Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
Ours only sat to have the body work done.When we had the lose connection we brought it up to our dealer and we were seen right then and there. And oh by the way...... we went over a few other things (I have been full of questions)... Right now I have an appt for warranty work when I know that work will keep us from camping. We will drop it off to the dealer on a Saturday and pick it up the following Saturday. Your dealer should work with you. And we have very little warranty work to be done!
I really like my dealer and I'm sure they will do what's best for me. I just don't understand how so many are coming out of the factory with the exact same issues.
I know the AC is a dometic issue but why aren't they fixing the issue in the factory if they know they are going to have to pay they dealer to fix it later?
They hope the customer just "deals with it".
The coax is another issue. There are two ways to terminate the connections: the right way and the wrong way. It's very easy to crimp these connections, it's honestly easier but may cost $.03 more per connection. How much does it take to pay service tech to repair? A lot more.
I've had my cedar creek for over a year and have never taken it in for service. I have had a few issues that I was able to fix myself so I'm not too worried about that. Maybe some of the issues with the Columbus can be easily fixed but I'm not buying a "fixer upper". I'm buying a new $70k RV.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by plein air artist View Post
I understand. Our dealer is a 3 hour drive both ways through heavy traffic. Our new unit is at the dealer to resolve issues with the Antennae, cable and Satellite as well as other issues. The AC is so loud that we can't carry on a conversation. We were told that its the way the unit is. It is loud. I am not happy with that response. However, I have no other option. I too have talked up the noise issue on this forum and I have not read anything that tells me anything other than that is the way the unit is. Not happy. But…
Who told you "that's the way it is"? The dealer or the manufacturer?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #123

Our unit has been at the dealer for a week and I expect them to have it another week. I am not happy with their response to date. We'll see. The AC unit that I referred to specifically is the one in the living area. However, the bedroom unit is just as loud. It just would not work on 30 amp. Our next trip will be to a KOA with 50 amp and full hook ups.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding the resolution to the load AC in your unit.
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #124

Bedroom AC

My dealer was told by the factory to contact Dometic directly. He did and was told they would send him the kit. Fortunately for me, he rejected that and reminded them of how many of their units he promotes and sells. Dometic reluctantly agreed to send him a new AC. I picked it up this weekend and cannot begin to tell you the sound difference...night and day.

I would be very leary of the "kit". On an earlier post, there was a reference to a "bad batch of AC's that got out of the Dometic factory in March of 2012". I am sure that a compelete recall of all units would be very expensive for them. They are likely hoping the "kit" will fix it, or better yet, you all just go away.

Reminder, our loud unit blew out completely on our third night of camping, filling the trailer with mist and freon. The condensor never worked after that. Think of the damage that the vibration that is causing noise has or is doing to your condensor?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk
You know it seems like everyone is having the same issues (Front AC, Basement radio, slides, coax connections, etc.) and it seems like nothing is being done at the factory to resolve these issues (Pre-delivery). The first person on the forum to get one has the same issues as the last.
I have one on order and I'm tempted to pull the plug on the deal. If they can't fix known issues as simple as these at the factory, I can't imagine the build quality of the rest of the camper.
Everyone seems to think it's no big deal to keep taking the camper to the dealer to have repairs done. It takes me over 3 hours every time I have to take my camper in to my closest dealer (Not including fuel costs) and honestly that's not acceptable to me.
I feel like with everything you do there might be some issues. Nothing comes with a guarantee. We love our Columbus 320 RS. If you have a great dealership like we do they will help you to get all issues resolved. Palomino has been great at standing behind their product. Pulling the plug on your deal will keep you from missing out on a great camper! Some of the things that go wrong can be frustrating but an easy fix. Use it and get to know the camper. None of the issues anyone has listed have been major things. Most of the time it is either the T.V./radio reception problem to the bathroom track installation. I have had a few issues but none that have kept us from enjoying all our trips. This is like buying a house. How many times have you bought a house and have had issues? If you talk to any dealer Palomino put a lot of thought into designing this camper. It is a new product so there will be some issues to be worked out. Christopher Columbus does look at this forum and he does see the problems and takes them back to make changes. Where else does that happen?
I hope you still get your Columbus and join the rest of us in Camping in a truly great RV.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #126
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyJunk View Post
I've had my cedar creek for over a year and have never taken it in for service. I have had a few issues that I was able to fix myself so I'm not too worried about that. Maybe some of the issues with the Columbus can be easily fixed but I'm not buying a "fixer upper". I'm buying a new $70k RV.
Having just spent our 31st night in our Columbus 320RS...all I can do is plead with you not to pull the plug. I think you'd be sorry. We've had some issues and the AC is about to be replaced by DOMETIC - it's a vendor problem, not a Forest River or Palomino or Columbus or dealer issue.

We've had a handful of minor issues, but the dealer has been very quick and thorough to fix them. I totally agree on "not buying a fixer-upper" and one time I got a bit testy with Forest River when they told me concerning the coaxial issue "You need to replace them with the crimp-style".

I pretty much jumped down their throat and said "No...YOU need to replace them and you need to get it done before I leave on vacation in 3 days." The next day a tech was out and spent 5 hours or so replacing every connection.

Other than that...we've had no more than the expected adjustments, tweaks and fixes.

And...we're having fun - spending a minimum of 7 days each month in our Columbus. Add that to other weekend trips, etc. and we're spending more than 1/4 or our lives in the 320RS.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #127

I am currently sitting in my Columbus.... In a campground with one other RV..... Absolutely loving this time!!!! It was 104* yesterday ( no shade at my site) and the a/c' s kept it nice in here!!! Yesterday, I put room darkening curtains in the bedroom slept in like a teenager!!!!! These theater seats are wonderful!!! Looking around rig now I don't see anything I would change!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #128

We took our unit back to our dealer after our last trip. Major issue –*AC Units. After some discussion they are replacing both of our AC units. I hope to get it back next week.

This is a Dometic problem. Not a Forest River problem. The TV issues are Forest River. (My opinion.) All are being addressed.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #129
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by plein air artist
We took our unit back to our dealer after our last trip. Major issue –*AC Units. After some discussion they are replacing both of our AC units. I hope to get it back next week.

This is a Dometic problem. Not a Forest River problem. The TV issues are Forest River. (My opinion.) All are being addressed.
What is the issue with a/c's?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

What is the issue with a/c's?
They are very noisy and have a vibration........ The bedroom one is much louder than I think it should be

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #131
Factory Rep

TV , stereo , issues on early units have been addressed long ago. A/C issues would apply to units that may have been produced from Dec 2011. To May 2012. Not sure on those dates.
Dometic has been very good about handling their A/C issues
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #132

We lost the fan on our noisy bedroom a/c. Our dealer is telling us that there is a 2 to 3 week backorder on the new Dometic a/c. We are starting week 4 with our Columbus at our dealer waiting for replacement a/c from Dometic and to address a short laundry list of other items. Christopher Columbus, what does your source with Dometic say about backorders? I've not heard anyone else mention it.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #133
Factory Rep

I will check into this Thursday 8/2. I am not the warranty or parts guy , but I can check to see what's up.
Chris
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #134

Both AC units are so loud that you cannot carry on a conversation with them on and the TV must be loud to here it over the AC. There have been other problems reported on this forum.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #135

Chris, we have had TV problems. The TV does not work with the Antennae, Cable nor Satellite. Had to bring the dish in through a window and hook up directly to the TV. When I did this, it worked. However, I had to unplug one cable to get any sound. Audio cable I think. We have also gotten poor to no Radio reception as well as the AC issues.

Our unit has been at the dealer now for 3 weeks. AC units are on the way. I hope that they have been able to resolve the other issues.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #136

AC's

Dometic said two weeks on our front AC replacement, and had it arrived at the dealer within the two weeks. The dealer request would have been 3-4 weeks ago.

I have been monitoring the AC issues and to my knowledge, this post is the first notice of noisy living room AC issues. Everything I read only referenced bedroom/low profile unit AC problems.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #137
Wish I was camping

We have had the "kit" installed on both front and back ACs on our 385bh and they are still noisy. You can hear the pump viborating the roof.

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually
B&W Companion hitch
fice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #138

We have the sme problem with our tv when lights are turned on. Our dealer is trying to tell us that the channel signals are weak. Is anyone having problems with the fridge not staying at rifht temperature and having to set it at coldest setting. Also the black water seeping through. I find the AC in the livingroom area very loud. We have to turn the tv volume up about half way to hear it.
f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #139

We were told by our dealer that the "kit" would resolve the noise issues. I wondered if that would be true. Glad to see the post from "fice" that the "kit" did not resolve the issue.
We have never tried using the TVs without the lights. However, I don't believe that we should have to turn off the lights to be able to watch TV. Hopefully our TV problems are being addressed.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #140
Factory Rep

I've been told if the kit doesn't resolve the a/c problem then Dometic will replace
Chris

Tags
5th wheel