Old 03-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Blowing 15 AMP fuse that feeds main slides

So here is one for all of you.

I am blowing a 15 amp DC fuse that feeds my two main slides. (slide move in/out ok) it’s everything in the side, lights and fridge. Radio works but I imagine it is not wired to this fuse.
Discovered this when I tried to turn on the fridge several weeks ago. Just got back from a 17 day trip and all was well on gas and AC. When we were heading out I replaced 4-5 fuses until one held and away we went. Before we left one funny thing happened. Had AC applied, fridge on. Checked when I went to bed all ok. Checked the next AM fuse blown so one would think it is with the fridge. Came home yesterday, unpacked, fridge, all stuff in slide off, no AC, battery on. Checked this AM, fuse blown. NOTHING was on or drawing DC in the slides. Has blown with slide in and out. I swear it seems to be the cold, was 32 degrees last night. Seems when it warms up the fuse holds ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Took a quick look under slides at wiring and nothing seems pinched but it is such a mess of wires who knows.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you sure it is 15 amp and not 30??

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Labeled 15 amp

It's labeled 15 amp and has always been. The only 30 amp DC fuses I have are to the two that you can reset. When this fuse is blown the slides still extend and retract so it has nothing to do with the slide motors. The only things in the slides that that I can think of are DC are, Radio, lights, antenna amp, fridge. Radio works with blown fuse, have not checked the antenna amp, not sure if that is AC or DC driven.

More thoughts welcome.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What type of camper
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
What type of camper
Profile shows
RV Brand = Palomino Sabre; RV Year and Model = 2014 32RCTS

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 74; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Not a newbie

Semi-related comment ......

Fuses and breakers pop for four primary reasons.

1. Wires grounding out. Wiggle all accessible wire bundles and check for blown fuse. (or sparks or fire)

2. A component that draws too much current. Operate individual components with amp meter attached to power wire and compare to specs and check for blown fuse. Hint: a component that draws 12-15 amps with a 15 amp fuse is the number one suspect. Don't forget that it may be the component drawing excessive current OR what the component is moving may be binding.

3. Weak fuse or circuit breaker. (Really common). If it's a weak fuse, one replacement will fix it. If it's a weak breaker, swap out with another same amp breaker and test.

4. Extra load added to circuit. Like that amp you added to the stereo!
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
What type of camper
Palomino 5th wheel.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Good Input

Hey JOHNFORT.

Great suggestions and I will certainly check for some of those things, but to clarify this fuse blew during the night with nothing in the slides turned on. I agree something must be drawing current to make this blow. Right now it is working fine. Maybe I am missing something that is on this circuit?? I will see if I can find somethings like a propane alarm or such. I would venture to say that if just left alone it would blow again during the night. Could outside moisture or cold have anything to do with it?

Also I did not add any circuit, I was referring to the TV antenna amplifier that is standard with the unit.

Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
So here is one for all of you.

I am blowing a 15 amp DC fuse that feeds my two main slides. (slide move in/out ok) it’s everything in the side, lights and fridge. Radio works but I imagine it is not wired to this fuse.
Discovered this when I tried to turn on the fridge several weeks ago. Just got back from a 17 day trip and all was well on gas and AC. When we were heading out I replaced 4-5 fuses until one held and away we went. Before we left one funny thing happened. Had AC applied, fridge on. Checked when I went to bed all ok. Checked the next AM fuse blown so one would think it is with the fridge. Came home yesterday, unpacked, fridge, all stuff in slide off, no AC, battery on. Checked this AM, fuse blown. NOTHING was on or drawing DC in the slides. Has blown with slide in and out. I swear it seems to be the cold, was 32 degrees last night. Seems when it warms up the fuse holds ok.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Took a quick look under slides at wiring and nothing seems pinched but it is such a mess of wires who knows.
I'm confused. (so what else is new) You keep saying fridge. Do you have a 3 way fridge in your 5th wheeler? Unusual. So you kept putting 15 amp fuses in until one held? What exactly does the fuse control? I'm ASSUMING just the lights in the slide. If blowing with the slide in I'm guessing the lights are off so I'm gonna lean toward a skinned 12 volt hot wire. Are both slide lights on this fuse?

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 03-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Hey JOHNFORT.

Great suggestions and I will certainly check for some of those things, but to clarify this fuse blew during the night with nothing in the slides turned on. I agree something must be drawing current to make this blow. Right now it is working fine. Maybe I am missing something that is on this circuit?? I will see if I can find somethings like a propane alarm or such. I would venture to say that if just left alone it would blow again during the night. Could outside moisture or cold have anything to do with it?

Also I did not add any circuit, I was referring to the TV antenna amplifier that is standard with the unit.

Thanks again.
Anything is possible with an RV but technically the answer is no.

Tags
fuse, slide