Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #1

Columbus 5th Wheel Towing

Well, it looks like we have bit the bullet and decided to order a 320RS. We went to the Hershey RV show yesterday and worked at deal. So, we will probably be asking a lot of questions in the next couple of months. My question now is about the tow vehicle/hitch application. I have a 3/4 ton GMC Denali crew cab, 6 1/2 ft bed. I am looking at the B&W Companion hitch and was wondering if anyone else is using this setup with a short bed. Obviously I am concerned with turning radius clearance, but also ride,etc.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Does the trailer have a Reese Revolution pinbox?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
"On the road again"

We have an F250 short bed and have a Husky sliding 5th wheel hitch...BUT...we have NEVER had to slide the hitch. We have plenty of turning radius for backing. In fact, each time we head out, my first task is to back down a 150' tree-lined driveway into the cul-de-sac.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Does the trailer have a Reese Revolution pinbox?
No, it has the trail aire roto fles pinbox.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Trailer Trash

320RS is about 11,000 empty. 3/4 ton towable with shortbed. Get the slider hitch if you have a shortbed so you can backup your RV into a tight camping spot if need be. Many times you don't need it, but it's nice to have a slider when ya need it.

I have the oddball one. Reese goosebox instead of 5th wheel. The goosneck pin box has air suspension with 2 air shocks and 1 airbag. Super smooth ride but more of a pain in the butt to hook it up if you are driving without a helper. Gooseneck is what horse and cattle people use. Truck came setup with super heavyduty gooseball so I ended up with the better but less popular pinbox.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
We have an F250 short bed and have a Husky sliding 5th wheel hitch...BUT...we have NEVER had to slide the hitch. We have plenty of turning radius for backing. In fact, each time we head out, my first task is to back down a 150' tree-lined driveway into the cul-de-sac.

If you can do that in one go, then you are certainly a master!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

looks to be a straight line 150'. not to say it would be easy, but doesnt look to be that difficult. why not back it in to begin with and then pull straight out?
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #8

Congrats on the Columbus!!!! We wouldn't change a thing!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #9

I've got the standard pinbox and a non-slide Reese 15K hitch and haven't had any problem backing in anywhere yet, and one campground was REALLY TIGHT backing into this summer but i made it without hitting the cab with the camper.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

I have a short bed f250 with a 365 saq, slider hitch and I have never used the slider part. The way they make the nose of the rv now makes the slider an mute point. I would suggest a set of Firestone air bags.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

We have an F350 long bed and went with the Curt Q20. I like the double locking jaws, I'm sure you can get it with a slider.
2015 Nights Camped 72
2016 42
2017 15 so far
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #12

Ok, here are some more questions.
1. The new unit will be coming with a screen door, unless we choose not to have one. Please give me some opinions about the one main door versus having a screen door also.
2. Do any of you have the fantastic fan with the rain sensor? How many do you have? Do they work as advertised? I think I like the fan, but am wondering if I would rather have the vent covers with just the fan.
3. How do you like the day/night shades? The night shades seem to be just thicker than the day shades, not darker. Would they be better if they were darker?
3. I have heard that there may be an option for a wind sensor awning. Has anyone heard of that?
4. Has anyone purchased or seen the Pebble fabric option?
5. how do you like the central vac? Any problems with the hose reaching everywhere? We have two labs and they produce hair, a lot of hair.
We are wondering if it will handle the job?
Please excuse so many questions, but we need to ask before we place the order.

Thanks in advance
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #13

1. Can’t help on screen door, we have standard
2. Never tested rain sensor.
3. Day/Night shades, good observation, the darker is probably not as dark as you would like. Wife added darkening curtains in the bedroom. In full sun can feel the heat radiating. Wish we had double pane windows.
4. No
5. Travel with two dogs and a bird, no problems reaching.

Hitch – Silverado 2500 Duramax, standard bed. Like you contemplated the slider hitch, but declined. The aerodynamic shape of the cap, makes maneuvering much easier. We have had it in all kinds of tight turns, never came close to making contact. I would instead focus on the safety features of the hitch, like the red/green indicators that show on the Husky. This may prevent a disaster as a result of dropping the trailer on the truck bed from the hitch not being fully engaged.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
looks to be a straight line 150'. not to say it would be easy, but doesnt look to be that difficult. why not back it in to begin with and then pull straight out?
The backing-up begins with about a 35-degree angle to get started down what is a pretty straight driveway. And, with a building on one side and fence on the other, it can be a bit tricky. As far as why not back it in - I figure it's six of one...and a half-dozen of another. But, I'm generally a bit less tired when heading out on a trip, plus - pulling it in "head first" puts the door on the same side as the sidewalk coming from the house, so loading and unloading is a lot easier.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #15

We have the fantastic fan with rain sensor on the kitchen. It has worked perfectly with the slightest drizzle activating the close cycle. If I had it to do over I would opt for standard fan with remote and add a max air fan mate cover. Then you can use your vent fan even if it's raining.
Camping Days so far in 2013=19
redfinaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo
Well, it looks like we have bit the bullet and decided to order a 320RS. We went to the Hershey RV show yesterday and worked at deal. So, we will probably be asking a lot of questions in the next couple of months. My question now is about the tow vehicle/hitch application. I have a 3/4 ton GMC Denali crew cab, 6 1/2 ft bed. I am looking at the B&W Companion hitch and was wondering if anyone else is using this setup with a short bed. Obviously I am concerned with turning radius clearance, but also ride,etc.
We have the same truck in a chevy w/ B&w companion, but we have a 2013 puma 295kbh by palamino 5er and we can turn extremely sharp with it. I have the hitch set on the rearward most setting and the highest setting. I will have to check when I back out Thursday just how tight it gets. I know its not the same trailer but the curvature of the nose looks pretty close to the same ( best I can tell by pics). My king pin is either directly below the leading edge of the nose or just rearward a inch or two. Hope this helps!
- Those are some sweet looking trailers, bet you'll love it!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
Trailer Trash

1. The new unit will be coming with a screen door, unless we choose not to have one. Please give me some opinions about the one main door versus having a screen door also.
No screen door on mine. Just one main door and that has a screen window that opens. The one main door is heavy duty compared to a screen door. Screen doors are light, cheap latches and tend to catch wind and break.

2. Do any of you have the fantastic fan with the rain sensor? How many do you have? Do they work as advertised? I think I like the fan, but am wondering if I would rather have the vent covers with just the fan.
I just have 1 fantastic fan with remote. It's in the middle - kitchen area. Works great, its automatic or manual your choice and the rain sensor really works. I have a manual fan in bathroom. And just a vent no fan in bedroom.

3. How do you like the day/night shades? The night shades seem to be just thicker than the day shades, not darker. Would they be better if they were darker? The thicker shade blocks out more light thus being darker. They are funky to get used to the first few times you use them. But after that, I love em. They do a good job of blocking out sun during day to keep it cool inside and dark at nite.

3. I have heard that there may be an option for a wind sensor awning. Has anyone heard of that? News to me. Awning on mine did not flap around in say 15-20mph wind. More wind, I roll it back up. I also roll it back up if I know it's going to rain/storm.

4. Has anyone purchased or seen the Pebble fabric option? Your dealer should have sample fabrics to show you. They are small squares on a board so you can compare and choose if ordering one not on the lot.

5. how do you like the central vac? Any problems with the hose reaching everywhere? We have two labs and they produce hair, a lot of hair.
Works good for the most part. The wide carpet/bare floor attachment is sweet but works poor if you have the switch on the wrong setting. The hose is very heavy but it stretches all the way around my camper. Be carefull of scratching up wood steps and corner trim pieces. Its loud to use but has lots of suction power. Some of the attachments fit loose into the hose and some fit too tight. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 rating.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #18

So, after doing a lot of research and measuring, there may be situations where I could run into an issue with turning radius. I have decided to order the 5th airborne sidewinder and the Reese 18K hitch with the puck system. This way, I can remove everything when I am not using to 5th wheel and have the bed mostly normal. Please give me any feedback you want to put in. I still have time to make some changes.

Thanks
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #19

I just received a call from the service dept. who was checking on which hitch will be needed for my 2011 SD 250 Short bed. Since the Columbus 320 is 100" wide, Pullrite Techs said the the 24K slider is the only hitch that will turn at more then a 60* angle. This is almost double the cost and weight of a 16k hitch.

I camp in state parks so I need a setup that will make short turns.

I'm looking at all options?

Doug
Pa-cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #20

My dealer recommended the Reese 18K Elite, which has the under bed mounts and is a slider. I believe this is also the Ford factory setup as well.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, columbus, palomino, towing