Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #41
Commercial Member

My question would be, what did it look like before you returned it to the dealer??

If it was fine going in, and looks that way now, I would say it is a dealer issue, and not anything Columbus related....

If I remember correctly, there was an issue with the fender, and other things, and was returned to a dealer.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #42
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bshredded View Post
Wow, it is so good to hear the commitment Columbus has to standing behind their product. It doesn't sound like they are playing the blame game, just working to make it right. I, for one, don't want to second guess the problem without full analysis by a qualified person.
WOW! This person joined FRF in 2011 and this is their 1st posting. Somebody get this person the Master Lurker award. OR it's a fake account to give.......Never mind. Google fake facebook likes and you'll get the idea.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
If we cannot comment on issues we are not involved in, then this whole site would be dead, and pointless.
We are here to share experiences, good and bad.
I am sure that Columbus will fix the problem, and that is all that matters.
X2

Not sure how that is gonna work but am interested in hearing the final word. I'd be measuring the axle alignment in any case.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #44

First of all I currently own a Grey Wolf. I joined the forum to learn, not only about what I have, but what my next level would be. Based on a lot of info from this forum as well as others, I have ordered a Columbus 320. Maybe the reason I "lurked" is because I didn't want to be attacked for as a novice camper. Thanks to all who sincerely share. I look forward to the next level.
2bshredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #45
Trailer Trash

Well 2bshredded, welcome aboard. I have a 320RS and did the same thing as you. I read EVERY thread on Columbus RVs before I bought mine. Then I read the dealers review forum. This was during winter of 2012 when the 320RS was having all kinds of teething problems from being a brand new model. I read over and over that if the dealer didn't take care of the warranty problems, the factory or even higher yet, Forest River (parent company) would take care of the buyer and eventually get things fixed.

So with that info in hand, and like you, I bought my 320RS. This was my first camper I have ever owned and like everyone else did my own mistakes. Everyone goes through it. I go through my warranty repairs in a couple months and will keep this forum posted on results.

Post away, ask questions, etc. Jump in, the water is fine. Nobody knows if you are on your 1st or 10th camper. Just introduce yourself as a new 320RS owner and enjoy the fun.

Like all the other problems this axle issue will get fixed up also. Myself, I'm betting the fender skirt is the culprit and not the location/mounting of the axle. Two people and a tape measurer can figure this out in 3 minutes.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #46
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
I'm following this with interest. I believe we will find that the axels are placed properly and that on one side the plant installed the wheel skirt off center. Just my guess , but I've lots of experience. Odds are we couldn't have delivered a fifth wheel all the way to southern Cal, with axels not in proper alignment and then have the customer also take it on short trip.
I guess we will find out . Then we can get it all fixed and behind us.
Chris-
I tend to agree with you. After crawling underneath our 295RL and measuring, inspecting for broken components, etc. I determined that the suspension was safe for travel.
We towed it to Death Valley last week for a shakedown and it towed beautifully.
I have also gotten underneath the RH slide and photographed the backside of the wheel flair. You can see the original holes for the original flair and then about 3" farther back are the new holes for the new flair.
That indicates that RV Supercenter probably mounted the replacement fender flair in the wrong location.
Adding to all of the other warranty issues that RV Supercenter did not repair and those repairs that were done improperly, I can only say that I am angered by the whole situation.
Jack Landers has arranged for us to take our Columbus to another Forest River facility to hopefully have the repairs done correctly and hopefully they will determine that we don't have a suspension problem, but a cosmetic one.
-Bill
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #47
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus View Post
I'm following this with interest. I believe we will find that the axels are placed properly and that on one side the plant installed the wheel skirt off center. Just my guess , but I've lots of experience. Odds are we couldn't have delivered a fifth wheel all the way to southern Cal, with axels not in proper alignment and then have the customer also take it on short trip.
I guess we will find out . Then we can get it all fixed and behind us.

It's been about 6 weeks since my last posting on this and a lot has happened since. I told Jack Landers at Columbus that in no way did I want RV Supercenter to work on our rig ever again... he agreed and then he called a local FR dealer close to us in Ventura and set it up so we could take it in there for further repairs... that's Barber RV.
We took it in to Barber RV as arranged and the service manager looked at our list of issues and at the rig, he shook his head and asked "why were we bringing it here? With this much wrong this needs to go back to the factory."
We were a little upset but he agreed that he would take a better look at it, so we left it there. Essentially the very next week we received an email from Jack asking if we would mind if they took it back to the factory for repairs? We said yes you can! The service manager at Barber RV had called the factory and told them the work that needed to be done would be best done at the factory... we are grateful that he took the effort to do that. Jack had a truck here within a day to pick our trailer up for the return trip to the factory.
It's been a month now and Jack informed me today that the repairs are done and our Columbus is being transported back to us. We should have it back next week...
As I believed from my measuring of the suspension and Chis Columbus had indicated, the fender flair was mounted in the wrong position and the axle alignment was fine. But,this was not a factory issue.
The selling dealer, RV Supercenter, mounted the replacement flair in the wrong position about 4-6" back, which gave the appearance of the axles being forward. This also put additional holes in the sheet metal on the side since they didn't use the original holes that the original flair was attached with. Incompetence!
When the factory reinstalled the flair they had to replace the sheet metal on that side since it now had additional holes from the screw-up at RVSC.
We certainly seem to have had more than our share of issues with our 295, however we love it and look forward to having it back so we can do what we bought it for... CAMP!
I am thankful to Jack Landers and the warranty department as well as Gene, service manager, at Barber RV in Ventura for the efforts!
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #48

I have always found Jack tone a great guy to help out. He has helped me a few times which is one reason I feel so strongly about the Columbus brand.
Hope you enjoy your Columbus when you get it back.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #49

Great update Bill, let us know how it turns out when you get her back.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote