Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #21

goukcats
Guess it's time to sign up on Facebook for that group alone. I have been reading as much as I can for almost a year now. First had to learn about trucks and all of the load carrying metrics for each. We chose a 2014, F350 Diesel, SRW, Lariat package and took delivery last Friday. The handbook on that thing alone is almost 2" thick. Will be a long time to read it all. I know everyone has their preferences on TV but we think we made the right choice for us in a truck.
Then had to decide on the hitch and I chose the Demco Hijacker 18K Autoslide. We also upgraded the pin box to the Demco Glideride. I have a bad back after being run over by a car 10 years ago so anything I can do to limit the chucking I simply have to do. The wear and tear on the truck, trailer, and my back will all hopefully be reduced.
Then we searched for the right 5th wheel. It's just my wife and I and our two Australian shepherds Skye & Finn. We started looking at motorhomes year ago and then gravitated to the truck and 5th wheel combination because we think we will get more room, especially with the slides. Found the Columbus 320RS and had not looked back.
I just ordered our Progressive Industries Surge Protector and will need to get this installed. Not sure our dealer has done this before and want the install done right. Also want to be sure it goes in the best location so still have to work this out. Any thoughts??
Just located our storage lot and will most likely get that locked down this coming weekend.
Insurance on both the truck and trailer are taken care of so that is good.
I bought a water pressure regulator so now just need the water hoses, sewer hose, and other things of that type.
Things really add up $$ so I am glad we have been socking funds aside for many years to get to this point.
I guess my biggest hurdle is driving the truck while pulling the trailer. I have towed many boats and cargo trailers but nothing this big. I'm a confident driver but have to admit I am a bit hesitant until I get some miles under my belt. it really is the turns in town more than anything else. Any helpful hints are appreciated.
Anyway, that's our story to date and we can wait to use it. Our last three vacations have been to Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton, and the western half of Colorado hiking and simply enjoying nature. Our first trip is planned for mid May at Clift Falls State park in Indiana with the dogs. Haven't been able to have them with us the last few trips so that will be nice as well.
You can be sure I will continue to read all I can on this site and everywhere else I can learn something.
Thanks again, Tigerbug
Tigerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #22
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbug View Post
SYE
You posted:
This has been the topic of a lot of conversations in our Columbus Owners Group, there are a bunch of prospective members. You might look there for some more answers

We are new as well and our Columbus 320RS just arrived at the dealer last Saturday. We also have a brand new F350 Diesel that will have the hitch installed this weekend. This is our first 5th wheel so lots to learn.
I am curious, you mentioned a Columbus Owners Group. can you tell me where to locate this so I can check it out?
Hope to pick up the trailer in a week or two. Still finalizing storage location and will have to set up the walk through inspection. We took a quick walk through it this past weekend and on the surface many things are fine. Sofa will have to be replaced as it has a wear mark across one of the cushions. Obviously the inspection will go deeper and we will see what else needs to be fixed before we accept for delivery.
Also ordered a set of Roto-Choks that should be here this week. Anyway if you can post the link to the Columbus Owners Group that would be great.
Tigerbug
2014 F350 Diesel
Columbus 320RS
I have been warned by the moderators and I am not allowed to divulge the whereabouts of the Columbus Owners Group. All I will say is do a search on Google.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #23

SYE
Thanks I'll take a look
Tigerbug
2014 Columbus 320RS
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #24

Tigerbug, This will be our 2nd 5er but we upgraded to our 1st diesel a little more than a year ago. You should have a great combination with your TV & the 320.

If you have a question; do a search on this forum & you will probably find one or more previous posts about the same subject. If you don't find the answer; start a new thread. The people here have been very gracious to me & as I previously stated, I still have a lot to learn.

It is a good idea to take your RV to a large parking lot that is fairly vacant & practice turning, backing up, etc. This will give you a feel for how the 5er tracks in a turn, without the pressure of having to back up in traffic or being near other vehicles. You will find several posts regarding the question of "how different a 5er is, verses a pull behind".

I'm 63 & I hope I still have a lot of firsts left in my life. I'm sure you will be fine. Happy trails!
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #25

goukcats
Yep this forum is excellent for getting educated on this whole experience. I am literally searching and reading every night. I already have the parking lot picked out for "drivers training". My wife wants to drive & pull the trailer as well. We actually considered doing one of the training classes with an instructor. I think I could be alright without t but if it makes her feel that much better I guess, WHY NOT?
By the way I read something today I had not thought of and wondered what you think. When making reservations for camping spots they always ask how long is the 5th wheel. But someone mentioned here that with the trailer having about 3-4 feet over the truck bed and the same amount of truck under the trailer, the actual length of the vehicle when connected is that much shorter x2 or say 6-8" less. Curious s to your thoughts and how this impacts what I should enter when the websites for the camp sites ask how long is the rig?
Regards,
2014 Columbus 320RS
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #26

I would enter the rig length
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #27

Ditto Rig length.
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #28

iceblaze580
That is what I have been doing. I just never thought about the "reduction" in length of the total package when connected for towing until I read it earlier tonight.
THanks
2014 Columbus 320RS
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE STAR TRAVELERS View Post
HELLO ALL, I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everything on the site which has helped confirm our original thoughts. I really appreciate all the great work everyone has done, the ideas, thoughts and how to fixes to the various issues. Everyone has done great!

We just attended the Houston RV Show which had a large variety of 5th wheels to walk through, kick the tires on and then omit from our list of gotta have! We went there to look at other brands, but walked out knowing "Forest River Palomino Columbus 320RS" is by far the best looking and best laid out floor plan for the price that fits our tastes and budget for our 3rd 5th wheel. We can sign on the dotted line and drive away a proud owner of a new one (early next week) with one we saw at the show (which had darn near all the options) or order one with same plus additional options we now are thinking about.

So before signing next week I would prefer to see what everyone on here thinks of the following options that were not on the one from the show. Are any of the following must haves or would prefer to have?
[*]King Bed Serta Trump Series Mattress[*]Fiberglass Rear Cap verses the regular back with bike rack (Cap sure looks better)[*]4 dr Stainless Front Refrigerator vs. single wood panel door (gives up counter space and some cabinet room)[*]TrailAir Roto Flex Pin Box[*]3 slide Toppers[*]Stackable Washer and Dryer[*]Wireless backup camera
Serta bed worth every penny
If you do not want the bike rack on the back then the fiberglass cap is nicer looking, me I prefer the bike rack because we bike ride all the time, so that was important to me.
Roto Flex is good to have if you do not have a MorRyde Pin Box or something like it to counter the chugging etc....
Slide toppers worth every penny!
Cannot comment on washer and dryer as I do not use one
I did not order a backup camera... just a preferance
fivermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #30

That bike rack comes in real handy at times
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivermann View Post
Cannot comment on washer and dryer as I do not use one
What do you do, buy new clothes whenever you need to change?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #32

2013 320 rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONE STAR TRAVELERS View Post
HELLO ALL, I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everything on the site which has helped confirm our original thoughts. I really appreciate all the great work everyone has done, the ideas, thoughts and how to fixes to the various issues. Everyone has done great!

We just attended the Houston RV Show which had a large variety of 5th wheels to walk through, kick the tires on and then omit from our list of gotta have! We went there to look at other brands, but walked out knowing "Forest River Palomino Columbus 320RS" is by far the best looking and best laid out floor plan for the price that fits our tastes and budget for our 3rd 5th wheel. We can sign on the dotted line and drive away a proud owner of a new one (early next week) with one we saw at the show (which had darn near all the options) or order one with same plus additional options we now are thinking about.

So before signing next week I would prefer to see what everyone on here thinks of the following options that were not on the one from the show. Are any of the following must haves or would prefer to have?
[*]King Bed Serta Trump Series Mattress[*]Fiberglass Rear Cap verses the regular back with bike rack (Cap sure looks better)[*]4 dr Stainless Front Refrigerator vs. single wood panel door (gives up counter space and some cabinet room)[*]TrailAir Roto Flex Pin Box[*]3 slide Toppers[*]Stackable Washer and Dryer[*]Wireless backup camera
I would forget the rear cap and go with six way auto level. The fridg depends on your situation, if you are full time then get the side by side, but if not I would get the reg. one. If you have a king bed at home, then I would get the king. Washer dryer also depend on your camping situation. You did not mention the front air conditioner, but I would recommend that too. Also check out the Columbus group on facebook.
bobbyv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #33

X2

Tags
320rs, columbus