Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You really can't reference a tire to a part of the fender flair. You have to pick a point on the frame and measure to the front of the tire. Don't get me wrong it does look wrong and it may be but a frame alignment shop needs to look at it to make it right. It is very difficult to align tires and axles using a tape measure. A 1/4 - to 1/2 of a degree is significant.
JMTCW
TeJay
I agree 100%. If the axles need to be moved, it should be done by professionals, and not some hack at an RV dealership.
They need to be aligned properly, or the camper will not track right, and you will likely have never-ending tire problems.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
Not-so-Junior Member

I have been in communication about this matter with the Columbus factory as well as all of the other issues that we have had and those that we still have.

Our experience with RV Supercenter has only made the matters worse. The Columbus warranty rep has contacted a Forest River dealer close to our home and has arranged for to have it serviced there.

Thank you Jack Landers, for your attention to this matter, hopefully we are on the path to becoming happy Columbus owners!

• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #23

Good to hear that Columbus is looking after you.
Hopefully the new dealer will treat you a lot better.
Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #24

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaBill View Post
The axles on our Columbus 295RL are set forward so either the frame is wrong or the fender flair is in the wrong place. Take a look at the photos. One shows the position of the axles and the other shows how close the flair is to the tire on the front edge.

The same is true on the left side but not as extreme. Has anybody else had this issue? This trailer is new, but we have had all sorts of warranty issues that were going to be taken care of. We picked it up yesterday after a 3-week return to the dealer and still have most of the issues left, plus now we seem to have more to deal with...

Hopefully the factory will have some answers for us on Monday morning.
Bill, It looks like either your 295 was mounted on a frame meant for another moel or someone measured wrong and welded the spring brackets in wrong place.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Trailer Trash

I remember reading and hearing 1st hand from Columbus rep and the RV show in Minneapolis 2012..........Only a hand picked select few dealers will be carrying this new Columbus line. Must have been true as there was only one dealer in Minnesota at that time.

Well as all companies need to do, they have to sell what they make. This means turning down the requirements to be a Columbus dealer. I'm reading way too many horror stories now about Columbus dealers doing basically unacceptable crappy work. Now granted for every 100 good situations there is only a few bad ones. But bad news travels fast on the world wide web. Good news still only travels 5mph.

I've said before and I'll say it again, if your dealer is not receiving good marks on this dealer review forum, think twice before buying from them.
Dealer Reviews - Forest River Forums
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaBill View Post
I have been in communication about this matter with the Columbus factory as well as all of the other issues that we have had and those that we still have.

Our experience with RV Supercenter has only made the matters worse. The Columbus warranty rep has contacted a Forest River dealer close to our home and has arranged for to have it serviced there.

Thank you Jack Landers, for your attention to this matter, hopefully we are on the path to becoming happy Columbus owners!
VenturaBill,
I had a similar issue with a Wildcat 5ver several years ago. Instead of taking it to any dealer service center, Forest River agreed to pay for me to take it to a local heavy truck frame shop. That was the perfect solution for us. Dealers don't seem to have the people trained to do something so important. Perhaps the Columbus factory will agree to the same. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
Factory Rep

I'm following this with interest. I believe we will find that the axels are placed properly and that on one side the plant installed the wheel skirt off center. Just my guess , but I've lots of experience. Odds are we couldn't have delivered a fifth wheel all the way to southern Cal, with axels not in proper alignment and then have the customer also take it on short trip.
I guess we will find out . Then we can get it all fixed and behind us.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
I'm following this with interest. I believe we will find that the axels are placed properly and that on one side the plant installed the wheel skirt off center. Just my guess , but I've lots of experience. Odds are we couldn't have delivered a fifth wheel all the way to southern Cal, with axels not in proper alignment and then have the customer also take it on short trip.
I guess we will find out . Then we can get it all fixed and behind us.
I am glad that you have the confidence Christopher, I have lost mine with my dealer after dropping mine off for repair going back two weeks later finding more damage than ther was on it when I dropped it off, and noone ever called me about it. Still waiting for the parts another week or 2 I am guessing. (Sorry Bill I had to hijack your thread) And by the way Chris, My feelings are only toward the dealer and not at Columbus, as Columbus has been good to me so far!!
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
I'm following this with interest. I believe we will find that the axels are placed properly and that on one side the plant installed the wheel skirt off center.
How is that possible when the wheel skirt is attached to the slide?
It is impossible to install it wrong.
So we have a situation where either the axles were mounted wrong, or maybe the hole in the camper wall for the slide was cut in the wrong place.
Either way, it should have never left the factory looking like that.
Where were the quality control inspectors?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Factory Rep

It's very possible. When the unit was delivered the skirt over wheels on one side was cracked. So we sent a new one. It got installed improperly and now it looks wrong. The dealer that is Now going to fix it will space it properly and that should take care of the Visual look. It wasn't a install issue here
Maybe we all have a tendency to jump to the wrong conclusion before the facts are in .
Hope everyone goes camping
Chris