Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Columbus 365RL issues with the frame

I have a 2015 Columbus 365RL still under warranty and have found a significant (IMHO) issue with it. I am hoping to find someone with knowledge of Forest River's / Palomino's policy on this issue. Also, what would you think an "acceptable" repair would be?

1st and foremost - We still love our new 5th wheel and want to look forward to many years of travel to include some nearly full time travel for a few years. This new purchase has been frustrating to say the least. We have had many many issues so far.

Here is the 1st one that is causing me to look for some additional guidance.

When you are looking at the water fill panel located in the left side storage compartment you will see a bunch of valves for filling, sanitizing, winterizing etc, etc. Just below that manifold is a poly bucket, basin, catch tub or whatever you want to call it. The black and grey tank valves come through the aforementioned tub. The bottom of the tub has a drain hole approx 3" around and a few inches deep. This configuration causes the factory technician/installer to cut a hole through the floor to allow the drain to pass through. All well and good so far.

I had some significant water leaks from the previously mentioned manifold while camping so I started disassembling that area to allow access to the back side of the manifold. I found the source of the water leaks and corrected them. Since I was this far into dis-assembly I decided to reroute the black tank drain valve cable (it was pinching even after it had been replaced once already). This simply reroute has now solved the issue with the valve. In order to reroute the valve cable the tub had to be removed. Now the true fun part of this post.

When the tub was removed I noticed it took the factory technician a few attempts to get the hole in the floor in the precise spot needed. When I looked inside the hole I found the technician had also cut a part of the aluminum framework. I don't mean a cut line or even cut into it by an inch or two and realized what was happening and stopped. I mean cut out a section of the framework about 6 inches or more long, leaving only the outside wall of the aluminum box framing and then leaving a cut line on the outside wall.

This is my 1st time posting so I hope the pictures uploaded properly.

Any advice, thoughts concerns are welcome.

I am not here to bash Forest River, Palomino or Columbus. I am here to see if anyone else has had this issue and let others know about this. I don't think this would be found by very many people at all. Maybe it's worth taking a look at yours.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manilfold & hole.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	85044   Click image for larger version

Name:	cut frame 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	85045  

Brees26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
That looks terrible... IMHO the factory tech needs to replace the panel and do the job right ..

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
32 Days camping 2015

2013 Dodge 2500 6.7 CTD
2014 Columbus 340RK
Richard Bong State Recreation area October 14-16
Site 225
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
I'd make them fix that right. Dang it!
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Good luck with that....
BAMABOY100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
I have the same rv but 2014- the unit is out of warranty and I had a problem with a soft floor. I called the factory and they pick the unit up and fix no charge. Let me know if you need their contact info-
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote

365, columbus, frame