Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Member
 
Camper Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
Columbus camping 320 rs

We are on our way home from camping for the last 10 days in the upper peninsula of Michigan. We had such a great time camping in it. This is our 23 day in our Columbus since June. What a great experience. Every time we stopped for gas we had people looking at it saying how nice it looks. Then when we pulled up in our campsite we had people coming out of their campers before we could even unhitch. They were asking all about the fifth wheel and about the self leveling system. Nothing like being watched as you set up your fifth wheel. They sure do get attention when you pull up.
Sadly tomorrow we have to get it back to the dealer to get the parts that they ordered put on. I hope they don't have to keep it very long! The one thing we really missed was the screen door. We are going to see if we can get one ordered to put on.
__________________

__________________
2012 Georgetown 335DS
Camper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Couple View Post
We are on our way home from camping for the last 10 days in the upper peninsula of Michigan. We had such a great time camping in it. This is our 23 day in our Columbus since June. What a great experience. Every time we stopped for gas we had people looking at it saying how nice it looks. Then when we pulled up in our campsite we had people coming out of their campers before we could even unhitch. They were asking all about the fifth wheel and about the self leveling system. Nothing like being watched as you set up your fifth wheel. They sure do get attention when you pull up.
Sadly tomorrow we have to get it back to the dealer to get the parts that they ordered put on. I hope they don't have to keep it very long! The one thing we really missed was the screen door. We are going to see if we can get one ordered to put on.
I am missing the screen door as well... didn't think I would. I bought a magic mesh but haven't put it on yet!........ Our Columbus is in the shop!!! (stomping my foot--- wish they would hurry)
__________________

__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
amxpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 695
Is there suppose to be a screen door?
Can there be a screen door?
Would be nice.
__________________
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Factory Rep
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
The screen door is attached to the door w/ a crank to open the large door window .
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
no screen door................ sometimes I just want to leave the door open while bringing things into and/or out of the ES!!! May or may not like that magic mesh thing......... will keep you posted!
__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Member
 
Camper Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
I do know the door crank is suppose to be the screen door. That is a nice feature. I just love leaving then the screen door open in the early am or late evening. Some times it is a hassle to keep opening and closing door if you have to go in and out. I do also find myself leaving the door open and bugs getting in.
__________________
2012 Georgetown 335DS
Camper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5
I have been studying and researching the Columbus and the only thing I'm not liking is no screen door. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a fix for this? I too was thinking of a magic mesh, I'll be anxious to hear how it works.
This crank you are referring to.... it looks like the window just tilts open to let some air it. Does it do more than that? I'm thinking I would REALLY miss the screen door.
Sneakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
The Rolling Stones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Eugene, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
We just picked up our Columbus 365RL today and also bought the magic mesh. Hopefully we will try it out this weekend and if it works it will be a cheap fix to the no screen door dilemma on the Columbus 5th wheel
The Rolling Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
Member
 
Camper Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
We talked to our dealer about the screen door. He said the door would have to be replaced with a standard camper door. He showed us the door. I do not want THAT!!! So I am on the hunt for the magic screen! Please let me know how it works for you. I am hoping that works! As for our issues that we took it in for they have fixed everything but the flooring. That will have to wait till after camping season cause they will have to replace the whole thing. The antenna was not connected to the bedroom or the basement T.V. The have gotten it fixed and going to pick it up tomorrow.
__________________
2012 Georgetown 335DS
Camper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Couple
We talked to our dealer about the screen door. He said the door would have to be replaced with a standard camper door. He showed us the door. I do not want THAT!!! So I am on the hunt for the magic screen! Please let me know how it works for you. I am hoping that works! As for our issues that we took it in for they have fixed everything but the flooring. That will have to wait till after camping season cause they will have to replace the whole thing. The antenna was not connected to the bedroom or the basement T.V. The have gotten it fixed and going to pick it up tomorrow.
The magic mesh didn't work for me!!! You might like it but ... It concealed the entire door and handle.... I didnt see a way of tying it back when not needed. Nope ..... Not a mod for the Earth Station! So currently, I have for sale..... One very very slightly used.... 1 magic mesh door!!
__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Member
 
Camper Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station

The magic mesh didn't work for me!!! You might like it but ... It concealed the entire door and handle.... I didnt see a way of tying it back when not needed. Nope ..... Not a mod for the Earth Station! So currently, I have for sale..... One very very slightly used.... 1 magic mesh door!!
Darn I was really hoping it would work! Did it cover the whole door well? I was thinking maybe I would take it up and down when needed. I am not going to change out the whole door so I can get a screen door so I guess I will figure something else.
__________________
2012 Georgetown 335DS
Camper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
Yep covered it completely!!! Couldn't see the curtain or anything!!! Honestly, it made it ugly!!! It is on with sticky Velcro. You must be taunt to work. The bottom stair was almost in the way! I didn't even take a picture of it. It was completely up for a grand total of maybe one minute!!
__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
hotrodj125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cedar,Minnesota
Posts: 207
THANKS Earth Station, now i know not to get "magicmesh door". Was out this past weekend and would have been nice to have screen door a few times, but guess we will just have to get use to what we have- just love our 320RS tho.
__________________
Rod & Linda Johnson
Cedar, Minnesota
2006 F-250 SD 4x4 6.0
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 1,029
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Couple View Post
Every time we stopped for gas we had people looking at it saying how nice it looks. Then when we pulled up in our campsite we had people coming out of their campers before we could even unhitch. They were asking all about the fifth wheel and about the self leveling system. Nothing like being watched as you set up your fifth wheel. They sure do get attention when you pull up.
On our last trip I was talking to the folks that parked next to us and after a little while they said "Let me guess, I bet you were in Fredericksburg, TX two weeks ago, right?" I confirmed it and asked how they knew - and they just pointed to our Columbus and smiled.

They told us they had admired it all week, then were surprised to park next to it only two weeks later.

Later in the week another camper stopped by and was talking to me and I asked where he was located, and he grinned and said "well, I hate to even show you after seeing your rig." That was a bit embarrassing, but still made me feel good for our choice.

We are blessed...and continue to be thankful every day for the beautiful Columbus 320RS we have.
__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 121
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet

On our last trip I was talking to the folks that parked next to us and after a little while they said "Let me guess, I bet you were in Fredericksburg, TX two weeks ago, right?" I confirmed it and asked how they knew - and they just pointed to our Columbus and smiled.

They told us they had admired it all week, then were surprised to park next to it only two weeks later.

Later in the week another camper stopped by and was talking to me and I asked where he was located, and he grinned and said "well, I hate to even show you after seeing your rig." That was a bit embarrassing, but still made me feel good for our choice.

We are blessed...and continue to be thankful every day for the beautiful Columbus 320RS we have.
Just parked our Columbus at home to figure out all the little things. We are planning on taking her out in about two weeks. We also have the six point leveling system. We are experiencing movement in the living area of the camper. Did y'all have any kind of movement once the system had done the leveling? Two sets of the legs are near the wheels while the other is near the bedroom section of the camper. Any input would help us tremendously.
2retiredandready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Earth Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 627
We only have the 4 way level. We have movement also in the back. We use 2 slide stabilizers on the back. Going to loon into the JT strong arm thing next spring.
__________________

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Member
 
Camper Couple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 55
We have the 6 way leveling system. There is a very small amount of movement.There is always less movement than our previous camper. We usually pull in level the camper then put slide outs outs then re level. Usually works great. After we have been set up for a day or we notice that it is moving a little more than normal my husband goes out and hits auto level. It always re-levels us ocassionally it will say already level. We do that everyday or so. After you move around a bit back and forth they all get out of level. That usually always does the trick
__________________
2012 Georgetown 335DS
Camper Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Factory Rep
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
Columbus now offers the strong arm stab as an option. It really is reasonable in price and people say it works really well
Chris
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Member
 
1jeb289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Columbus
Columbus now offers the strong arm stab as an option. It really is reasonable in price and people say it works really well
Chris
Chris,

Can you elaborate on the strong arm stab?
1jeb289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
Factory Rep
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 123
The JT Strongarm system can be added by a dealer. We now offer it on new orders.
The dealer can contact His sakes rep. at Columbus and the rep will put him in contact with proper aftermarket
Chris
__________________

Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.


×