Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #101

Thanks for the tip. I had already tried closing the vent on the A/C unit and didn't get much air flow from the ceiling vents. I realize the main vent on the unit is intended for quick cool-down (meaning probably more air volume) but when I close it I can feel a small amount of air from a couple of ceiling vents and none from others. I'm taking the trailer to the dealer tomorrow morning to let them figure out what's going on. I'm also going to ask them what's up with the tempermental external radio. My dealer is FunTown in Cleburne, Texas. They did a good job fixing my first punch list of items, so hopefully they can solve these two things as well.
vcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #102

King Pin Stabilizer

I am wondering about purchasing a king pin stabilizer for my 385. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience as to what affects one has on the front of the camper?
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #103

We have a 320 and use the tripod most of the time, to me it helps take a lot of strain off of the landing gears and does help stabilize some- and if you want to relevel after unhooking from truck, that is a great option with the tripod.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #104
"On the road again"

We had a Sandpiper fiver for six years and I never broke down to get a tripod. With our 320 I went ahead and bought one and absolutely will never camp a night without it. The six-way leveling system combined with the tripod makes an unbelievable difference.

I'm betting it would add the finishing touch of stability to your 385 as well.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #105

Does anyone have a problem with the radio in the basement storage I cannot get the volume up
bigsaxdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsaxdawg View Post
Does anyone have a problem with the radio in the basement storage I cannot get the volume up
We have the same problem. Have it on my warranty work list. Isn't a long list.......... but I do have one. It worked the first 2 or 3 times out..... then just stopped. I do have surround sound with the television. I would rather listen to tele so I may just borrow an old surround sound speaker and put that near a window.

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #107

Tripod

I have been considering and/or looking at tripods. There seems to be some big differences in prices and cannot really tell what the differences are or what to look for. Any recommendations?
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #108

I have this one from Camping World:
Heavy Duty King Pin Stabilizer - Ultra-fab Products 19-950001 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I found that if your raise the front of your fiver high enough to position the tri-pod, you can then lower it and place much of the weight of the fiver on the tri-pod and level the trailer; it helps stabilze the bedroom. You can still feel the rear of the fiver move due to the suspension moving. It's good when sleeping.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #109

Columbus 320RS with F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
We have a 320 and use the tripod most of the time, to me it helps take a lot of strain off of the landing gears and does help stabilize some- and if you want to relevel after unhooking from truck, that is a great option with the tripod.
We just ordered a 320RS & will be pulling it with an F250 diesel also. Does the diesel & F250 suspension handle it OK? What about traveling thru high country (Smokies/Rockies, etc.)? Are you pleased with the 320RS? Any real issues for me to consider?
Thanks much.

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
We had a Sandpiper fiver for six years and I never broke down to get a tripod. With our 320 I went ahead and bought one and absolutely will never camp a night without it. The six-way leveling system combined with the tripod makes an unbelievable difference.

I'm betting it would add the finishing touch of stability to your 385 as well.
Our newly ordered 320RS will be equipped with the 6-way leveling system like yours. Does the tripod make any noticable difference in addition to what the 6-way system does in terms of stability?
Thanks

Mark/Jeannie
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
I have this one from Camping World:
Heavy Duty King Pin Stabilizer - Ultra-fab Products 19-950001 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I found that if your raise the front of your fiver high enough to position the tri-pod, you can then lower it and place much of the weight of the fiver on the tri-pod and level the trailer; it helps stabilze the bedroom. You can still feel the rear of the fiver move due to the suspension moving. It's good when sleeping.
Do you have either a 4 or 6-way leveling system - and if you do, does the tripod still make a noticable difference in stability?
Thanks

Mark/Jeannie
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #112
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Our newly ordered 320RS will be equipped with the 6-way leveling system like yours. Does the tripod make any noticable difference in addition to what the 6-way system does in terms of stability?
Thanks

Mark/Jeannie
With our Sandpiper we never had the kingpin tripod, and we always had that wobble especially when someone was upstairs walking around. With the 320RS it was not nearly as noticeable but...if I was in the recliner I could still occasionally feel movement.

With the tripod - there is virtually ZERO movement/wobble anywhere in the trailer. It's the best $135 I've spent so far. Plus, it doubles as a kingpin lock (I replaced the cheap lock that came with it) because you can padlock it into place to prevent someone from stealing the tripod or the trailer itself. And may I hasten to say I trust other RV owners 100%, it's the outsiders passing through a camping area that would concern me.

So - bottom line, yes the six-way makes leveling a breeze (no more pulling up on 2x6's or yellow plastic "Lego" blocks) and makes it a bit more stable, but adding the tripod is the finishing touch that I strongly recommend.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsaxdawg View Post
I did have at one time, but we had trouble with the vacuum cleaner wouldn't shut off till it (i think) overheated and shut down. i tore things apart and checked for voltage to try and get it going again with no luck. so i put things back together and then the vac started working correctly again and then the radio started working the way its suppose to---- don't know what i did, but all is working ok now.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #114

You know it seems like everyone is having the same issues (Front AC, Basement radio, slides, coax connections, etc.) and it seems like nothing is being done at the factory to resolve these issues (Pre-delivery). The first person on the forum to get one has the same issues as the last.
I have one on order and I'm tempted to pull the plug on the deal. If they can't fix known issues as simple as these at the factory, I can't imagine the build quality of the rest of the camper.
Everyone seems to think it's no big deal to keep taking the camper to the dealer to have repairs done. It takes me over 3 hours every time I have to take my camper in to my closest dealer (Not including fuel costs) and honestly that's not acceptable to me.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #115

My husband sounded off the same as you are, but we really like our Columbus 320rs & are looking forward to YEARS of enjoyment,,,,quality & work ethic is not built in to the workforce anymore, so sad too. Do a good looking over before you drive off the lot with your new rig, make them correct what you see & have them check out the tv, sound system, etc that you are reading about so it gets corrected to your satisfaction. THEN go live life to the funniest RV style!!!!
Barpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #116

Ours has only been to the dealer once so far due to warranty (had a connector come loose). And once for body work for something we did. Yes -- it will go back at the end of the season. Don't want it in the shop any longer than needed. Our dealer is almost 3 hours away.... but I will take it there for warranty work and routine work (winterizing -- spring check up and such)..... The Columbus is an awesome rig...........

Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
Ours has only been to the dealer once so far due to warranty (had a connector come loose). And once for body work for something we did. Yes -- it will go back at the end of the season. Don't want it in the shop any longer than needed. Our dealer is almost 3 hours away.... but I will take it there for warranty work and routine work (winterizing -- spring check up and such)..... The Columbus is an awesome rig...........
See, that's the problem. I don't understand how we (as a society) have been so brainwashed as to think this is acceptable. If I purchased a truck for this much (Which I have) and had to take it to the dealership every month to have work done I would be livid! Much less have to drive 3 hours each way and leave it, unusable, for weeks on end.
These companies seem to think the consumers time is null and void. I like to use my spare time with my family camping, not driving campers around for service work that should have been done right in the first place.
Why can't they check the TV, AC noise from the factory? Now I have to immediately take 20 hours out of my day to get it fixed day 1?

Sorry.... Just venting.... Carry on
Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #118

Ours only sat to have the body work done.When we had the lose connection we brought it up to our dealer and we were seen right then and there. And oh by the way...... we went over a few other things (I have been full of questions)... Right now I have an appt for warranty work when I know that work will keep us from camping. We will drop it off to the dealer on a Saturday and pick it up the following Saturday. Your dealer should work with you. And we have very little warranty work to be done!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #119

I understand. Our dealer is a 3 hour drive both ways through heavy traffic. Our new unit is at the dealer to resolve issues with the Antennae, cable and Satellite as well as other issues. The AC is so loud that we can't carry on a conversation. We were told that its the way the unit is. It is loud. I am not happy with that response. However, I have no other option. I too have talked up the noise issue on this forum and I have not read anything that tells me anything other than that is the way the unit is. Not happy. But…
plein air artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by plein air artist View Post
I understand. Our dealer is a 3 hour drive both ways through heavy traffic. Our new unit is at the dealer to resolve issues with the Antennae, cable and Satellite as well as other issues. The AC is so loud that we can't carry on a conversation. We were told that its the way the unit is. It is loud. I am not happy with that response. However, I have no other option. I too have talked up the noise issue on this forum and I have not read anything that tells me anything other than that is the way the unit is. Not happy. But…
We will have the tv/satellite/cable checked in September but this is not just a FR issue... I have a friend with a Heartland that is dealing with the same thing. Dealers should have kits for the AC unit in the bedroom. Call yours or contact Columbus directly. My kit is sitting at the dealers. And if the kit doesn't work then they have said they will install another AC.

Tags
5th wheel