Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Columbus Brakes

How much brake assist should we expect from the electric brakes on our new Columbus? (320RS).
I've pulled trailers up to 40+ feet, but never a FW. I am getting very little braking action from the Columbus brakes, even when I manually activate the brakes with my brake controller set on the max. gain of 10. Ford has checked my brake controller & it is functioning normally (brand new F350 with factory controller).
Bryon at the Columbus factory told us to have the dealor check the brakes. We are having that done soon. I just would like to hear from other Columbus owners as to what "gain" they usually are setting on their brake controller in order to get a good amount of brake assist from their FW.
Thanks to all who respond!

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #2

Mine is at 10. From what I understand the Ford Controller is designed to apply more force the harder you brake. Apparently it is supposed to work well. Fortunately I haven't tried it.

Everything I have read it says the heavier trailers need to be set to 10 if you can't get total lock at 20-30 MPH.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
"On the road again"

We have a 2010 F250 and have our gain set on 8.5, and it has always worked fine for me and our Columbus 320RS. Fortunately, I haven't had to put it in a "lock 'em" situation, but normal braking is just fine with ours set on 8.5.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Trailer Trash

At 10-15 mph, use the slider switch on your brake controller ONLY to stop your trailer. Do not push on the foot brake. It gives you an idea of how much braking power the trailer has on its own. This makes the assumption that your electric brake controller has this feature.

I have the integrated trailer brake on my Ford truck and yes it works as the more you push on the brake, the more braking electric power it sends out to the trailer. I'm on 7.5 on my controller. Try some quick stops when nobody is around from freewway speed on exit ramps. It's good to know what your rig will do in an emergency before it happens vs. after it happens.

What seems like the right amount of brake control power on dry pavement may be too much on wet pavement. You can cause the brakes to lockup on the trailer when pavement is wet. This causes trailer skid, fishtailing, and then a nasty accident in that order. It's something you have to try for yourself and see what happens on your rig. It's like winter driving. Try out the brakes and see how slippery it is. IF the trailer skids before the truck, your brake setting is too high.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Columbus Brakes

I appreciate very much the above responses to my question of braking.

Based on those responses, I'm sure I have a problem.
Going 20 mph when I activate my controller (no TV braking at all) with the slider to the max. gain of 10, I feel only a weak response of the FW brakes - certainly no where near to even coming close to lock-up of the brakes. It must be that the brake magnets on one of the axles is inop.

Thanks again

Mark/Jeannie
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #6

You should definitely feel more than that.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #7

We have an 08 F350 with the factory break controller set at 6.5 and it has been working fine. No problems stoping and the breaks don't lock up.
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

BTW we are towing a 2013 RS320
Fred and Christine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes