Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Columbus Floor Insulation: Fiberglass or Foam?

Let me start by saying we believe that foam insulation is superior to fiberglass in an RV. One of the things that attracted us to the Columbus was the foam insulation. From what I know, there are only two manufacturers that offer decent foam insulation in more affordable RVs (fifth wheels), and that's Palomino's Columbus and the higher end Heartland models. Jayco offers R-21 foam, which I don't think is too good. If someone knows of other ones, please let us know.

While researching the 325RL, I happened across an older post on another forum that indicated that fiberglass insulation is used in the floor of the Columbus. The website says the floor is laminated, so I assumed it was foam just like the roof. Can anyone verify which it is, please? Also, does anyone know for sure if astrofoil is used in the roof and floor or just the floor? From the website, it looks like it's only used in the floor. I do know, from a previous discussion with Christopher Columbus, that astrofoil is used in the slide-out floors.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

A construction cut-away detail on the website would be so helpful.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Factory Rep

Block foam insulation is in the Columbus floor

Below in the basement is 2 layers of spun Fiberglas insulation as well as a layer of the space age bubble foil. In addition too all the tanks having heat pads as well as furnace heat vented into basement .
No bubble foil in roof as it is laminated and the pressure from the lamination would crush the bubble foil. But the roof at the high point crown is 6 " deep.
New literature is being worked at this time and should answer most construction features . We were slow to show our features as it seems the competition is keen to find out what we do. Now the cat is out of the bag and Columbus was the fastest retailed fifth wheel in the last 12 months
Thanks to all that have helped us in this venture.
We are still attentive to our customers needs and honestly try to improve as we go.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Trailer Trash

Thanks Chris. It's one of many reasons why I bought one.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Thanks Chris for your explanations and assistance on various topics on this forum.

It's All Good!!!
Geeza42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

Sorry for the delay in responding. CC. My computer caught a virus while I was working yesterday, and I've wasted hours trying to get rid of it. As a side note to everyone - if you get a pop-up that says there is an update for Adobe, it may not be legit! Go to the official website to get your updates instead.

Anyhow, thank you very much for answering my questions! I do, as well as I know others do/will, appreciate having this knowledge. And thanks for explaining the delay in getting up the construction cut-away. I understand.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Christopher Columbus - Are there other types of reflective foil insulation, as in types that do not have the bubbles? I am thinking I ran across some types that do not have the bubbles.

Even a bubble-less type would help to deflect the sun's heat away from the roof (and walls if usable there) of the RV.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

floor insulation

The floor is also made up of a sandwich of foam insulation. The floor is 2" thick made up of a 3/8" plywood on top. Next is a piece of 11/2" of foam. The bottom is a 1/8" piece of plywood. These measurements are as close as I could tell. I hope these will a little more information for you.

Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Thank you, Bob. :>)