Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Columbus 385bh satellite question

I had the BELL person come to the trailer today to install a satelite feed. The 385BH has 3 tv's in it and therefore requires 3 receivers. There is only one feed into the trailer from the satellite. He asked me if I knew where the junction box was so he can split the feed to 3 tv's. I could not find it anywhere. The manual did not show it either. I traced the satelite wire into the bottom of the trailer but could not see any box. Has anyone with the 385 installed satelite and got it to work on all 3 tv's?
joshluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

For satellite you can't use a splitter, you would need to have separate lines from the dish to each receiver. Satellite isn't like cable where you can split multiple tv's off of one feed.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
For satellite you can't use a splitter, you would need to have separate lines from the dish to each receiver. Satellite isn't like cable where you can split multiple tv's off of one feed.
Well that's not entirely true.
I have one satellite.
And one receiver.
One cable from dish to receiver.

And I have two tvs.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Well that's not entirely true.
I have one satellite.
And one receiver.
One cable from dish to receiver.

And I have two tvs.
I have 1 dish with 1 cable out which feeds my direct tv splitter which then feeds three different direct tv receivers. Three tv's each on different channel. Dish network has a similar setup.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickdana View Post

I have 1 dish with 1 cable out which feeds my direct tv splitter which then feeds three different direct tv receivers. Three tv's each on different channel. Dish network has a similar setup.
Lots of mis-information in this thread. First of all, I think the Bell Sat guy would know if his system can use splitters.

As Patrickdana says, splitters are fine for DirecTV (and apparently for Bell).

Splitters cannot be used with Dish Network, except in the special case that a "Separator" can be used to provide the two inputs from one cable for a (single) dual receiver.

Sorry that I don't have Columbus-specific info to contribute. My guess would be that what he's looking for is behind the rooftop antennae booster control. This normally has outputs for the other TVs. Hopefully Bell has a way to use the single wire from there for both the Satellite signal and the over-the-air signal from the rooftop antennae to those other TVs.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #6

Had another bell guy come out today to install satellite. Forest River told me that junction box or splitter were behind the TV on the antenna booster plug. He ran 2 wires into the trailer. One in the cable plug and one in the satellite plug. Bypassed the satellite I side the trailer and had it run threw the cable plug. Not sure what he used as far as parts, but no extra wires or nasty mess. I now have 3 tv's with 3 receivers working independently of each other.
joshluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

I have one dish 500 dish 1 receiver tow tvs that can run independently of each other while both are being watched I did not use the forest river dish hookup as it seems these rairly ever work the way they should when I made my hookups I added an extra hookup on the outside so I can watch tv on the deck if I want I love watching football outside
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #8

You can use a splitter with Dish....I am using one right now. They have to be made for satellites. I use 1 cable from my Dish 1000.2 to my 5ver.....then it is connected to a splitter with one cable to the bedroom and one to the living room. Use 1 Dish receiver which feeds both tv's independitly.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshluke View Post
Had another bell guy come out today to install satellite. Forest River told me that junction box or splitter were behind the TV on the antenna booster plug. He ran 2 wires into the trailer. One in the cable plug and one in the satellite plug. Bypassed the satellite I side the trailer and had it run threw the cable plug. Not sure what he used as far as parts, but no extra wires or nasty mess. I now have 3 tv's with 3 receivers working independently of each other.
Good deal! Glad he got it working for you, and thanks for reporting back. It sounds like he "messed up" your ability to use "Park Cable" but perhaps that's not something you'll ever need to do.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
You can use a splitter with Dish....I am using one right now. They have to be made for satellites. I use 1 cable from my Dish 1000.2 to my 5ver.....then it is connected to a splitter with one cable to the bedroom and one to the living room. Use 1 Dish receiver which feeds both tv's independitly.
That is incorrect. What you have is a "separator". On Dish, you can only do that to drive a single receiver, and at best you have one HD TV and one standard-definition TV. A "splitter" would allow you to drive more than one receiver off of the same wire. You don't have that.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
It's called a diplexer. Looks like a splitter but isn't. The diplexer allows2 tv's to run off a dual tuner receiver, TV 1 and TV 2, TV 1 is hd with a 622, 722 or 922 receiver, and TV 2 is standard def.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

I just bought a Tailgater to use with my Dish subscription. In the utilities box outside there is a satellite and a cable coaxial connection; however, inside the rig near the main TV there is an antennae and one other connection. I don't get it. Still loving my RS 320. Thanks.
cdrdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #13

The labeling is awful. The correct satellite connection behind the living room TV is next to the ant/ cable F connector. The separate satellite connector is a direction connection to the bedroom TV. Us thus if you have a dual feed sat antenna to a second Rx in the bedroom.
seahawk986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, satellite