Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Columbus 320 Arrived - Flex Pin Box?

Camping in St. Augustine...spring break, last trip for our Flagstaff 25DS. Called dealer, our 320 arrived Monday. Need to get my Silverado HD to him to install the hitch, as a result will not be taking delivery until next Saturday, Carly Simon's "anticipation", keeps ringing in my head.

I have seen a couple of posts regarding Flex Pin Box's. In a nut shell what do they do, etc., and about what can I expect cost wise for a dealer to install one?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2

Yeah for the arrival!!! we didn't get the flex pin box! We haul with Silverado 2500 HD. Hauls greats --- LOVE LOVE our Columbus. Going back out this weekend!! Going to try the satellite connection in basement.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Congratulations on your new Columbus! Welcome to the growing family of Columbus owners.
The Trail Air Rota Flex pin box is different where as the pin itself is insulated from the pin box by a thick piece of rubber and it has limited movement laterally and vertically.
This absorbs much of the "chucking" which is quite common with many 5th wheels. That's the forward and aft movement felt while you're driving down the road pulling a fiver. My Sabre didn't have one, my Columbus does. BIG difference. It was only a $230 option so I went with it. Here's their website with more information:
Rota Flex
Good luck and hope to see you down the road!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A pin box like the Mor/ryde Trailair Rotoflex help to reduce the 'chucking' that can occur when towing a 5th wheel. Chucking is a jerking motion (forward/backward)...lots of theories on it's cause.

The time to investigate this style of pinbox would have been before you purchased...the upgraded pin box could have been ordered at minimal additional cost. To install now will be $600 plus labor (could be done yourself) and you'll have a extra, standard pin box.

Dave

Edit: Amxpress...you beat me to it!

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
Yeah for the arrival!!! we didn't get the flex pin box! We haul with Silverado 2500 HD. Hauls greats --- LOVE LOVE our Columbus. Going back out this weekend!! Going to try the satellite connection in basement.
You have a TV hookup in the basement???? the only thing i see there is a place to plug in a able next to the radio, is that suppose to be hooked to the TV? I didn't get the fiber-optic cable yet, but when i do--- i'll see if the surround sound works and let ya know.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
You have a TV hookup in the basement???? the only thing i see there is a place to plug in a able next to the radio, is that suppose to be hooked to the TV? I didn't get the fiber-optic cable yet, but when i do--- i'll see if the surround sound works and let ya know.
We got the 2013 model and have a satellite connection in the basement right next to the USB port. And there is a AC outlet. Will take a picture of it this weekend.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

I am experiencing "Chucking" on my 3 week old Sabre 32 RCTS. I never even heard of that term untill my dealer mentioned it to me when I called about the jerking I felt during the 30 Mile trip home.

Of course, now I that I know what to search or, I'm finding all kinds of info here....like this post.

It did improve a little after loading and is only a problem on some roads, but, it is still there.

Looks like MorRyde, TrailAir and maybe others offer products that should help, but it could be pricey trial error experiement with out a plan.

I also thought about approaching the dealer or Sabre to see if they would consider some sort of "good will" credit towards a retro fit. (It could happen!)

But in the mean any product or solution suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

You brought up a good point.
Place a little more weight in the front of the trailer to increase your pin weight.
It can often help ride quality in the TV.

Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote