Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
JTant,
Hello from VA,
First keep in mind that anything over 70 is hot to my family.

First camper 31 tt with 30 amp service with 1 15btu AC.
In the summer couldn't keep the camper below 80.

Put a 13.5 ac in the bunk house where the roof vent was. Ran a seperate 30 amp cord just for the AC. With cheaters for 50 amp and 20 amp. Complete install for about $700. That was about 5 years ago thouogh

Camper was then nicknamed the meat locker!!!!

Now have a 43ft toy hauler and it had 2 ac and put a 3rd on it in the garage.
Her name is Bertha but she also a meat locker!!!

Good luck and Happy Camping!!!!
Thanks for the advise. I may be checking with you about how you installed and wher you bought the second AC. I was reading somewhere that 15K is supposed to cool up to 800 sq ft but I am not sure about what insulation value was needed and windows that are installed in most campers are single pane and not much help. I really don't like camping in extremely hot temperatures anyway but thanks for the post and I may ask for specifics from you if this just doesn't keep us comfortable. I owned a 31 ft travel trailer with a 13.5 and it was fine all the time except for once in Vegas. Need to get your way. Do you have any recommendations for camping in the Shendoah (sp) Valley? We are also seeking a nice campground on Chesapeake (sp) Bay? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks JT

Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #32
Just Love to Camp

Jtant,

I will be more than willing to help in anyway.

In the Valley, Yes I am blessed to be born, raised and living in there are a ton of campgrounds. Depends on what kind of camping you like. If you let me know I will have to give you some recomendations. On the Bay there are two that I have heard good things about but havent been to. One is Cherry Stone and the other is Beth Page. From the looks of it they look like huge campground with Water\Splash parks with crabbing and all kinds of stuff to do.

So What kind of camping you into. Peace and quite, or tons for the family to do, state Parks, Hiking.

Let me know and I will be happy to help you out.

PS it is 70 degrees here today and my camper is covered and we wont go until March. Not a happy camper today

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordes View Post
Jtant,

I will be more than willing to help in anyway.

In the Valley, Yes I am blessed to be born, raised and living in there are a ton of campgrounds. Depends on what kind of camping you like. If you let me know I will have to give you some recomendations. On the Bay there are two that I have heard good things about but havent been to. One is Cherry Stone and the other is Beth Page. From the looks of it they look like huge campground with Water\Splash parks with crabbing and all kinds of stuff to do.

So What kind of camping you into. Peace and quite, or tons for the family to do, state Parks, Hiking.

Let me know and I will be happy to help you out.

PS it is 70 degrees here today and my camper is covered and we wont go until March. Not a happy camper today
I feel your pain also. It's about 5PM and my outdoor thermo says 68 degrees wish I were camping also but it will be March before I venture out also. Not a fan if big places with putt-putt and all that other stuff. Love state parks but most of ours do not have sewer hook ups which is nice. However, my new rig has 84 gals of gray water and 42 black so I don't think that is an issue anymore, used to be 30 and 30. Love quiet places with lots of space between sites. Hiking and photography are my outside hobbies. Pets are a must, we travel with 2 jack russells. Not a fan of KOAs most of the time sites are small and very close to each other. Quiet parks with large sites that are not too close to each other with great scenery. Thanks for any suggestions if you are coming through Tn I have a few favorites I could recommend to you. JT
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #34

we camp in one campground that doesn't offer anything greater than 30amp. we run them one at a time. we run the main unit durring the day and switch to the heat pump (br) at nite. the noise blocks out outside activity.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #35

Thanks for all this info. We plan to order our 5th Wheel at the upcoming show.
2 X AC it is. Bonus if the Bedroom unit is a Heatpump.

Got it.
Ed and Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #36

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed and Joy View Post
Thanks for all this info. We plan to order our 5th Wheel at the upcoming show.
2 X AC it is. Bonus if the Bedroom unit is a Heatpump.

Got it.
Ed & Joy, I don't know of anywhere in Canada where you will need 2 A/C units even July August. We have 1 in our new trailer, and had 1 in our old trailer and hardly ever used it! And if you do need to use air conditioning 1 is more than enough. On the other hand if you plan on doing Arizona in July then????
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #37

Winters in the south

We plan to go south for the winters. So Arizona, yes. Summer in Arizona, no. The summers are so nice here at home that I would not want to miss one. Summer is short but nice.
Also, I wrote about the heat pump being in the front AC and it is only offered in the rear AC unit.

It just warmed up to -20C here today, it has been -35C for weeks with wind chills making -40 to -46.

Which way to Arizona... next winter.
Ed and Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #38

Yes I agree summers here in the south (Canada) are quite nice as well, winters however are something else! As I get older I find I need more heat. One day I will check out Yellowknife, we have done Alaska want to do it again and will include Yellowknife in the next Journey. On the AC question get the one heat pump unit you won't regret it. We just finished a few days of -35C enough for me!!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #39

If you come to Windsor, Ontario in the summer, you will probably use 2 ACs. Right now it's -9 C but on Monday it's supposed to get up to +10C and rain. Oh the Florida of Canada.........