Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #1

Black water valve handle

Having trouble with handle sticking open...(not being able in push back in)...Have put WD40 on it...Anybody else have problems like this

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Linda T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

Might be a chunk stuck back there. Ewwww.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

One of the seals could have come out of it's track. Drain the tank completely and look up the pipe to see if you can identify the problem. If the seal has come out of it's track, remove the bolts holding the valve together. This will allow you to disassemble the valve and install the seals back into their tracks. Apply a little KY jelly to lubricate the slid on the seals.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #4

There is no way to get to the valve unless I cut the underbody lining to get to it

Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #5

Black water Handle won't go in/stuck

Do not use WD40 on the handle shaft. Use 3 in 1 oil or something like that. WD40 will clean any lubrication off and could harm the seals. Hope you get it working.
johns3962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

I do not have a Palomino so I cannot help you with specifics but here are some ideas.

If you can see the gate valve from the drain connection, you should be able to see if the seals are still in their tracks. If they are then you can try squirting lube up the tube to lube the gate valve.

You can backflush the black water valve by filling the grey water tank (by normal usage or run the shower), then open the black water valve until it is drained. Now raise the drain hose higher than the tanks and open the grey water valve (the hose will get heavy do to the weight of the water). The grey water tank will drain towards the hose and backwards into the black water tank. Close the grey water valve and lower the hose back down and allow the black water tanks to drain. If there was any debris in the valve, this may flush it out.

If your RV uses a cable to open/close the black water valve, it may have become corroded inside the sheath and is causing friction when you try to open/close the valve. You might try an auto parts store to get a cable lubing device that clamps on the top of the cable and allow you to squirt lube down inside the cable sheath to lube it (look in the motorcycle section). I have used this to lube inside the sheath of the cables on my motorcycle and snowblower.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice...

Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #8

I had the opposite problem. I had to pull so hard to open it I thought I was going to break it. I cleaned the rod up and used silicone spray. So far no more issues.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #9

I have the same problem occasionally with my 2015 320RS. I grab the handle and pull/push continually and usually after six or eight tries it breaks loose and slides back in. I've found it occurs less if I don't pull it all the way out when dumping. I had it worked on under warranty for hard pulling but it never got better and I have learned to just live with it.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRRVR View Post
I had the opposite problem. I had to pull so hard to open it I thought I was going to break it. I cleaned the rod up and used silicone spray. So far no more issues.
X2
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

I know some Columbus models had a problem with their black valve not closing. The cable was too long and not secured its full length. Some fixed it by installing zip ties and secured it to the frame, brackets, or anything else solid. This reduced the cable's flexing when the handle was operated.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, valve, water