Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #161
tlc

Oh forgot to mention......slide out in bedroom also not working also. We sure did create a lot of problems but not disconnecting battery for 2 weeks. I hope everyone pays attention to this and does not make this very serious mistake.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #162
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Add a bag of ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Ramblers View Post
Tank issues: The black still reads 2/3 after draining and flushing, spraying the inside of the tank with the grey wand connection on a hose. We have been using the Geo Method. On the trip home I plan to have 1/3 tank of water and a heavy mixture of liquid detergent and water softener. Hopefully that will clear the sensors. I will do this in both Black 1 & 2. With a 6 hour drive to the next overnight stop we should have adequate time to slosh around and clean the sensors. I hope.
I've found that we have VERY GOOD luck getting the black water to read zero simply by hooking up the black water flush and let it run (with the drain valve open) for 15 minutes or so while we're packing up. In the past with our other fiver - we've also added a bag of ice down the toilet just as we're heading out with the detergent and water softener. Sometime it can be just a piece of tissue stuck to a sensor that is giving a false reading and the ice can knock that off in transit.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 118 So Far
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #163
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
Well you created your own light problem and battery problem by not using the battery disconnect . Proper use and a good walk thru of operation is always a plus
Chris
Wow Chris...in my opinion this is TOTALLY out of line. If you honestly believe not using a battery disconnect for two weeks can cause ANY of these problems (much less ALL of them), then we all have a problem.

First, it sounds to me like there is a bad switch that's allowing the lights to stay on. Second, those dimming lights in the 320RS I believe are LED aren't they - which should be very low drain.

And third...I'm not sure you should be diagnosing "off the cuff" without asking a few more questions.

We're all in this together and I think this sort of snap judgment isn't beneficial to anyone.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 118 So Far
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #164
tlc

rjshiflet.....Thanks for the support. I really appreciate that. I try not to sound negative on this forum because we really do love our Columbus and are looking forward to many years of enjoyment with our grandchildren. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #165
tlc

Re: Columbus 320 RS
We are being told that since the battery got so low that it blew the boards in the frig and ACs. The tech says that we have to keep it plugged in at all times, even when in storage with everything off. Is this true? I thought as long as we left the battery disconnected (which we failed to do) that we would not have to do that. The tech says we have to keep it plugged in to electricity at ALL TIMES. Our storage building is not wired for electricity. We have never heard of this. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #166
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
We are being told that since the battery got so low that it blew the boards in the frig and ACs. The tech says that we have to keep it plugged in at all times, even when in storage with everything off. Is this true? I thought as long as we left the battery disconnected (which we failed to do) that we would not have to do that. The tech says we have to keep it plugged in to electricity at ALL TIMES. Our storage building is not wired for electricity. We have never heard of this. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
I think there's some leg pulling going on here.
I've never heard of such nonsense.
If that was true then are they supplying the massive cord required whilst driving?

What gauge would that have to be to travel 2 or 3 hundred miles?

Whose wrapping it up when you get back ?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #167
tlc

Yeah, that is kinda what we were thinking. Anyway, it sounds like we have major problems and we probably won't be going anywhere next week.....I really dread explaining it to my 8 year old granddaughter. Sorry for the whining but it is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help and info.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #168
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
Yeah, that is kinda what we were thinking. Anyway, it sounds like we have major problems and we probably won't be going anywhere next week.....I really dread explaining it to my 8 year old granddaughter. Sorry for the whining but it is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help and info.
Could you give a more detailed description of what the tech was referring to and trying to accomplish by saying it needed to be plugged in 24/7 ?
And how not plugging it in made a difference .
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #169
tlc

In a round-about way, he said that the Columbus 320RS was such a "high tech unit" that it had to be plugged in all the time to keep the battery from going down. My husband then ask what if we turn the battery to disconnect......he said it did not matter...it had to be plugged in all the time to keep the battery up. Hubby then told him there would be nothing on in the camper....again he said did not matter, must be plugged in. My husband was there when the tech was checking it out so I am getting second hand info, but this is the way he understood it also. I am so confused by now....everything we thought we knew about RVs just went out the window. We are not "professional RV campers" by no means but have been doing for a few years. No problems like this with out Keystone Sprinter. What is the possibility of lightning hitting it (just a thought) and blowing all this?...can't remember any storms in the last couple weeks but who knows? Keep in mind nothing was on when we parked the camper but we did leave battery on.....charged battery later and found that lights inside would not go off even though switch was off....then we plugged in and found all the other problems.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #170
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Then the dealer should have included that tidbit of information in EVERY one of our training sessions, and I would think that if this were true Forest River is liable for not putting HUGE signs with the trailers and very specific wording with all of the training manuals.

Somebody is either trying to cover their backside - or out-and-out lying, and I hate to think Forest River employees or their dealers would be guilty of either.

Robert & Estha Shiflet

Tags
5th wheel