Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Broke and happy

Bulge under Slideout

WE just bought this 2014 Columbus 340RK. I noticed under the Bedroom slideout at both corner ends running down about 6 inches by 3" wide some slight bulges, maybe a few millimeters in height. I took a few pictures, it will throw the light and is easy to detect. While at the dealer I inspected 3 other Columbus Slideouts and did not see no bulges whatsoever. Also did not see this on any other brands.

Anyone see this before? Should I be concerned? The dealer says they will do some diagnostics and tell me Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-14 16.45.36.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	44934   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-14 16.45.24.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	44935   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-14 16.45.51.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	44936  
bobfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #2

We have a 2013 320 but have never seen this before. Is it like that with the slide out?
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbell View Post
We have a 2013 320 but have never seen this before. Is it like that with the slide out?
yes like plastic deformation..In or out..
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Broke and happy

Is this delamination, brand new and no water entry?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #5

If you push on the bulges are they soft or hard
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Broke and happy

Hard no different then anyplace.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 AM   #7

Our 2013 340 RK has somthing similar (not as severe). One thing to watch is when putting the bedroom slide IN, The screws that hold the slide in place may start to work out. Alot of them were too short and or stripped when being diiven in by power screwdrivers. Check for this. On another note may I ask you to look at your counter top at the right of the stove top. When the Refrig. slide is OUT, do you see any gap forming between the stationary wall and the counter top?

Thanks, Paul

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #8

Boffa:

I had the same thing by the rare edge of the bed slide. It was bulging but solid as well. Unit went back to the factory for repairs just before Thanksgiving. Cannot tell you what they found yet, but factory rep is supposed to call me today, I hope.

I do know the general thought by the dealer was a stud my have come loose in the wall.

Get it checked before the warranty runs out.

Good luck!

Safety Guy
F-250, 6.0 PSD, 3:73 Rear End
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
safety guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Broke and happy

I went buy to pick it up. They submitted the problem to Forest River. They said its not a delam, and likely culprit is loose stud. I notice when the slide is out, the bulge becomes almost unnoticeable. They think they may be up to fix it by sectioning the sidewall, making repair and glassing the walling together again. Meanwhile just going to enjoy the not worry. It is under full warranty
Old 01-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #10

The studs are welded aluminum. If it's loose it means a weld broke. Time for a trip back to the factory if that's what it is.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Broke and happy

Shucks... Well heard today Forest River wants it back, for repair. In two weeks it heads 1200 miles Northward for sidewall replacement. Now to take everything out, and winterize it this weekend.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

Hopefully they will make it right AND get it back to you before summer is over.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

Wow, guess I called that one right. Be sure to type up a list of other concerns or problems and tape it to the fridge, as well as hand a copy to the driver to give to Columbus when he drops it off. Might as well get all the bugs fixed while it's back at the factory.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Wow, guess I called that one right. Be sure to type up a list of other concerns or problems and tape it to the fridge, as well as hand a copy to the driver to give to Columbus when he drops it off. Might as well get all the bugs fixed while it's back at the factory.
Good luck.
I don't think the weld broke, as the bulge is very solid. Maybe, but I think the area is under allot of stress, which could mean a bad frame alignment assembly. The bulge matches with an angled joust as shown lower front slide from this Sabre frame pic I found on a earlier post. I rather have it fixed now then have it a fatigue delam later.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #15

I spoke to factory rep last Friday. They are making a new side wall and hope to install it maybe next week weather permitting. They have been shut down a bunch this year due to extreme weather akin Indiana.

You will have to be patient and take some deep breaths. My unit has been at the factory since just before Thanksgiving and as I said they may start on it next week.

I also requested pictures of the unit when they remove the side wall. I will hopefully be able to tell what is really causing the bulge on mine once the wall is off.

Good luck!

Yes my patients are wearing thin. I live down south and we are getting to more spring like conditions soon and I am ready to camp. Maybe I will get it back by May.
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Team

good luck guys! Hope they fix it right the first time!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety guy View Post
I spoke to factory rep last Friday. They are making a new side wall and hope to install it maybe next week weather permitting. They have been shut down a bunch this year due to extreme weather akin Indiana.

You will have to be patient and take some deep breaths. My unit has been at the factory since just before Thanksgiving and as I said they may start on it next week.

I also requested pictures of the unit when they remove the side wall. I will hopefully be able to tell what is really causing the bulge on mine once the wall is off.

Good luck!

Yes my patients are wearing thin. I live down south and we are getting to more spring like conditions soon and I am ready to camp. Maybe I will get it back by May.
Mine is now winterized, emptied and ready to head up next week, weather permitting. I wish I could be going camping in LA -Kinder this weekend but the bulge needs to get fixed. They were talking about a quick 2 week turnaround (I hope). Time will tell. Good luck and hope you get yours back soon, if you can, post a factory pic of whats causing the bulge.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #18

Sounds like you live in Louisiana? If so me as well.

As soon as I can get a picture from factory I will try to post.
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #19

I would out right refuse the camper. It came to you in that condition and was damaged and unusable. The 'Solution' by Forest River. Take it back to the factory and replace the side of it. They will be taking the camper a part and putting in back together in certain areas. It will always be subpar and weak in areas for the rest of the life of the camper. One area effects other areas in a ripple effect. Send it back to the Dealer and let him deal with it and get another one with a different vin number and title. imo

Why am I feeling this way? when I bought my FR, the first three months of ownership, the Dealer had it for two of those months. too many issues that never should have shown up in the first place that was NOT the Dealers fault. It is getting close to the time to dewinterize my FR and heavy in the back of my mind is 'what will not work and what is broken'? I am getting ready to go on a thousand mile trip on SpringBreak and that last thing I want is to take it back to the Dealer because one of the slide to not work correctly. Peeved me off royally to have to drive my camper down the road with the back slide sticking several inches out because the motors would not work right to bring it in,TWICE.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Broke and happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety guy View Post
Sounds like you live in Louisiana? If so me as well.

As soon as I can get a picture from factory I will try to post.
Houston, but wife is from New Orleans area. We camp often in La. Lets hope this repair is spot on and end of issue.

Tags
slide, slide out