Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #81

I would send them the bill and see if they will pay won't hurt to send it to them
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
I would send them the bill and see if they will pay won't hurt to send it to them
That's the plan
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #83
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

Smile

I've been following this thread pretty closely and thought I would post our experience and thoughts.

We bought our 2014 Columbus 365RL a little over a month ago. Since then we've put a little over a 100 miles on it. Last weekend, I pulled all 4 drums off to inspect and adjust as needed. This is something I have done with our previous RVs after a shakedown run, and then on a yearly basis. It's easy, takes about an hour to an hour an half, and provides us with the confidence that they will work as designed.

What I found, was what I expected. Decent parts, adjusted correctly, but sloppy cleanup before assembly. Bearings were adjusted correctly. There was the correct amount of grease. Wheel lug, brake backing plate, suspension torques were correct. Air pressure is still good. The brakes were adjusted correctly when picked up, but now after seating in, needed to be adjusted again (ours are manual adjust). And, the sloppy part... grease on the inside of the seal / hub area. Not leaked, but not cleaned up BEFORE assembly.

No problem. I cleaned it up, inspected everything, reassembled it and adjusted it per Lippert's instructions.

Here's some pictures of all 4 drums, of the "sloppy" grease application that was not cleaned up before installation. Also the RR axle (the others looked the same) Note, that this is not consistent with a LEAK from over greasing or a failed or damaged seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LF drum - 100 miles.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	43036   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR drum - 100 miles.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	43037   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF drum - 100 miles.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	43038   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR drum - 100 miles.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	43039   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR axle - 100 miles.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	43040  

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #84

I have read the comments/problems on this thread about the brakes. We have a 2013 320 rs columbus, so I was fairley upset after all the water leaks and electrical problems and bad service. I was awake most of the night worrying until I decided that I have done brakes plenty of times I guess I can do these. After all we are in Arizona and I have all winter. This morning I get up grab my creeper and under the traier I go to inspect the brakes. To my delight all of the axles are dry and look good through the inspection holes. I will manualy adjust them before heading back to Michigan. So not everyone of these trailers have bad brakes. My sympathys to those that do. Nothing scarrier than no brakes.
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
I've been following this thread pretty closely and thought I would post our experience and thoughts.

We bought our 2014 Columbus 365RL a little over a month ago. Since then we've put a little over a 100 miles on it. Last weekend, I pulled all 4 drums off to inspect and adjust as needed. This is something I have done with our previous RVs after a shakedown run, and then on a yearly basis. It's easy, takes about an hour to an hour an half, and provides us with the confidence that they will work as designed.

What I found, was what I expected. Decent parts, adjusted correctly, but sloppy cleanup before assembly. Bearings were adjusted correctly. There was the correct amount of grease. Wheel lug, brake backing plate, suspension torques were correct. Air pressure is still good. The brakes were adjusted correctly when picked up, but now after seating in, needed to be adjusted again (ours are manual adjust). And, the sloppy part... grease on the inside of the seal / hub area. Not leaked, but not cleaned up BEFORE assembly.

No problem. I cleaned it up, inspected everything, reassembled it and adjusted it per Lippert's instructions.

Here's some pictures of all 4 drums, of the "sloppy" grease application that was not cleaned up before installation. Also the RR axle (the others looked the same) Note, that this is not consistent with a LEAK from over greasing or a failed or damaged seal.
Great post. Since I did not get to inspect my brakes personally, this makes perfect sense to me. I know that one of the seals was blown and they replaced the backing plate. So, perhaps if everyone just gets them checked out and gives specific instructions, this situation may not be as bad as it seems on the surface.

Thanks for the great post.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #86

You Columbus guys are not the only ones with this issue. I purchased a new 2013 freedom express,liberty edition in October and its been to the dealer3 times now for brake issues, and yes its grease all over the place. I made 2 payments and 1 camping trip. I will give them 1 more chance to correct this issue.
If that fails I will seriously consider filling a law suit for negligent acts on Lippert's behalf. This is a serious issue where lives are in danger. Maybe a class action lawsuit might be in order. I'M SURE SOME ATTORNEY WOULD ENTERTAIN THIS ISSUE. ITS A NO-BRAINER ESPECIALLY WITH ALL OF THESE COMPLAINTS.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #87

Just an update I just received a letter from Lippert to have brakes checked for this issue I think they got the hint
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #88

UPDATE FROM SNAPPER. Lippert changed my entire braking system back in January of this year. I have traveled approximately 1000 miles over the summer and had the right rear seal go again. It was noticed when one of my 5200# axle started to show wear to both tires on the inner portion. To make a long story short. Many phone calls with Lippert. They would not send an axle without me paying for it up front . Axle was returned to see if it is defective. Then they said they will re pay me my total expense if found defective. It now week 3 and no word back, I'm not holding my breath.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #89

Very interesting story. I've had brake problems with my unit from the day it was delivered (with no brakes). After having brake failure on 3 different occassions, I've come to the conclusion that I'll have an independent repair shop put new brakes (self adjusters) and seals on so I don't have to worry about brake issues. Lippert is worhtless and I refuse to allow them to aggrivate me anymore.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #90

I have had week brakes since new. Tried using dealer but they could not find the problem. Started looking myself. Found the connections to the brakes were not good. Repaired connections and cleaned the connector on back of truck. My amps went from 9.9 to 12.2. That is what lippert says it should be.

I also received a letter to have them inspected. I will take back to dealer soon to have that done just to be sure.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #91

Found out today that my 2014 Columbus 340RK has grease on its brake pads .. We had gotten the service bulletin in the mail from Lippert and asked our dealer to check while winterizing.. New assembly's will be arriving in a couple of weeks..

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #92
Broke and happy

I am a new member of the club. My 2014 340rk had its brakes checked today and all 4 hubs and brakes were greased up. Compared to my old trailer, this trailer acted like it had weak brakes, from day one. Set the gain all the way up, from the beginning my first day, and put 6000 miles on the trailer.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I am a new member of the club. My 2014 340rk had its brakes checked today and all 4 hubs and brakes were greased up. Compared to my old trailer, this trailer acted like it had weak brakes, from day one. Set the gain all the way up, from the beginning my first day, and put 6000 miles on the trailer.
Lippert has just came out with a new design and a more aggressive break pads and larger magnets. There is a special break in period if you do not follow they will glaze over and not work correctly. My thinking is that when the trailer is delv. I know that the person pulling them is not doing it being it takes some time. They put these on my unit and I followed there instructions to the tee. Now they are seated and will stop you on a dime almost. But sure beat the ones that I used for over 10,000 miles and were always weak. Lets hope they are making progress. At least we can hope..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #94

Update. Took the trailer and letter to dealer. They found grease on brakes. Now getting parts. Should be ready by camping time.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #95

Bearing change

We purchased our 295 Columbus in September, knowing all the brake issues, I simply replaced all 4 wheel bearing (using timkins) removing the Chinese junk and replacing the grease with a PN SKF 22532. A much better seal than stock. Each wheel cost me around 100 dollars but its worth it knowing I have good parts under me.
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
40 Gal AUX TANK
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #96
Broke and happy

Mine work great now but I insisted dealer to adjust them after I did a burning in drive home and back. They perform like they should with Co troller set on 6 and will bite down if you need them. Very important to burn the breaks then adjust.
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, brakes