Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Columbus 36RL towing

Well we finally took delivery of our new 36RL last month, it is everything we had wished for.

I have a question for the more experienced FW people. I have a 2003 Ram quad cab 3500 short bed with the 5.9 diesel. I have done many serious up grades to handle the FW, The one thing I have not done is the transmission, it was rebuilt a year and a half ago with a slightly larger torque converter and a shift kit. The shop that rebuilt it is considered the best in the greater Seattle area. I have just purchased a BD transmission cooler with a fan, that is getting installed this weekend.

I spoke to the shop who rebuilt the tranny and told them what I have the weight of it and where I go mostly. They said I need a heavier torque converter and work on the valve body at a cost of 2000.00. Before I sink anymore money into this I am looking for some input from other people who pull similar FW'S. As of right now the biggest pass I will be going over is on the cascade's at about 5 thousand something feet with a long climb on both sides.

I have only towed it once so far just around my neighbor hood slow easy hills start and stop stuff. The tranny was at 206 (before tranny cooler) when I pulled back into the driveway. I see lots of posts on here with guys pulling heavy FW'S with stock trucks. So I am interested in getting input on weather or not to do any more on the truck.

Thanks folks
2003 Ram 3500 quad cab 5.9 turbo
Smarty JR, exhaust brake, air bags, 20K Pullrite auto slide
Columbus 36RL
fivweight is offline   Reply With Quote

columbus, towing