Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Columbus 320 rs TV and light switches interferrence

We are breaking in our new 320rs and are loving it! But we found that when we are watching local channels with the roof top anteanna that if we turn on some of the lights in the rig that we loose reception. It will sometimes come back after a minute or so, but it comes right back on if you turn the switch off. Our tech at the dealer is investigating it but I thought I would have better luck here! We have tried adjusting the anteanna with no luck. Not sure if it is an reception problem or an electrical issue?? Is this something anyone has experienced? Thank you!!

Kerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Columbus 302 rs

Haven't heard of that problem before.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Larry,

The roof antenna requires an amplifier to operate and that requires battery power. This should not be a problem if you are plugged in to shore power or running on a generator.

Running on battery, turning on a light will reduce the voltage available. If your battery is getting low, the voltage may fall below that required to power your amp. Are you running a 12 volt TV at the same time or running a 120 Volt AC TV through an inverter?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Larry,

The roof antenna requires an amplifier to operate and that requires battery power. This should not be a problem if you are plugged in to shore power or running on a generator.

Running on battery, turning on a light will reduce the voltage available. If your battery is getting low, the voltage may fall below that required to power your amp. Are you running a 12 volt TV at the same time or running a 120 Volt AC TV through an inverter?
Hi Lou!

We are running on shore power. The amplifier is on. It all works fine until you turn the bathroom light switch on, then we loose signal. It must be a power issue though because it is only SOME channels, and only SOME
switches. We have tried adjusting anteanna with no success. A strange event for sure. We are not running any a/c or any appliances at all. In fact most the time there will just be the TV and maybe one light on. And it seems to be mostly one channel, or two, and one or two lights that do it. Not a huge problem, more of an annoyance than anything.

Thanks for responding!!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

ranchand

Our Columbus 320RS also has the same problem with loosing TV signal when a light is turned on. Our light that causes the TV to freeze is the hall light above the interior steps. We do not use that light very often so it has not been too much of a problem. But there is a problem and if you find out what the matter is, pass it on. If I ever get enough things for the dealer to fix I will make the 90 mile trip(one way) to get the list taken care of. I'm sure there must be others with the same problem.We have been very happy with our Columbus and hope you enjoy yours as well!
ranchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

I have the same problem with my 295RL. I bet it only happens when you turn on the LED lights in the kitchen or hall. The LED lights setup some sort of interference when they are in the proximity of the antenna. I changed a porch bulb on my class A before I traded for the 295RL and it did the same thing. When I switched to back the filament bulb problem disappeared. I think we are just going to have to not use those lights when on the antenna. Anxious to see if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. Debarymj
debarymjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

We have a problem with that also in our 320, so when and if anyone finds out the problem, please post it-- I've heard of others having this problem also.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Trailer Trash

Same drill with mine. Also the kitchen and hallway lights lower or kill reception on the basement radio. So today I Googled LED lighting radio interferance. On a ham radio website forum I found that the LED lights do indeed emit RF noise. One guy flipped the polarity on his LED light and problem went away - The LED light was not polarity dependant in the socket. SOOOOO, flip your lights in the socket and see what happens.

IF that doesn't work, get creative with RF shielding. Thin copper film plates aka copper tinfoil is used inside of electronic equipment enclosures to reduce/eliminate RF noise emmisions from the electronic device. Playing with this material may also help.

It's winter in Minnesota. It's gonna be awhile before we do any testing up here in the great white north.

Regarding TV reception.......the bedroom TV has a setup menu that allows you to view the antenna signal. Get to this menu then rotate your roof antenna to adjust for best signal reception.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

ok I haven't noticed this in our 320. Though DH almost always puts up the satellite dish third.... first electric, second water, third sewer or satellite!!! Haven't used the antennae but a few times.

when it gets warm I must investigate this!!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Coax cable is shielded and should reject any interference PROVIDED the shielding is intact from one end to the other. If the shielding was damaged when pulling the wires through the duct work or the ends are poorly made (a chronic manufacturing problem as folks who have had Concertone problems can testify) the shielding can allow RF interference from AC or DC sources to overlay the digital signals.

I would check your cable ends for good termination connections.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Same drill with mine. Also the kitchen and hallway lights lower or kill reception on the basement radio. So today I Googled LED lighting radio interferance. On a ham radio website forum I found that the LED lights do indeed emit RF noise. One guy flipped the polarity on his LED light and problem went away - The LED light was not polarity dependant in the socket. SOOOOO, flip your lights in the socket and see what happens.

IF that doesn't work, get creative with RF shielding. Thin copper film plates aka copper tinfoil is used inside of electronic equipment enclosures to reduce/eliminate RF noise emmisions from the electronic device. Playing with this material may also help.

It's winter in Minnesota. It's gonna be awhile before we do any testing up here in the great white north.

Regarding TV reception.......the bedroom TV has a setup menu that allows you to view the antenna signal. Get to this menu then rotate your roof antenna to adjust for best signal reception.

Hi Joelek!

We will investigate the LED issue and see if there is something we can do.
When you talk about the TV reception and the 'set up menu' are you reffering to the scan that is done off the menu=channels=auto channel search, then it locates the available channels? Or is there something else I am missing? We have the Hisense TV BTW.
Thanks!!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #12

My Columbus 320RS was built in March 2012.
If I turned on the LED lights over the TV or stove, the TV picture would go out when using the roof antenna.
Here's what I would recommend doing:
Remove the antenna amplifier plate located behind the TV.
Make sure the coax cables are all tightly screwed into the amplifier. Also, make sure the coax terminals are tight on the cable ends. Mine wasn't. It is now and my TV works great with the antenna.
Finally, make sure ALL the coax cables are connected to the amplifer. The cable running to my roof antenna was not connected AND the terminal end was loose.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
My Columbus 320RS was built in March 2012.
If I turned on the LED lights over the TV or stove, the TV picture would go out when using the roof antenna.
Here's what I would recommend doing:
Remove the antenna amplifier plate located behind the TV.
Make sure the coax cables are all tightly screwed into the amplifier. Also, make sure the coax terminals are tight on the cable ends. Mine wasn't. It is now and my TV works great with the antenna.
Finally, make sure ALL the coax cables are connected to the amplifer. The cable running to my roof antenna was not connected AND the terminal end was loose.
Good luck.

Thanks amxpress! I will give that a look tomorrow hopefully and see if it works! I will post if something works!!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #14

ranchand

Amxpress, my Columbus 320 was built in June of 2012 so I will check the cable connections. Is the antenna amplifier behind the amplifier wall plate? Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this issue.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryj View Post
Hi Joelek!

We will investigate the LED issue and see if there is something we can do.
When you talk about the TV reception and the 'set up menu' are you reffering to the scan that is done off the menu=channels=auto channel search, then it locates the available channels? Or is there something else I am missing? We have the Hisense TV BTW.
Thanks!!
Not the Hisense tv in living room as I never found this feature on the Hisense brand. Use the bedroom TV - mine is a Toshiba. Not the scan for channels menu either. There is a setup menu for checking/displaying antenna reception. Sorry I don't have the how to get to this setup feature memorized so you will have to play with it yourself.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchand View Post
Amxpress, my Columbus 320 was built in June of 2012 so I will check the cable connections. Is the antenna amplifier behind the amplifier wall plate? Thanks for sharing your experience regarding this issue.
The wall plate is a power supply for the amp which is part of the antenna on the roof (inside the white box). It is also a powered switcher that switches the TV feeds to the roof antenna when ON and to the cable TV connection on the outside of the camper when "OFF."

Lots of connections back there to check including the splitters.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sensar Antenna and Amp Plate.pdf (1.06 MB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

We had the exact problem. Turn on the lights, Especially the switch on slide near LR tv, and we would nearly lose tv reception on cable. It would be one of watching DVD. After 2 days of trouble shooting by the tech on site it was found that none of the screw on connectors were grounded. The factory just screwed on the connectors without stripping some of the insulation back and exposing the silver mesh of coax. After replacing all the ends it works perfect. We ha to remove panels underneath Rv and find the male-male connector. Forest river rep Bryant is aware of this. I sent home pics of the way factory did connectors
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #18

Also. Our unit was built in March 2012
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #19

ranchand

Thanks herk7769 for posting the information regarding the antenna amplifier. When I get time I will check the connections behind the wall and see if coax connections are good.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Rugmanrn, was the work the dealer done in reworking the coax connections covered by factory warranty? Sounds like I may have the same issue with my tv and LED lighting. I lose tv signal when some of my light switches are turned on. Have Columbus 320 built June 2012

Tags
320rs, reception