Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Columbus 32" bedroom TV option - what am I missing?

Hi all. New to FRF and hope to soon be a new Palomino Columbus owner. Been poring over the options on the order form for several days now and I'm having a hard time understanding what is so special about the 32" bedroom TV option that makes it worth $760 MSRP? Looking at the online brochure, as I understand it, the bedroom "wall mounted and framed TV cabinet" is a standard bedroom feature. Can anyone confirm that? I already have a 29" LCD in my current TT, so no need for the 32" Hisense at what seems to be a ridiculously inflated cost if that option only adds the TV to a cabinet that's already there as a standard feature. For about that same price, I could get a 50" Samsung. (Yeah, I know it won't fit in there, but you get my point.) Am I missing something?
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

Just an inflated cost for a tv. It may have a wall mount on a swing arm which drives up the cost a few dollars but no diff than a tv you can grab anywhere else.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
RKR

I would make sure the room is wired/cabled for a TV and just get my own. Now days you can pick a decent bedroom size TV for a couple hundred bucks.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I would make sure the room is wired/cabled for a TV and just get my own. Now days you can pick a decent bedroom size TV for a couple hundred bucks.
X2. IMHO paying $760 for a 32" Hisense is nonsence. A trip to Best Buy or Amazon will score you a better 32" for alot less.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

Thanks. You guys confirmed my thinking that it was just a very obnoxious manufacturer's markup. I'll be passing on that option. (Now you've got me thinking about what other options I can add myself after the fact for considerably less than what the manufacturer wants.)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Not a factory option but if you were considering putting covers over your roof vents/fans it's real easy to do and alot cheaper than having the dealer install them. Figure 10-15 minutes of your time per cover.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
semi-senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
Hi all. New to FRF and hope to soon be a new Palomino Columbus owner. Been poring over the options on the order form for several days now and I'm having a hard time understanding what is so special about the 32" bedroom TV option that makes it worth $760 MSRP? Looking at the online brochure, as I understand it, the bedroom "wall mounted and framed TV cabinet" is a standard bedroom feature. Can anyone confirm that? I already have a 29" LCD in my current TT, so no need for the 32" Hisense at what seems to be a ridiculously inflated cost if that option only adds the TV to a cabinet that's already there as a standard feature. For about that same price, I could get a 50" Samsung. (Yeah, I know it won't fit in there, but you get my point.) Am I missing something?
Use what you have or buy what you want, I did just that and it works just fine!
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
RECAT

I special ordered ours without the 32" TV for just that reason. It still came with all the connections, the TV Framing and even the wall side of the mount in the bedroom. Many TVs of better name and function are far cheaper and I am certain work atleast as good if not better than that high priced option.
2014 COLUMBUS 320RS
WAR EAGLE !!
REBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

We ordered our 370fl without the bedroom tv for that very reason! $750 for a 32" tv is crazy! I bought a brand new Vizio HD 32" and a wall mount at walmart and have $250 in the whole thing! We did get the 24" kitchen tv option though, it was only like $225 and it has a mount with the pivoting arm on it, didnt think that was to bad of a deal!
rc.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

We just ordered a 320RS, and went with the 32" TV option. Keep in mind that although the option is listed at $750, all options can usually be negotiated down to 35% off the list, so that brings it down to a more reasonable level. We just wanted all components warranted through FR. I've made too many trips back and forth to Wal Mart returning junk TV's.
bsifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsifritt View Post
We just ordered a 320RS, and went with the 32" TV option. Keep in mind that although the option is listed at $750, all options can usually be negotiated down to 35% off the list, so that brings it down to a more reasonable level. We just wanted all components warranted through FR. I've made too many trips back and forth to Wal Mart returning junk TV's.

Keep in mind also that your TV or any other appliance will not fall under your Forest River warranty.
You will have to mail off warranty info for each appliance , AC, fridge, heater and TV. I bought my 5r off the lot so it already had a Magnavox.
Even with 35% off it's still too much in my opinion for 32" TV. It would be close to $500.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Keep in mind also that your TV or any other appliance will not fall under your Forest River warranty.
You will have to mail off warranty info for each appliance , AC, fridge, heater and TV. I bought my 5r off the lot so it already had a Magnavox.
Even with 35% off it's still too much in my opinion for 32" TV. It would be close to $500.
Agreed. I can get a 32" Samsung 1080p ultra slim LED at Sam's or Costco for about $150 less than than the Columbus option at 35% off. And when it breaks, I walk it back into Sam's instead of shipping it off to wherever the heck HiSense are repaired.

Tags
bedroom, columbus, television