Old 12-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Swift2

Bugs

Going to Alaska next summer. I'm wondering if anybody knows how to seal up or put screens in all the holes to keep the bugs out?

Old 12-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #2

Which holes exactly? There are ready made screens for fridge vents, furnace vents, etc. Otherwise a tube of caulking and expanding foam carefully looking for any cracks. I've read where some people spray around the perimeter of their camper too, once set up

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #3

My son spent the last 10 years in Alaska. The bugs you need to worry about are the Mosquito. But they are so big they aren't going to get in any small opening. They may knock on your door though. My daughter visited him last year and described them as the size of buzzard that really hurt when the impale you.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Swift2

Alaska mosquitoes

Thank you guys for the reply and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
I have a question about the hood fan vent on my 320RS. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LADDER to open the vent from the outside. Seems odd to have to run outside, set up a ladder every time we want to use the hood fan. Any body made changes here?
Old 12-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift 2 View Post
Thank you guys for the reply and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
I have a question about the hood fan vent on my 320RS. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LADDER to open the vent from the outside. Seems odd to have to run outside, set up a ladder every time we want to use the hood fan. Any body made changes here?
On my 340RK I keep a small plastic one step stool / tool box, (good to sit on while fishing too) Perfect for opening the hood vent.

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

We were in Alaska last summer and had no problems with bugs getting in the trailer except the ones that came through the door when we did.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Swift2

Thanks Paul M. That's a great idea, especially the fishing part.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Swift2

Thanks Windjammer. Maybe those mosquitoes are to big to sneak in to those little screen holes. The last time I remember some no-see-ms that you really can't see but boy could they bite.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #9

BTW tonight we saw the Exodus Movie. And last sept we camped Cherrystone Eastern Shore Va, first row on the Ches Bay. Nice cool evening went to bed with the windows open and fantastic fan on. The next morning our camper was completely filled by a grey cloud. Hundreds of thousands of Gnats came in through the screens. We bought several packages of fly strips, hung them everywhere and replaced when each turned black (how many Gnats can fit on a 2ft strip, how many on an inch?). Since they didn't bite and TV reception good, we stayed hoping to eliminate them. But no luck just too many so went home after 3 days. We brought them home including hundreds in the refrigerator. The solution was a glass of wine with a drop of liquid soap, and jars of apple cider vinegar with small holes punched in the lid. Two days later all were drunk and drown. Great place to camp and glad we went, we will keep the windows closed next time.

Tags
bugs