so small, it's nothing to tow or to park in tight places. Great for 1 or 2 for a weekend.

The 5th wheel I'm going to use as my lodgings where I work - I work out of state on industrial projects, so it's better to stay in an RV than renting an apartment or hotel. This year I learned that the Outback TT I had is not really ideal for that kind of thing, so I'm upgrading.

I get home every weekend (fly), so if I want to camp, I need an RV at home. So there you go. But 3 is kinda crazy. Getting it down to 2 would only be nuts.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
I decided to go with a dealer local to my home. It was a tough call, but in the end, I was more comfortable with them. Also, I just don't have the time to deal with selling my old trailer. Was it the best price? Nope! But I think a fair price.
Congratulations on your new 5th. All that matters is your happy with the deal.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
It's all part of my diabolical plan to take over the world!

Actually, I'm probably going to get rid of the Sunset Trail. I had bought that to take family trips to the beach. But the kids don't want to go these days and the only times they can really go, it's just crazy busy down there. So miserable for me. It doesn't eat anything, other than the annual tag renewal, so I don't know.

The Surveyor is for solo trips to state parks and to boondock. I've had a few fun trips in that this year. Being so small, it's nothing to tow or to park in tight places. Great for 1 or 2 for a weekend.

The 5th wheel I'm going to use as my lodgings where I work - I work out of state on industrial projects, so it's better to stay in an RV than renting an apartment or hotel. This year I learned that the Outback TT I had is not really ideal for that kind of thing, so I'm upgrading.

I get home every weekend (fly), so if I want to camp, I need an RV at home. So there you go. But 3 is kinda crazy. Getting it down to 2 would only be nuts.

Sounds like you're committed to the RV life style. Enjoy.

2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #11

Just back after a week at Hot Springs in our Columbus 320!! Absolutely LOVE it!! you have a few extra's I wish we had gotten. Can still get them..... and maybe we will BUT I love it!!! Great Choice!!!! Congrats!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
"On the road again"

You're going to enjoy your 320RS so much - we just got back from 7 more days in ours (up to 55 days so far since we got it in March). You'll absolutely LOVE the 6-way leveling. We unhook, and push AUTO LEVEL, then I go about hooking up water and electric while it does it's thing. Always levels to within 0.1 degree - 90% of the time it's 0.0 front to rear and 0.0 left to right.

ENJOY!!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

And we can count down the days together as we finally ordered our 320RS last night with a pickup sometime in four weeks. Will that be right? I've heard 6 to 8 in other places here!
When do you hear about yours?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

They haven't told me yet - other than saying 4 to 6 weeks. But I don't believe that - probably 6 to 8, which is OK by me.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

You will love your 320RS, we do!
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Trailer Trash

Wait till you read the owners manual. It basically says living out of it full time voids the warranty. These units are built for occasional use only. Full time use will wear things out early. OMG the sky is falling down. Some lawyers got rich throwing in that blurb into the manual. The friggin warranty is only 1 year in the first place.

Other than that, fully enjoying my 320RS as a weekend warrior. Season is done for me however. Below freezing at nite in MN and RV resort I am at shut down the water system :^(
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #17

Orders must have slacked off a bit - was told today mine may come of the line late October, first week of November. With delivery and options my dealer installs, I'm looking at mid-Nov, hopefully not Thanksgiving week.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Wait till you read the owners manual. It basically says living out of it full time voids the warranty. These units are built for occasional use only. Full time use will wear things out early. OMG the sky is falling down. Some lawyers got rich throwing in that blurb into the manual. The friggin warranty is only 1 year in the first place.

Other than that, fully enjoying my 320RS as a weekend warrior. Season is done for me however. Below freezing at nite in MN and RV resort I am at shut down the water system :^(

I did ask about the use and was assured by a factory rep that the unit will hold up for extended use (we are not technically full time, so we dodge that bullet.)
Getting very antsy.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #19

Wincrasher and ritzteach seems like we all ordered our units about the same time, have not heard from dealer about build date yet.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd riders View Post
Wincrasher and ritzteach seems like we all ordered our units about the same time, have not heard from dealer about build date yet.
Add us to that list. We are not expecting ours until mid to late November. We are asking for some changes on the unit before manufacturing, so it may take a little longer.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote