Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #201
NELA

We those all units back for warranty snafu's eDad, or was your unit in there with units on/during the production line?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #202
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We those all units back for warranty snafu's eDad, or was your unit in there with units on/during the production line?

That was their production line. One of the negatives for Sabre is the lack of a dedicated repair facility. During the winter months, they have 1 or 2 bays that they share between warranty fixes and production line issues.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #203

Glad to see that it is all wrapped up now ! Now as a responsible camper, you need to camp and camp & camp !
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Glad the Sabre got fixed up on round two. However, I l keep wondering why owners of RVs have to get involved at all with anyone over and above the dealer they bought it from. You bought the camper from your dealer, not Palomino, Forest River, Lippert, etc. Your dealer needs to take care of you the buyer. Not the factory taking care of the buyer and then the dealer washing their hands of it. I keep reading way too many stories of dealers passing the buck and staying out of the warranty repair mess.

Wrong answer Sam......
The squeaky wheel gets greased or It Gets Removed......

The removal is a Forest River owner going to another brand. Putting Grease (lip stick on a pig) on parts only covers up the problem for a short term. The Dealer (for most I assume) can and will do tweaks and fix issues that in most cases come from the Factory that way. I am hearing that all (most) of the parts of a unit come from different manufacturers. Do we 'blame' all of these manufacturers for sub par products and not FR. I would blame 'Wally World' for a shoddy product (which most is) and I would get my money back in a second from Wally World. In my case of the back slide from Lippert not moving in and the slide hanging out the side of the unit while I had to drive down the road to take it to the Dealer. The Dealer could not tell me how to get the thing in Manually. Bring it to 'us' as is....., I was told. I was put in that position Twice of having to take the unit back with a slide hanging out. I am not 100% sure of the problem as I did not look over his shoulder every minute my unit was there with him, but was told that it was a wire routing problem and a wire was getting jammed in a gear. I also feel that the motors on these slides do not have enough power to take the slides in and out in a correct manner, because they are all sluggish and jumpy. Was this a Lippert caused or FR factory.... it don't think the Dealer did this?

Yes, I am venting and at this point I will apologize to the Forest River Family for my tone. I never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I would have had this many issues with a camper. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have never bought that camper because of the time, trouble and yes, humiliation that it put me through. I camp with a 'Herd' and to show my Family and friends such a fine new camper and the features don't work. The tone from my family and friends is "should have kept your old camper.... because you got taken on this one..." I could not disagree with them at that point and still for the most part feel the same way today.

Thank-you for your time... this vent is over.

Forgive me Lord Jesus for my anger.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #205

Doug, Glad you are doing okay, seems everyone is blaming the dealer. The dealer also expects the unit not to have major problems, they can do little stuff only not major repairs. When a company puts out 35 units a day per line or brand on piece work this is what happens. They have to make there quota, some slip through. When I toured the factory they had a 3 generation family working together. The whole problem comes down to piece work. They would rather put the units out which most due not have major problems, and then just bring back the one's that really slipped through. They are a head of the game. How many people really had to go back to the factory on this forum? Not many but a lot of small complaints that the dealer takes care of and is being paid to do it. As long as they continue to do piece work, these things will happen now and then and that is a shame. But it was still taken care of just at another level. It's a industry problem not just FR. I'm glad they stood behind there product even through they had to get it back to the factory to do it. Even paying to have it done with shipping free to the consumer, they are still way ahead....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That was their production line. One of the negatives for Sabre is the lack of a dedicated repair facility. During the winter months, they have 1 or 2 bays that they share between warranty fixes and production line issues.
Should have asked you to look over our unit while you were there. Just got the call Monday that our 34 REQS-6 was off the production line and waiting to be shipped to Louisiana.
Glad things worked out.
"Ora et Labora"
Byrd7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #207
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd7806 View Post
Should have asked you to look over our unit while you were there. Just got the call Monday that our 34 REQS-6 was off the production line and waiting to be shipped to Louisiana.
Glad things worked out.
If it was still on the line Monday afternoon (3pm-4:30pm), I likely have picture(s) of it.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd7806 View Post
Glad things worked out.

I did see 3 of your model roll out on trucks about 230 Thursday
Mad DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #209

Did u get your baby back at home in one piece yet
Mad DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #210
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad DADDY View Post
Did u get your baby back at home in one piece yet

I spoke with the delivery company yesterday. As of now we're scheduled for delivery this Thursday. We'll see - the delivery company is singing a different/better tune this time around. I think Gary gave 'em the what for.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #211
In Search of a Vacation

Doug,

Did you get at chance to post any more of your factory pics?
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #212
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwblaylock View Post
Doug,

Did you get at chance to post any more of your factory pics?
In fact, I literally just did. Since Sabre was good to me, I wanted to give them a preview and right to ask me not to post specific photos/captions of what I learned while I was there. They didn't ask me to change anything.

Here are the photos from my personal tour around the factory by Gary:

Learn To RV: Palomino Sabre Factory Tour Photos
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #213

Great pics Doug! Thanks for the virtual tour. Is every model Sabre built at this site? How many units are in process at the same time?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #214
Always Learning

Camper is back from factory - worse shape than it left - resolution going well

As far as I know, this is the only factory for Sabre. I think they complete 10 units a day (I'm questioning myself on that number) and have a goal for 15 per day.

I don't know how many are actively being worked on at a time- is guess 30-35 in all of the areas from welding and fabricating of the walls to the chassis and then all of the building of the camper on top of it.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #215

So when a unit comes back for warranty work it takes the place of a possible new unit? Is there a separate facility for PDI prior to shipping or is QC during construction the prevailing method?
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #216
Oklahoma Proud

Great pics Doug!
Someday I'd love to go on a tour like that, looks pretty interesting. Seeing all thats involved and the equipment, buildings etc. Makes it almost unbelievable that campers dont cost more.

( Btw I pm'ed you yesterday.)

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 AM   #217
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
So when a unit comes back for warranty work it takes the place of a possible new unit? Is there a separate facility for PDI prior to shipping or is QC during construction the prevailing method?

There are a couple of bays after the end of the line. These bays are used for fixing the things that PDI finds for the random sampling of units that are sent there each day. The warrant work is worked into that flow of units.

All campers have QC on the line. Not all campers to to the PDI facility- only a random sampling go each day. Supposedly at the factory tour at last year's FROG Rally, it was said that you can request that your new factory order be PDI'd. It adds to the order/delivery schedule, of course.

MillerTime, my sister was in town yesterday and today. I'm off tomorrow (federal holiday), I'll text you! Sorry- I should have sent a note back.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #218
Always Learning

From the bay where my camper was to the rest rooms was probably 1/2-way up the line. I was awestruck watching these folks work. It's just so wildly different than my world behind a keyboard!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #219
In Search of a Vacation

Great Pics!! Thanks a ton!! Explains a lot of the inside wiring that's for sure!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #220

Glad all is coming back to the way it should have been...... Thanks for all the great info.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, factory