Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #81
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggy View Post
Factory sent a Tec from a ForestRiver dealer near our site.He replaced all of the cable ends and i repeat all,fixed electrical problem,neutral and ground wire was reversed on one of the couplers and he allso fixed black waterflush line ,it was reversed at the backflow preventer.All is good but still need the cieling strips fixed though
We had a service tech come to our home and replace all the cable ends. But, we wound up taking it in for a week for a list of other issues (mostly very minor) - including the reversed backflow valve which made the black tank flush inoperative.

And - as has been said here before, our shower has the plastic wiper-type pieces on the doors and we've never had ANY water escape during a shower.

I must say - both Forest River and our dealer (FunTown RV in Cleburne, Texas) have been 110% cooperative each step of the way.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #82

We have the 385 out for her maiden voyage. Finally got the main TV to play a video and a cd. Got the bunkhouse TV to play from a DVD player. HOWEVER, we CANNOT get any of the TVs to pick up a TV signal. The bedroom unit picked up a strong signal via the antennae at the dealership but not where we are this weekend. They have Cable. Hooked up to cable. NO SIGNAL on any TV. Changed cables. Changed from the port near the water to the port where the radio is – no signal. I have purchased a Dish. I will attempt to hook it up tomorrow.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Any solutions?

Thanks.
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #83

Question regarding HVAC.

Finally got some heat on this morning (58° inside). I have the system set to Auto. The fan is Auto. It is warming up, but the unit is extremely load – roaring. Anyway to quiet it down. Also, no heat is coming out of the heat vent in the bathroom nor the bunkhouse. Does the system need to be on Heat for this to work?

Fantastik Vent Fan. Wife fried bacon this am. Smoke alarm went off constantly even though she had the stove vent running. Turned the Fantastik Vent Fan on to vent the smoke. Couldn't get it shut off. Finally had to pull the fuse. Not a good solution. I'm a tall guy and I'm dragging a step stool around. Any solutions on the Vent Fan shut off?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #84

Remove the antenna power booster plate and make sure you have a white coax cable connected to the antenna terminal. If not, you should be able to see it inside the wall. Connect it to the terminal and the antenna should work. Check the connector end on the coax and make sure it's OK.
If you want heat, put the thermostat on HEAT. I've found AUTO works for the AC, but still put AC on the thermostat.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #85

Forgot to tell you to unlock the vent flap on the outside, otherwise, the vent fan is useless.
Prodigy
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #86

Thanks. I will try that when we get the unit back. Having another cover put over one of the fans as well as a couple of other things. I am also having an air lift bag added to my F250 as the camper lowers the bed a bit more than I like.

Wife and I enjoyed the first trip.

Babysitting grandchildren this weekend so it will be a couple of weeks before we go again.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggy
Factory sent a Tec from a ForestRiver dealer near our site.He replaced all of the cable ends and i repeat all,fixed electrical problem,neutral and ground wire was reversed on one of the couplers and he allso fixed black waterflush line ,it was reversed at the backflow preventer.All is good but still need the cieling strips fixed though
Our tv reception comes and goes as well especially when different light are turned on. Did u call dealer or factory. I need the rep too!!! I already switched the back flow valve myself for black tank flush. They should pay me for warranty work
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmanrn View Post
Our tv reception comes and goes as well especially when different light are turned on. Did u call dealer or factory. I need the rep too!!! I already switched the back flow valve myself for black tank flush. They should pay me for warranty work
The factory warrenty guy is Bryan Randle 574-821-1487 ,he works right at the Columbus Factory.
dunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #89

Quote:
I already switched the back flow valve
I haven't tried flushing the black tank, yet. What's involved in switching the valve around?
Might try it this weekend while we're at a KOA.
Prodigy
Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress
I haven't tried flushing the black tank, yet. What's involved in switching the valve around?
Might try it this weekend while we're at a KOA.
I have pictures of how to switch the flow if needed
rugmanrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #91

I am lost on the black valve thing.......... must have DH read this..........

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #92

Question regarding hitch weight on 385.

Mine has a washer and dryer in the mbr as well as an Onan Generator in the front bay. I would like to know what my approximate hitch weight is as I know it is greater than the standard. Anyone have any ideas?

This is probably a question for Chris Columbus.

I have added air lifts with a controller in the cab of my truck. I have only towed it from the installer to storage since the installation so I do not have a good handle on the net effect.

Hope to go back out next week. Extended trips scheduled for October, November and December. Still need to look at September. Already planning a trip to the beach for August. I want to wait until all the kids are back in school.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #93

I think you can probably get the answer from Andy Downton <adownton@forestriverinc.com>. That's where I have been gettign my answers from.
rmason8092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #94

Traded Windjammer

Found out after looking a columbus won't fit where we park our R V so we traded our Winjammer for a 34 ft. Silverback & it just fits
Elmer Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #95

I just joined the forum. We've had our Columbus 320RS since February 2012 and have been out it it about 4 times. After the first trip I had a pretty long punch list for my dealer to go through. The worst problem was the living/dining slide malfunctioned midway through the first trip. It must have been misaligned from the factory because the square bar at the back end twisted like a pretzel causing the front end not to go all the way in. Not a pretty sight. Only with the help of my buddy who was camping with us in his motorhome were we able to force the slide in. The dealer had to replace the square bar (tube) with a heavier weight one and adjust the slide so both sides would come in aligned. Haven't had any more problems with that.
Other problems were fairly small, but there were about 10 items I had to get them to fix. This points to shotty work at the factory as well as a quality control failure because they should have caught some of these things, such as the front leveling jack switch being wired backwards and one of the outside utility lights being wired incorrectly.

Overall, we love our Columbus. It is an impressive trailer to have so many high end features for the price.

Now I have a couple of questions.
1. Is anyone having trouble getting the outside radio to work properly?
2. Are the round ceiling registers just for the furnace? I can't get any A/C air out of them.
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #96

I had the same problem with TV sound to audio system. The manuals say you should be able to just plug a HDMI cable from the ARC HDMI port of the TV to the HDMI input port on the DVD/audio system. I can't get any sound that way, so I just plugged a pair of RCA cables into the left and right channel RCA jacks between the TV and audio system.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #97

I saw another post about the 320RS bedroom door. I too had problems there. For one thing, I don't understand why the factory installed such a heavy door. I first thought it was a solid core door until I had to re-attach the snap for the retaining strap because the screw had wallowed out it's hole and was about to come out. Of course, if that thing comes loose, as it did once with me, the door is so heavy that it will break at least one of the roller guides. I also had a problem with the living room TV mounting bracket being attached to the bottom of the upper cabinet with one screw into the cabinet style, but the second screw just into the thin plywood bottom of the upper cabinet. Almost lost my TV. Since this was on my earlier mentioned punch list, my dealer secured it with a hollow-wall anchor and that worked fine.

The factory should take note and start using hollow-wall anchors for attaching things to thin wallboard, etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #98

The round outlets should be for the AC. Check to see if the outlet vent on the AC unit is open, If it is the air will be blowing down from the AC and you won't feel much coming from the round outlets. Slide the outlet vent on the AC to the closed position. This should redirect air through the round outlets.
I found the radio in the basement to be very temperamental but if I hold the button down, it works fine.
Good luck.
Prodigy
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #99

Got back from #3 trip with our Columbus 320RS and had to call up Bryan the warranty guy today.....one pendant light over the table must have come unsecured while traveling home, frayed the wire and must have swung & hit the ceiling leaving us with glass to clean up when we opened up the door to unload. I sent an email w/pictures to Bryan & followed up with a voice mail. He's shipping out a replacement fixture tomorrow. Service work is still pending on the slide - a white plastic edge piece under the carpet near the stove was incorrectly attached -the dealership has a new one on order, so we grab the rv to camp this weekend and see that the dealership made matters worse on the outside of the TV slide with screws popping out all over. We managed to get the slide back in, but have a week trip planned soon.....need to get this taken care of.
Did anyone else notice in the 2012 broucher that the bathroom picture shows the bottom rail for the shower doors on backwards so the water flows out on the floor??? I wished I had seen that b4 we ordered & would have made mention to it at that point in time...ours is corrected now tho. Happy camping my friends!!
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #100
Columbus 302 rs

Good info to know as we await the arrival of our Columbus 320RS, plus being first timers. I will have my list of things to check at the time we pick it up based on what I'm reading here.
Thanks all!
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel