Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Man I hate it when I drive out to our storage lot to check on the trailer only to realize I don't have the trailer keys with me. I do that at least once a year. My excuse is my age.
Bob where you ever a shift worker, as in midnite shift, 4:10 AM whew!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #102

I am glad it is back off to the factory ! I have nothing but excellent things to say about the people at the Surveyor factory ! I am sure the same is true for your 5'th wheel's factory as well.

I always always keep the trailer keys in my truck ! That way there is no chance of never ever not having them with me when I am at the storage lot

Oh, They will probably park the trailer outside the factory for you to check unless they have an indoor facility for that purpose. To be honest staying in a dark factory at night would creep me out even if I am in my trailer ! Besides I would probably go parts shopping ! (Just kidding ! LOL)

Good luck with the repairs !
Old 01-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
A side from the fact that there no commercial signs on the truck, here's a question I have. What speed do these guys travel at? Since ST tires are rated for only 62 MPH and the tire won't show signs of distress until long after the trailer is returned to the owner, how would one know?
Seeing that they're not paid a lot per mile, you can expect that they pick a speed that delivers decent fuel mileage.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Seeing that they're not paid a lot per mile, you can expect that they pick a speed that delivers decent fuel mileage.

Dave
Well that depends, is there more gain in the number of trips one can get, or is the fuel savings a better bet!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #105

Quote:
Bob where you ever a shift worker, as in midnite shift, 4:10 AM whew!
LOL, something like that Don. I had to be at work by 4 AM so I usually had my alarm set at 2:50 AM. Now that I'm retired I sleep in til 5 AM some (not all) mornings.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #106

So glad things are going in the right direction! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #107
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh, it was only that late because of our woes getting hitched up. Well, ok - it started with my stupidity of getting to the storage lot without my camper keys! Wife had to bring them over.

So- I know y'all are just busting my chops. But they had me lock the doors saying that the factory has master keys or something. The driver didn't have keys.
Awww, I hope ya took my joshin' in the spirit I posted it.

Yep, the two times we took our V-Lite in for service we were told to lock only that top lock on the door and leave the bottom one unlocked.

They said they have a master key for that top lock, and if we locked the bottom lock we'd have to come back and unlock it for 'em. Since it's 90 miles away we'd probably have opted to just have a locksmith go out and re key it for 'em.

SO glad the 5er has only one door...less keys to juggle.

Are they (the drivers) gonna call ya when they've arrived there with your baby? I'd have asked them to.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #108
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I always always keep the trailer keys in my truck ! That way there is no chance of never ever not having them with me when I am at the storage lot

I do, too! Only I was in my car...
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #109
Always Learning

Weezer, I did! You've been able to keep me laughing through this.

I have to remember which locks I locked. I'm a little afraid that the doors are locked in a way that they can't get in. I am thinking I'll be overnighting keys on Monday.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #110

Ohh, of course you have multiple vehicles ! I got rid of my Camry shortly before the last kid unit moved off to university.

I would not worry about the locks at all, They will open them ! When we dropped ours we asked if we should unlock anything and we were reminded that we were at the factory, they have keys for everything And indeed the doors were unlocked (including the deadbolt) when we returned after couple of hours ...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #111

If they don't have the exact key, they will use the master key......hope all goes well for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crowbar-hi.png
Views:	148
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	45381  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #112
Carknocker Family

Quote:
A side from the fact that there no commercial signs on the truck, here's a question I have. What speed do these guys travel at? Since ST tires are rated for only 62 MPH and the tire won't show signs of distress until long after the trailer is returned to the owner, how would one know?
We travel once a month south down I 30 between Little Rock and Texarkana Tx. We see lots of new campers heading into Texas behind transports. Most running the speed limit, which is 70. And the ones we see have magnetic signs on the door or a sign taped to the inside of the rear window for the DOT info. Easy removal when empty, or pulling a registered trailer back to factory.
I am sure its for fuel mileage, not speed per run on a long distance delivery that they are running that speed. That, and I dont know who is responsible for damage between factory and dealer. I would think that it would be the transport if a tire blew or they drag the side off of it.
Happy for you on the fast turn around back to factory to get it fixed right.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #113

Being a Southern Guy I see things a little differently than You Northern Guys. If I had the initial problems you experienced I'd be in a world of doo doo. Many of us in Florida live in our RV's full time and having purchased a new RV and then sending back to the factory for weeks or months would be a total disaster for most of us.
The cost of having additional living expenses alone would be a serious hurt because we still have to make our monthly payments. The RV costs remain the same but we could not be staying in it.

I just can not even imagine having to deal with this situation - period.

Wow, makes me very concerned about purchasing a newer FR product as we are getting ready to do. The situation experienced here, in this thread, would actually make us live on the street or in the TV until resolved.
Scary thought... WoW
Good intentions by the dealer or factory would not resolve this situation.
BBDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Man I hate it when I drive out to our storage lot to check on the trailer only to realize I don't have the trailer keys with me. I do that at least once a year. My excuse is my age.

Need to add another line item to the check list friend???
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #115
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
We travel once a month south down I 30 between Little Rock and Texarkana Tx. We see lots of new campers heading into Texas behind transports. Most running the speed limit, which is 70. And the ones we see have magnetic signs on the door or a sign taped to the inside of the rear window for the DOT info. Easy removal when empty, or pulling a registered trailer back to factory.
I am sure its for fuel mileage, not speed per run on a long distance delivery that they are running that speed. That, and I dont know who is responsible for damage between factory and dealer. I would think that it would be the transport if a tire blew or they drag the side off of it.
Happy for you on the fast turn around back to factory to get it fixed right.
responded to wrong post

Old 01-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #116
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDAWG View Post
Being a Southern Guy I see things a little differently than You Northern Guys. If I had the initial problems you experienced I'd be in a world of doo doo. Many of us in Florida live in our RV's full time and having purchased a new RV and then sending back to the factory for weeks or months would be a total disaster for most of us.
The cost of having additional living expenses alone would be a serious hurt because we still have to make our monthly payments. The RV costs remain the same but we could not be staying in it.

I just can not even imagine having to deal with this situation - period.

Wow, makes me very concerned about purchasing a newer FR product as we are getting ready to do. The situation experienced here, in this thread, would actually make us live on the street or in the TV until resolved.
Scary thought... WoW
Good intentions by the dealer or factory would not resolve this situation.

I have absolutely no doubt that these trips back to the factory are industry wide, NOT just Forest River. I also have faith that if you do a search on this forum you will find that they aren't common.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #117

EVERY manufacturer has issues with production... EVERY ONE. How the manufacturer handles it is what makes the huge difference. This site is so focused on one manufacturer that I think everyone loses sight of this. Go on any other generic forum and you will see issues as outlined or worse with disasterous results from manufacturer. Being 'new' to the family I may be closer to this than others...
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 hole View Post
EVERY manufacturer has issues with production... EVERY ONE. How the manufacturer handles it is what makes the huge difference. This site is so focused on one manufacturer that I think everyone loses sight of this. Go on any other generic forum and you will see issues as outlined or worse with disasterous results from manufacturer. Being 'new' to the family I may be closer to this than others...
you are very right. Doesn't matter what brand or how much $$$ you spend, they are all built just good enough to not fall apart going down the road. My wifes boss got a new $300,000 diesel pusher last year, was without it most of the summer while it was back at the factory for a slide problem.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
I kind of wonder if the transport guys remove the DOT magnet sign from their truck when they are towing a used RV. Looks like a pleasure trip aka non commercial towing event. No log book needed either. Still get paid the miles and a great flying under the radar gig if you can stay awake and stay safe.
I know when we were on our way home from the FROG Rally last year all the ones towing east had their signs, but we did see a lot of dually trucks without campers heading west with no signs on their trucks, figured they could by-pass the scales that way.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #120

Edad any word from F.R. Factory . Are they keeping you apprise to the progress ?
Doctarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, factory