Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Columbus 385BH owners

My wife and I are going to look and possibly buy a Columbus 385BH next weekend. We were wondering what features and options that are not standard should we considering ordering. Things like 4 or 6 auto leveling, central vac, etc. If any Columbus 385bh can please give us some advice we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
joshluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Already comes with central vac.

I already sent you a message but forgot to add mentions the Trump mattress. Very nice. We also got the washer/dryer. Haven't used them yet but will next week.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

I would definitely go with the 6 way leveling system. We have the washer and dryer, wife loves it. Since the dryer is 110 she has to run the clothes twice. We added the tray aire glide to the kin pin, trump queen (concerned about not being able to get around the king well. We also added the bike rack. So far I've only used it to transport fishing poles. Plan to use with a show tent when the kids come along in December.

One thing on the washer/dryer. It can quickly fill a significant amount of the gray tank. Empty first.

Still haven't figured out how to get the surround sound to work on the TV or my Blu Ray. Works great on the factory installed CD/DVD/Radio.

Enjoy.
BT Ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

The only way I can see how to do it is with one of these:

Amazon.com: Cables to Go 40018 Coaxial to Optical Digital Audio Converter: Electronics

You will also need a digital coax:
Amazon.com: Cables to Go 29115 6 feet/1.82 Meters Velocity S/PDIF Digital Audio Coax Cable - Blue: Electronics

And a optical cable:
Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable, 6 Feet: Electronics

You may be able to find the items cheaper somewhere else but thats what you need.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Ramblers View Post
Still haven't figured out how to get the surround sound to work on the TV or my Blu Ray. Works great on the factory installed CD/DVD/Radio.

Enjoy.
On our Sabre, we select Audio input 1 or 2 (Can't remember which) on the DVD player. That ports the TV audio through the sound system. Remember to used the DVD player remote for the volume and turn the TV audio down.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Funkyjunk

Thanks. I have the optical video cable. However, the only plug on the Blu Ray is HDMI.

I plan to take the CD/DVD/Radio out to try to track cables.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #7

The Panasonic in my unit has the optical in. I would double check. It was hard to see at first.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Funkyjunk

My TVs are Hisence (installed by Forest River) and the BluRay is a Samsung.) Different manufacturers are different. I will be out again the first of October. Before that time I plan to check the cable situation out.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #9

Mine actually may be a Samsung. TV is a HiSense as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #10

We are having the same issue. Have spent time on the phone with Samsung and also spoke with the Geek Squad. The tv does not work at all thru the surround sound and when we watch a dvd, the only thing we get from the speakers is the background music and no voice.. Any thoughts? Hisense tv and Samsung player.
capnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Just got back from a weeklong trip. Still no solution on the stereo sound issue.

Sorry. Works great with built-in cd/dvd player.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #12

We are experiencing a major cold snap with near freezing temperatures. Therefore, I went to the camper to partially winterize it as we will be using it for a week long trip in two weeks. I drained all the water and then blew out the city water using a screw in fitting. The problem came when I tried to blow out the fresh water tank using the fill insert (plastic tube on the end of a female threaded connector). The plastic tube came off. I tried to retrieve it with my pinky finger without luck. Down into the fresh water tank it went.

Question – how do I get it out?

If I can't get it out, what are the potential problems?

Looking for knowledgeable help.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Trailer Trash

Hisense tv has digital audo out via wired cable
Samsung home theatre dvd system has digital audio in via optical cable.

You need a digital audio to optical audio converter box AND the input output cables.
Funkyjunk explains this a few posts up.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Trailer Trash

I saved this message from a previous post in another thread..............

I am pleased to report that using a digital coaxial audio cable out of the HiSense TV to a coax in to fiber optic out converter and then using a fiber optic out to the Samsung entertainment system will give you surround sound.
You will need to go into the Tv menu select audio-select s/pdif-select
dolby digital and then exit. On the Samsung receiver select source as digital-in. Remove the rca to mini plug for headphones from the Tv.

Try "coax to optical converter" in your favorite search engine. If you like PM me and I will send you a link. The bigger expense may be the cables. You will need one coaxial audio cable and one toslink/optical cable. I also added a surge protector/power strip so that I could plug in the converter wich has a built in power supply, tv and reciever all behind the tv.

I would go the way Redfinafict is going:

Digital coax cable to converter from Hisense "audio out jack"

"Digital Audio Coaxial
SPDIF Coax to Toslink Optical Digital Converter" (Amazon)
Converter needs power, plug available next to the TV, left side.

Using digital audio fiber optic cable, Converter to
Samsung "audio in".
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Ramblers View Post
We are experiencing a major cold snap with near freezing temperatures. Therefore, I went to the camper to partially winterize it as we will be using it for a week long trip in two weeks. I drained all the water and then blew out the city water using a screw in fitting. The problem came when I tried to blow out the fresh water tank using the fill insert (plastic tube on the end of a female threaded connector). The plastic tube came off. I tried to retrieve it with my pinky finger without luck. Down into the fresh water tank it went.

Question – how do I get it out?

If I can't get it out, what are the potential problems?

Looking for knowledgeable help.
How long is the tube? We had a 4 year old girl diligently drop each one of her plastic horses into the black tank of our old Class A (45gallons). Each was too big to fit through the valve, and we quickly found on a molded plastic tank the only way to get into it is to remove it, and cut a hole, then fashion a gasketed entry "door". Which we decided NOT to do for many reasons. We lasted a year with those horses down there, and they never caused a problem.

I don't see how this could possibly cause a big problem in the fresh tank, even if it occludes a drain line it will only do so momentarily. The worst/best case scenario is that it blocks the outlet line to the pump. If that happens you can break that line, remove the pipe, and re-plum flex hose. All pretty easy, and cheap. I’ll look at my system tonight and see if there is a better way.
GypsyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #16

Smile Retrieving Plastic pipe in fresh water tank

Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing (letting it be). The thought crossed my mind today about giving it a "colonoscopy" if I could find a flexible line with a camera and something to grab the tube. (Being over 60 I am acquainted with colonoscopies.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #17

I used the digital audio cable going from surround sound system to satellite feed. It worked great. For air channels we have bought a sound bar!!! I almost like it better than the surround sound for satellite. Will probably get one over the winter for the bedroom!!! Yes I liked it that much!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #18

Sounds like a great opportunity to get another object stuck in the tank. We do have borescope here if you're in the northern MN area . Then at least you can see the tube, outside of a surgical instrument, I'd be surprised if you found a borescope with a claw. Then if you find one, and get the tube out, 60's or not, I'll give you a job right now.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
I used the digital audio cable going from surround sound system to satellite feed. It worked great. For air channels we have bought a sound bar!!! I almost like it better than the surround sound for satellite. Will probably get one over the winter for the bedroom!!! Yes I liked it that much!
where/how did you mount the sound bar? What kind of sound bar is it? Have you moved with the sound bar yet, and if so did it stay put?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyFamily

where/how did you mount the sound bar? What kind of sound bar is it? Have you moved with the sound bar yet, and if so did it stay put?
It is not mounted I store it when we move. It is an RCA from WalMart ---about $60.00. Here is a picture----

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2559382211.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	21373

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote