Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #141
tlc

We have the Columbus 320RS. Our low profile AC in bedroom is very loud....it even vibrates in the bathroom. Also, the AC in living area is loud ....we have to turn TV volume all the way up in order to hear the TV. I have only skimmed this thread so this may have been addressed previously. Do you think we need a "kit" or do we need to replace ACs? Otherwise, absolutely love the camper. Had a few minor issues but all have been taken care of. One more question.....we have been told we need a fiber optic cable in order for the TV to have surround sound. We have surround sound through DVD. Is this true? Thanks for your help!
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #142

Just come back from dealer and they are looking into our problems. Nice to have a good dealership behind you.
f350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
We have the Columbus 320RS. Our low profile AC in bedroom is very loud....it even vibrates in the bathroom. Also, the AC in living area is loud ....we have to turn TV volume all the way up in order to hear the TV. I have only skimmed this thread so this may have been addressed previously. Do you think we need a "kit" or do we need to replace ACs? Otherwise, absolutely love the camper. Had a few minor issues but all have been taken care of. One more question.....we have been told we need a fiber optic cable in order for the TV to have surround sound. We have surround sound through DVD. Is this true? Thanks for your help!
If you want to have your tv's cable or OTA signal in digital surround sound you will need a fiber optic cable from tv optical out to receiver optical in.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
TV , stereo , issues on early units have been addressed long ago. A/C issues would apply to units that may have been produced from Dec 2011. To May 2012. Not sure on those dates.
Dometic has been very good about handling their A/C issues
Chris
Chris, My dealer has just informed me that the replacement for our bedroom a/c was received and installed. They tell me that it was louder than the old unit.Dometic's answer "send grommet set". Could they have sent a unit from the bad period of production? How do you tell the production dates?
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #145

We have a 385 and I'm glad to see that several have reported positive results from the replacement of their air conditioners. We too have had problems and are waiting to hear about the replacement of both of our AC units.

Looking forward to a cooler and quieter camping experience on our next trip.

Since my wife still works, we presently areonly taking a trip a month with most being long weekends.
BT Ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
YES: It is true that you need a audio fiber optic cable to make the TV work on surround sound...I think I was the first to get it figured out, so when you get your cable and if you have trouble figuring out how to get it to work, give me a shout and I'l let ya know.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #147
Columbus 302 rs

Does the Second year Forest River Warranty that I've been reading about on other parts of this forum apply to the Columbus products?

The form I saw on line to download didn't list the Columbus so I don't know if it's an old form or the 2nd year extended warranty isn't offered.

Thanks
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #148

I sure hope so as I paid for the 2nd year for my 385. I don't recall seeing anything that would indicate that my unit would not be covered.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #149
"On the road again"

I feel certain you're covered - I bought one, and I don't think Forest River would sell an extra year warranty if it didn't cover the specific unit we had purchased. They've been very slow to update their website on Columbus products and I'm sure not updating the online form was just one of those things they haven't gotten around to yet.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #150
Factory Rep

If you purchased the Forest Ricer 2 nd yr warranty. Your Good. It Covers Columbus
Thanks
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #151

Do you get any paperwork back after you purchase it?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #152
Columbus 302 rs

Thanks for the info everyone.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #153
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Couple View Post
Do you get any paperwork back after you purchase it?
Yes - I got a photocopy of my debit card receipt, plus another sheet with the title "Forest River, Inc. Additional 12-Month Optional Protection Plan For Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels".

That sheet has my name and address, plus the unit serial number...dealer, dealer address, etc. At the bottom it's signed by Forest River with the beginning and ending dates.

Here's a link to a blank version of the paperwork you'll get.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #154

Hello, this forum has been a great resource. I'm very close to finally ordering a Columbus 320RS after first seeing it at the RV show last Jan.

I'm glad to hear that people are happy with the unit and i look forward to a new camper ! Thanks
drinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #155
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkh20
Hello, this forum has been a great resource. I'm very close to finally ordering a Columbus 320RS after first seeing it at the RV show last Jan.

I'm glad to hear that people are happy with the unit and i look forward to a new camper ! Thanks
Welcome to the forum !
Good luck on your pending purchase
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet

Yes - I got a photocopy of my debit card receipt, plus another sheet with the title "Forest River, Inc. Additional 12-Month Optional Protection Plan For Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels".

That sheet has my name and address, plus the unit serial number...dealer, dealer address, etc. At the bottom it's signed by Forest River with the beginning and ending dates.

Here's a link to a blank version of the paperwork you'll get.
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #157
tlc

Having problems with lights inside Columbus 320RS. The ones that work with dimmer switch will not go off if battery is on. The light switch is in off position but lights stay on and in fact burnt some out already. We took to shop for other problems (not lights)....those problems were repaired.....parked for a couple weeks....found a dead battery....recharged battery and noticed when we hooked battery up the lights were on and would not turn off so we assume that we did not notice the lights burning the entire time it was parked. Getting really tired of traveling to shop (long drive) for repairs.....have been three times. It seems like every time we start to go camping, we have more problems. I could list the numerous problems that we have had to deal with, but I won't bore you. We have always heard that Forest River is one of the best companies.....I am beginning to have my doubts. I fell in love with the Columbus and I am trying my best to remain that way, but it is VERY, VERY HARD!!! Has anyone else had these light problems? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #158

I can fully appreciate the long drive to a dealer. Mine is 3 hours away. The dealer had my unit for a full month. The good news is they cleared my punch list except for the sensors on the tanks. Replaced both AC units.

Tank issues: The black still reads 2/3 after draining and flushing, spraying the inside of the tank with the grey wand connection on a hose. We have been using the Geo Method. On the trip home I plan to have 1/3 tank of water and a heavy mixture of liquid detergent and water softener. Hopefully that will clear the sensors. I will do this in both Black 1 & 2. With a 6 hour drive to the next overnight stop we should have adequate time to slosh around and clean the sensors. I hope.

Only problem this trip is I haven't painted yet. That's on the list today. Rain storms permitting.

Happy travels.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #159
Factory Rep

Well you created your own light problem and battery problem by not using the battery disconnect . Proper use and a good walk thru of operation is always a plus
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #160
tlc

So Christopher Columbus....you are telling me that by not turning the battery switch off, we created the light problem. Wow Really??? We now have it hooked up to electricity and we just found out that the AC will not power up, the Frig will not come on and the outside radio will not come on. We did do a walk through at the dealer after other repairs were done which were leaky windows, shower door leak, ceiling trim buckling, black tank flush problem and other problems that had absolutely nothing to do with electrical. Of course, the dealer did not turn on AC or outside radio or lights, during the walk thru because that was not in the list of repairs. Sorry if I sound a little frustrated but getting ready to go camping on Monday, Aug 27 but definitely can't go without AC or Frig. Just wondering where in the world do we go from here.. Could this possibly be an easy fix?? It sure doesn't sound like it to me.

Tags
5th wheel