Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

Columbus Awning Color Scheme

Our new Columbus 320RS has a black/gray/white Dometic 9100 awning. The RV color is cream and brown. I have seen pictures of the cream/brown Columbus with a brown/tan/ and white awning. Several other owners with our color also seem to have the gray and white awning.

It would seen logical that the gray/black awning would be used with the silver and black Columbus and the brown and white with the cream and brown color option.

It is possible that we got the wrong color awning? Maybe due to a shortage because of the Dometic awning recall?
edenjw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

My awning on my 320 is the brown/tan one. I haven't seen a gray one yet.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #3

On my 2013 325rl mine is black and gray and the body color is cream
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

It seems that some owners received the correct colored awning with their RV's while several got the gray/white/black with the brown/cream exterior. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but it sure seems odd that the awning color doesn't match the exterior color scheme when the correct colors are available.
I'm not sure I would want them to mess with it at this point since it is functional, but the DW noticed right off that the awning color didn't match.

Would like to know from Chris Columbus if there was an intent at some point to match the awning color and why the protocol was changed to 'luck of the draw'.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

Just picked up our new 2014 320rs from the dealer on Friday and sure enough we have the mismatched black/gray awning on our cream colored Columbus.
chwill3073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Let me know what happens I you ask them to switch it out. I'm not sure if this would be a warranty issue since the awing is functional. I'm sure you'll have more leverage before you buy.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #7

I have a 2013 320rs, cream and brown in color. I also have the black,grey and white awning. That color is called granite and it is what I had to order for my new window awnings. I wish you luck in your quest to get it changed because of color. By the way, someone mentioned a dometic awning recall. Details???
travelor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #8

This is a link to an article about the Dometic power awning recall: Dometic USA Announces Product Recall and Replacement of RV Power Awning Kits - Yahoo! Finance.

I suppose awning color is a minor issue when compared to them unfurling while in flight, so to speak.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #9

Sabre Awning

Does anyone know if the Sabre 5r line uses this Dometic awning or if the recall effected any Sabre 5'rs? I got one close to shipping in the new Platinum Edition color.

Thanks
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #10

We picked our 320RS up in January. If we had known that the awning was the Black and gray (camper is cream and brown) . We wouldn't have accepted delivery. We hate it that much. Sure would like to hear from Christopher Columbus on this.
ee2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
MI Camperz

Well, it may have been an "exception" or "accidental"....
To try and put a positive spin on it.........my DH kinda collects, trades, sells HotWheels (I swear he's an adult)....Anyway...those exceptions or accidents actually increase their value b/c of their uniqueness.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #12

Come on Christopher Columbus. Where you at? There are many people (including myself) who want to hear from you on this. Why were 2 color schemes (1 being the obvious correct color scheme) used on the tan and brown 320RS?

If you do not know then pls provide a contact name and # that we can call and find out ourselves. But pls do not hide your head in the sand and not respond. If you don;t know tell us.
dkwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwin1 View Post
Come on Christopher Columbus. Where you at? There are many people (including myself) who want to hear from you on this. Why were 2 color schemes (1 being the obvious correct color scheme) used on the tan and brown 320RS?

If you do not know then pls provide a contact name and # that we can call and find out ourselves. But pls do not hide your head in the sand and not respond. If you don;t know tell us.
Have you tried PM'ing Christopher Columbus? I know they don't always monitor all of the threads. Reaching out directly to them will get their attention vs. just asking a question in a thread.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Factory Rep

Head is not in sand. Lol. We have used the one color for both exteriors that we offer for some time now. I believe it's been for almost 12 months.
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #15

Christopher,

Thanks for the response. Why would you use a color scheme that does not match the exterior of the unit. My wife noticed this on delivery of our unit and when she pointed it out to me I then noticed it and it has bothered me since. If she would not have mentioned it I probably would have not noticed it but now it bothers me.

I guess I need to buy a new awning or have the exterior of my unit painted the grey color scheme. Which would be cheaper??

Thanks again.
dkwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #16

We have a 2013 creme/brown 320RS built late January that has the brown awning. I know I would not be happy if it had the gray one.

2013 Columbus 320RS
2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually 6.7 Cummins
Days Camped 2013 - 50
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
Head is not in sand. Lol. We have used the one color for both exteriors that we offer for some time now. I believe it's been for almost 12 months.
So, Palomino decided to use the blk/gry awning on all of its Columbus trailers and have been doing so for 12 months. So how did Skipper who picked his up in January end up with the correct color? Very strange. What I do believe, is that when we picked up our trailers we would have needed to note the wrong color on the awning and not accepted delivery. After the fact does us no good.
travelor2 is offline   Reply With Quote