Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
Trailer Trash

I like it that the Columbus does NOT have a screen door. Open the shades and crank out the frameless windows to let air in. The sceen doors I looked at on other campers seemed very light duty, chincy, whatever you want to call it. The Columbus door is heavy, solid, has a good quality hinge, etc.

People kept telling me stories of their screen door getting damaged by visitors tripping and smashing into screen door. Or just simply letting the light screen door fly in the wind would damage it. The cheap plastic latch was also a problem area. Didn't seem to be owners of RV themselves that would damage the door as they knew how it worked. It was visitors........kids, drunk friends, old feeble relatives, etc.

That heavy front door on the Columbus reminded me of the reinforeced cockpit door on commercial airplanes. The deadbolt feature was a nice adder too.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 AM   #22
"On the road again"

Personally, after having a travel trailer and another 5th wheel before our Columbus, I too LOVE the door the Columbus has. We rarely used a screen door and as joelek said, it always seemed cheap. We a granddaughter almost fall out of the trailer once because the little plastic latch didn't hold well - so we were always "on guard" with the little ones around.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote