Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Central Vacuum

Wife has a few questions. I just got what I hope is the final quote on a Sabre 32RCTS 5th wheel. On the central vacuum:

How long is the provided vacuum hose?

Where do you guys/gals store it?

Do you think it is more cumbersome than a light weight upright with a long power cord?

Is there a floor sweep?

Do you vacuum the linoleum with it?

Thanks
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Wife has a few questions. I just got what I hope is the final quote on a Sabre 32RCTS 5th wheel. On the central vacuum:

Do you think it is more cumbersome than a light weight upright with a long power cord?

Is there a floor sweep?

Thanks
WE have it in our 34 foot FW:

1. Not sure but it reaches all the way to the front and rear of our unit.

2. WE store the hose and all of the accessories
in the bag that came with it in the cabinet above the TV.

3. No.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

I advise you, if you get one, to check that there is a bag attached to it before using it the first time. Ours did not have a bag attached and I did not know it until I checked it the first time. There was a pack of new bags in the compartment, but not one was attached.

We think it is a great feature to have.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #3

Quote:

Is there a floor sweep?

Thanks
While I dont have that specific model but here is what I can tell you (our 5vr is a 36QBOK).

The hose will reach everywhere in the camper (it stretches to reach).

We store ours in the closet in the master bedroom (it comes with a bag to store it in.)

I have only used the central vac one time so far, but can tell you I wont put our lightweight upright sweeper that we were using in this rig.

There are attachments for the floor with a "switch" that will raise and lower it to go on either carpet/tile/lino. etc.

Will take some pics when I get a chance if you want.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

I installed the Red Devil built-in vac our first season with this unit. We like it a lot. In answer to your q's:

How long is the provided vacuum hose? Mine is 20'+/- I can actually reach OUTSIDE, and vacuum out the pass-through compartment!

Where do you guys/gals store it? My vacuum is mounted under the dinette bench seat, behind a pull-out drawer. I found that there is plenty of room under the bench, behind the drawer, so I just lift the cushion and the bench cover board, and the hose, wand, and attachments are all right there.

Do you think it is more cumbersome than a light weight upright with a long power cord? Much handier.

Is there a floor sweep? Available as an optional accessory, but I don't have it.

Do you vacuum the linoleum with it? All the time.

All-in-all, one of my best and most used modifications!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #5

Vacuum

Hey QCCowboy.

Why wont you use your light weight upright? Seems like an easier solution than messing & pulling hoses around cabinet corners. You just unwrap power cord, plug in & go.

Just curious.....
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Hey QCCowboy.

Why wont you use your light weight upright? Seems like an easier solution than messing & pulling hoses around cabinet corners. You just unwrap power cord, plug in & go.

Just curious.....
A couple reasons for us. The power cord on an upright is just never long enough so I am always unplugging and plugging in. It is more difficult to store because of the size and shape, our central vac can reach almost every nook and cranny without attachments (always had to use attachments with our upright.)
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Ours has a 34' hose and a power head, store everything in the drawer in the couch. Really like it altho it is a little noisy.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #8

All though we don't have a Sabre, Sandpiper 34RET, love the installed vac. Hose reaches the whole camper and works well. It came with the winter bonus package, at no additional cost.

2020 F350 Extended Cab
2018 Sandpiper 354RET

fkent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

We like the fact that we can sweep the vinyl floor with a broom and sweep the debris into the vacuum inlet by just lifting a cover. Sucks up all the stuff we just swept there. We took our old s vacuum out.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Denver, CO

The central vac are a total waste. We got a Miele stick vacuum that is AWESOME. Twice the suction and a powered beater bar to boot. Takes up much less room than the hose.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

The central vac is great! Wouldn't be without it.
mmunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Owner/Operator

I guess that's why they make Fords and Chevys, so that people can purchase their preference.

I've installed a central vacuum in the last 3 RVs that I've owned, and find them far superior to small "stick" type vacuums. I've installed the Dirt Devil model 950, and while noisy, and having a pretty hefty Amp draw, the suction is outstanding.

Wouldn't leave home without one.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
Trailer Trash

Eureka yellow jacket is factory install in the Columbus line. They work great! There is a bunch of hose attachments for a reason. Once you start using them for cleaning things other than the floor, you will appreciate the central vacuum system even more.

And as someone previously mentioned, on Columbus RV, lift the white door straight up about 1/2" and the system turns on. You then can use a broom to sweep non carpet areas. Sweep up the debris right into the white vacuum door and the stuff just disappears and cleans the broom too!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Denver, CO

I always hated dragging the frickin hose everywhere. Hated the one in the house to so just use the upright HEPA we got. The German made Miele combines the size and weight of a stick vacuum with the versatility of a hand held and the power of an upright. Very well engineered.

Worth taking a look at, I think.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Trailer Trash

Well, you know what they say about German Engineering. Looks like a nice rig. Certainly the Mercedes of stick vacs and priced accordingly. Kind of a neat hybrid between an upright and stick vac. But for those that shell out 400+ bucks on a Dyson.............

For those interested, Miele S194 stick vac. $230 on ebay.
Miele S194 Quickstep Universal Upright Vacuum New Red | eBay
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #16

Our roller brush doesn't turn. Doesn't pick up much either. Cleaned and did all we can think of. Think the vac is just not made that well.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
Our roller brush doesn't turn. Doesn't pick up much either. Cleaned and did all we can think of. Think the vac is just not made that well.
I believe ours has an electric plug on the roller head that powers it. Check for a good connection.

Speaking of RV central vacuums - we used ours quite a bit after we got our RV. So one day I decided it might be time to check the bag. To my surprise, after opening the canister up,there was no bag installed. I found An unopened package of bags laying close by.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I believe ours has an electric plug on the roller head that powers it. Check for a good connection.

Speaking of RV central vacuums - we used ours quite a bit after we got our RV. So one day I decided it might be time to check the bag. To my surprise, after opening the canister up,there was no bag installed. I found An unopened package of bags laying close by.
Thank you. I even replaced the bag. Happy 4th.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote