Here is an update to the Columbus brake issue:
The Lippert brake drama continues... unfortunately. For those that have been following the greasy brake saga, I wrote another chapter today. About a week ago now, I had brand new brakes and drums put on all 4 wheels. The whole package, backing plates, brake shoes, and even new drums. I figured all was now perfect.
Not so much. I watched the tech install the new brakes. Everything was clean and pristine. Yesterday we left Spring Texas, heading for Kerrville, where we are today. On the way in yesterday, I noted on my TPMS sensor display that I had one wheel, the left front that was running hot. This was indicated by the TPMS sensor, so it was only about 20 degrees hotter than the L/R. And the pressure was about about 5# higher in the the front tire also. Not crazy, just notable.
At the next rest stop while Diane used the facilities I checked the drums and tires with a IR thermometer I carry in the truck. The other three tires were all pretty close in temps, but the left front "smelled hotter, and the IR thermometer showed it up about 50 degrees hotter than the LR. I decided to watch it. We got back on the road and after a about another hour or so, the temps on that wheel were still climbing.
I stopped at another rest area and checked the temps again. The rear drum was 113 degrees, the front was 190 degrees. I decided to get out the brake tool and back off the brake shoes in the LF in case one was dragging. It took a minute and we were back on the road. When we got to the campground I checked the temps again with the IR. The LR was 115 degrees, and the LF was 246 degrees. Yep, we got a problem.
I pulled the LF front wheel this morning at the RV park. I noted a light film of grease on the outside front of the brake drum. I pulled the drum, and the inside of the drum and the brake magnet had a coating of grease. THESE SEALS ARE ONE WEEK OLD.
The grease had squeezed past the rear seal into the drum and gunked up the magnet. That caused the magnet to stick to the drum, putting on the brakes. Probably not enough to burn them up, just enough to drag and cause lots of heat.
I wiped down the drums, cleaned off the magnet and moving parts, and put it all back together. It is now painfully obvious that the grease seals Lippert is using are worthless. Grease is leaking out on both ends, and making a mess.
So even with brand new brakes, the issue continues.