Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #161
tlc

Oh forgot to mention......slide out in bedroom also not working also. We sure did create a lot of problems but not disconnecting battery for 2 weeks. I hope everyone pays attention to this and does not make this very serious mistake.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #162
"On the road again"

Add a bag of ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Ramblers View Post
Tank issues: The black still reads 2/3 after draining and flushing, spraying the inside of the tank with the grey wand connection on a hose. We have been using the Geo Method. On the trip home I plan to have 1/3 tank of water and a heavy mixture of liquid detergent and water softener. Hopefully that will clear the sensors. I will do this in both Black 1 & 2. With a 6 hour drive to the next overnight stop we should have adequate time to slosh around and clean the sensors. I hope.
I've found that we have VERY GOOD luck getting the black water to read zero simply by hooking up the black water flush and let it run (with the drain valve open) for 15 minutes or so while we're packing up. In the past with our other fiver - we've also added a bag of ice down the toilet just as we're heading out with the detergent and water softener. Sometime it can be just a piece of tissue stuck to a sensor that is giving a false reading and the ice can knock that off in transit.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #163
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
Well you created your own light problem and battery problem by not using the battery disconnect . Proper use and a good walk thru of operation is always a plus
Chris
Wow Chris...in my opinion this is TOTALLY out of line. If you honestly believe not using a battery disconnect for two weeks can cause ANY of these problems (much less ALL of them), then we all have a problem.

First, it sounds to me like there is a bad switch that's allowing the lights to stay on. Second, those dimming lights in the 320RS I believe are LED aren't they - which should be very low drain.

And third...I'm not sure you should be diagnosing "off the cuff" without asking a few more questions.

We're all in this together and I think this sort of snap judgment isn't beneficial to anyone.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #164
tlc

rjshiflet.....Thanks for the support. I really appreciate that. I try not to sound negative on this forum because we really do love our Columbus and are looking forward to many years of enjoyment with our grandchildren. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #165
tlc

Re: Columbus 320 RS
We are being told that since the battery got so low that it blew the boards in the frig and ACs. The tech says that we have to keep it plugged in at all times, even when in storage with everything off. Is this true? I thought as long as we left the battery disconnected (which we failed to do) that we would not have to do that. The tech says we have to keep it plugged in to electricity at ALL TIMES. Our storage building is not wired for electricity. We have never heard of this. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #166
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
We are being told that since the battery got so low that it blew the boards in the frig and ACs. The tech says that we have to keep it plugged in at all times, even when in storage with everything off. Is this true? I thought as long as we left the battery disconnected (which we failed to do) that we would not have to do that. The tech says we have to keep it plugged in to electricity at ALL TIMES. Our storage building is not wired for electricity. We have never heard of this. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
I think there's some leg pulling going on here.
I've never heard of such nonsense.
If that was true then are they supplying the massive cord required whilst driving?

What gauge would that have to be to travel 2 or 3 hundred miles?

Whose wrapping it up when you get back ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #167
tlc

Yeah, that is kinda what we were thinking. Anyway, it sounds like we have major problems and we probably won't be going anywhere next week.....I really dread explaining it to my 8 year old granddaughter. Sorry for the whining but it is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help and info.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #168
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc
Yeah, that is kinda what we were thinking. Anyway, it sounds like we have major problems and we probably won't be going anywhere next week.....I really dread explaining it to my 8 year old granddaughter. Sorry for the whining but it is very frustrating. Thanks for all the help and info.
Could you give a more detailed description of what the tech was referring to and trying to accomplish by saying it needed to be plugged in 24/7 ?
And how not plugging it in made a difference .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #169
tlc

In a round-about way, he said that the Columbus 320RS was such a "high tech unit" that it had to be plugged in all the time to keep the battery from going down. My husband then ask what if we turn the battery to disconnect......he said it did not matter...it had to be plugged in all the time to keep the battery up. Hubby then told him there would be nothing on in the camper....again he said did not matter, must be plugged in. My husband was there when the tech was checking it out so I am getting second hand info, but this is the way he understood it also. I am so confused by now....everything we thought we knew about RVs just went out the window. We are not "professional RV campers" by no means but have been doing for a few years. No problems like this with out Keystone Sprinter. What is the possibility of lightning hitting it (just a thought) and blowing all this?...can't remember any storms in the last couple weeks but who knows? Keep in mind nothing was on when we parked the camper but we did leave battery on.....charged battery later and found that lights inside would not go off even though switch was off....then we plugged in and found all the other problems.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #170
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Then the dealer should have included that tidbit of information in EVERY one of our training sessions, and I would think that if this were true Forest River is liable for not putting HUGE signs with the trailers and very specific wording with all of the training manuals.

Somebody is either trying to cover their backside - or out-and-out lying, and I hate to think Forest River employees or their dealers would be guilty of either.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #171
tlc

Sorry for all the long posts....I guess I sound a little desperate.....just seeking knowledge and forum expertise.... Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #172

I am quite disappointed in the emotion that CC is displaying over this electrical issue, as I have enjoyed having expert advice on what is a very new RV, to this point. As was stated earlier, we are consumers and new to the unit; and, we certainly do not need to be treated as idiots.

It would seem that FR is either not training the dealers on some of the more technical features the Columbus has, or the dealers are not conveying all the information they should be during the walk thru.

I no for a fact that my walk thru was done fairly quick on 320RS, and with no discussion over any possible electrical issues that may arise from not disconnecting the battery. I have been RV camping for more than ten years in three different units, and have never disconnected the battery(s) during the camping season. I have, and still will, disconnect the battery at the end of the season, when the unit will be in storage for a long period of time.

To summarize, I believe that CC has had diarrhea of the fingertips, and if not careful, will severely compromise what is thought to be a promising RV. As for the dealer techs explanation on what caused all those electrical problems and comments about preventing them (leaving the unit plugged in 24-7), someone is covering their posterior side!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #173

Ya know, I to am beginning to wonder about the "QUALITY" of this 320. It LOOKS like a quality unit, but why are so many things going wrong with them??????? Is it the pieces that are furnished by others for FR or is it the quality control of the people at FR. We had trouble with the rear landing gear when we got home last weekend-- it wouldn't go down, so its in the dealer now gettin that fixed-- i noticed a tag on the landing gear tho that says its made by lippert for "Ultra Lite Use" and i don't think this columbus is considered an Ultra lite....
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #174

The old saying: A pig with lipstick is still a pig. So upset I let my Cedar Creek go. I use my campers for work and needed it to go to Bristol this weekend. I've had so many problems I decided to leave it home and get a hotel room. Not a great first week in my Columbus.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #175
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Couple View Post
I am quite disappointed in the emotion that CC is displaying over this electrical issue, as I have enjoyed having expert advice on what is a very new RV, to this point. As was stated earlier, we are consumers and new to the unit; and, we certainly do not need to be treated as idiots...To summarize, I believe that CC has had diarrhea of the fingertips, and if not careful, will severely compromise what is thought to be a promising RV. As for the dealer techs explanation on what caused all those electrical problems and comments about preventing them (leaving the unit plugged in 24-7), someone is covering their posterior side!!
X2 And just how by not using a disconnect did that cause all the problems? Some campers i.e. Flagstaff for one brand, doesn't even have disconnects. Think someone is blowing smoke.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #176

battery disconnect............. electrical......... plugged in 24/7........... knocking on wood right now.............. We heave left ours plugged in during the season. Only not pluggin in when it was in the shop (no fault of FR) .......... it will go to the shop for warrenty work in Sept and they will not have it plugged in. Have been told to empty the fridge..... Battery disconnect............ I must get educated on this...the Pod (a Keystone) didn't have one....... Maybe I will start a thread!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #177

Battery Disconnect, etc.

Our 320RS was produced on July 27. We certainly have had some of the usual "punch list" items to deal with but not excessive compared to other manufactor's RVs that we have had.
However, we are having some electrical items that the dealer does not seem to want to look into. I've never had an RV that when the electrical cord is unplugged from "shore power" & the battery disconnect is turned to OFF that some things still function. In our case, the 6-way jack system still functions. Also, when unplugged with the master circuit brkr switched OFF but the battery disconnect is left in the ON position we still have 110V for several things. I'll let the forum know just exactly what item(s) this applies to when we visit our 320 this wkend.
The main TV will not play thru the surround ceiling spkrs which they also aren't familiar with, but this is not an "electrical" issue.
We really enjoy our 4 nights of staying in our new RV even though they have all been while in the parking lot of the RV center while things are being worked on. Overall the 320RS is really nice, BUT...........!
It appears that FR's "growing pains" re: the Columbus are becomming more evident & I agree that the RV centers need more training on the models.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus
Well you created your own light problem and battery problem by not using the battery disconnect . Proper use and a good walk thru of operation is always a plus
Chris
Are you saying that you can't use your lights when on battery power with out the risk of damage to the system? Is there a need for low voltage alarm?
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #179
Factory Rep

You can use the lights that are on 12 volt with battery hooked up. My choice of words earlier may have scared some and made some mad.
Poor choice on my part.
All I was trying to convey is that when hooked up to 110 the battery should be on disconnect , and when the unit is not being used.
Apologies to all that took my few words wrong .
I'm all for improving the product and helping those that have problems.
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #180
tlc

Just to keep everyone updated on the electrical issues. Yesterday, when tech came, after giving "his diagnosis" he recommended the RV go to shop. So tomorrow (Friday) it will be in shop. Will keep you posted. Surprised we haven't heard from Chris (which is kinda scary to be quite honest). I really hope it is nothing serious but I am getting the feeling that it may be. I know this may sound a little "over the top" to some of you but I don't know how sound I can sleep in the RV with the knowledge of the electrical problems. Awwww.....how do you go from such happiness with something to being so darn disappointed in it?

Tags
5th wheel