Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

Columbus 385BH

So I have been trying to get my RV fixed for the last 2.5 months to no avail.. Dealer is Paradise RV in Red Deer. Here are the main issues..keep in mind I am purely venting here to make myself feel better and really don't expect this stuff to get fixed because of the history I have had with my last 5 trailers. That and the fact both the sales rep and warranty person I was dealing with no longer work there and they have no records of my issues....*starting over again... yay!!! I am convinced that this whole industry needs an upgrade in customer service and product engineering to make customers happier going forward.

Maybe the community here can help me fix these issues.

Unit doesn't heat up in the cold and doesn't cool off in the heat plus I can see outside when the slides are out in the bunks, assuming this is a small part of the problem.

#1 - Dealer says that it is my fault I didn't buy the 2nd air conditioner and I am responsible to buy one to fix the problem. I told them it was being permanently parked in a campsite year round with avg temps in the summer being above 30 degrees. I also told them I only have 30 amp service so it wouldn't be able to run it even if I did buy it at the beginning. (are there any tricks to getting 2 air conditioning units on 30 amp service)

#2 - The bunks are freezing. I am told it is a manufacturing problem because the furnace is too far up front in the trailer and I have to use space heaters....We had a mobile company come out and do some fixes but the dampers on the vents don't make a difference. *incoming sarcasm* 1 good thing is I have a sauna in the bathroom when I max the furnace up to get the main area warmed up and this is only when it is 10 celcius outside....

#3 - The holes in the slides I am at a total loss on because any fix that I do will have to be undone when I close the slides up in 3 weeks for the winter...

Any ideas would be helpful..

Freezing and boiling in Alberta....

Thanks,

sgrueber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

2 other things I forgot. I have read other people have the same problem but the TV and sat are mislabeled and I cannot get my satellite to show up on the front or back TV's. I have read some stuff on it being a potential splitter issue so if someone can confirm or deny that would be great.

Secondly why does my DVD movies play through my surround sound but my TV doesn't. must be a simple wiring issue I thought but when I looked at the back of the DVD unit the speaker wires go into that receiver and there is no way to get my satellite receiver to go through it before the TV.

sgrueber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #3

I won't be much help with your dealer issues but I will suggest that for the tv to go through the surround sound you will need to connect the tv sound output to an auxillary input on your stereo unit, then on the tv menu select sound out put to external speakers and on the stereo select the auxillary port you plugged into.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrueber View Post
2 other things I forgot. I have read other people have the same problem but the TV and sat are mislabeled and I cannot get my satellite to show up on the front or back TV's. I have read some stuff on it being a potential splitter issue so if someone can confirm or deny that would be great.
I don't have a Columbus, but since no one else has yet helped you with that, I will try.

Have you ever successfully used the "Cable" connection to your RV? If so, the wires are not swapped. The easy way to tell if they're swapped is to look at the wire colors on both ends of the Sat wire. (Thankfully they normally use different colors for Sat vs Cable.)

Do you have an outlet marked "Sat" at both TVs or only at one of the TVs? If at both, then yes, they used a splitter that will have to be removed or replaced (based on answer to next question).

Are you trying to use Dish or DirecTV, and which receiver model? What sort of dish are you using outside the rig?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also with the Satellite problem, I found out that only 2 0f the 4 connections were wires, I then found out that the factory used the wrong size connectors and they had fallen off behind the wall plates.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 47 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

New Residential Refrigerator

Hi, We are in the process of ordering a 385BH. We were told today that a 18 cu ft residential refrigerator will be replacing the 12 cu ft lp/ac one. Does anyone know the brand / model number of the new fridge?
lexluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #7

Columbus furnaces are not just ducted front and back... each and every vent is fed direct.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluther View Post
Hi, We are in the process of ordering a 385BH. We were told today that a 18 cu ft residential refrigerator will be replacing the 12 cu ft lp/ac one. Does anyone know the brand / model number of the new fridge?
Maytag Mdl # MFC2061KES14

Tags
columbus